"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #21
DC's Angel

Can you believe it? Around here the do-gooders are so straight-laced they outlawed the age-old practice of children taking a thermos of Irish whisky to school to celebrare St. Patrick's day!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

same people who pooh-pooh the idea of bringing guns to school on the first day of deer/dove/turkey/pheasant season, Buck.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #23
DC's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
same people who pooh-pooh the idea of bringing guns to school on the first day of deer/dove/turkey/pheasant season, Buck.
I thought that was a constitutional right. You know, the right to arm bears.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

when the bears have guns, the terrorists will have won!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I think we have the 70/30 rule here too. Our fire marshall told us we have to keep the restroom doors closed at all times. I suppose he is going to stay in there to referee the fights that will break out all day long from kids goofing around (yeah right!). They are bad enough with the doors open (of course the stalls/urinals are not within sight of the open door, so they are not losing privacy with the doors open).

Things really have changed in schools. The kids have changed a lot too. When I was a kid you didn't ask to go to the nurse unless death was practically imminent. I have kids asking to go to the nurse to get a Bandaid, and when I ask them to show me where they are hurt there may be a speck barely visible to the naked eye. I have heard of a lot of schools banning games played on black-top playgrounds for fear that the kids will get hurt and the parents will sue. And most recently I heard on the news that the game of tag was banned in New York. By the time my grandkids have kids they will probably give birth then transfer the kid to a bubble to live out his/her life.

Barbara
Old 02-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #26
Senior Cook

It is hard to believe that any of us are alive to tell of those old days without all of these restrictions. My son does not believe me when I tell him about the old world. It is a shame that we restrict even the most mundane things in our childrens lives, and it is hard to watch the way they grow up glued to their video games.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook
Gaaahhhhh!! It makes you wonder how those of us over forty even lived this long. I skateboarded without a helmet, cycled without a helmet, roller-skated, fell out of trees, wrapped myself around trees while skiing, played baseball, football, kill-the-kid-with-the-ball, you name it...PLUS I can remember the halls being wall-to-wall with artwork and the school didn't burn down. Although at times we hoped it would LOL!
We didn't have Ritalin, there were no more than 3 TV channels, computers were something on Star Trek, video games were at that weird place in the mall, and never had to be yelled at to go outside. Herding us in was the problem.
We even had chicken pox.
Good grief! How in the world did we make it?
Grrrr.
Hugs,
Pook

Oooh yeah and riding in the front seat in cars, in the back with no seat belts. Wow, we're all rebels
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

We (they) work so hard to "protect" children that they grow up not prepared to deal with life in the real world.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I'm going to go out on a limb here (with a safety belt firmly attached) and say that while some of the rules mentioned here may indeed sound foolish and may not be based in sound reasoning, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Did many of us survive what now may be viewed as childhood hazards? Of course. But those who didn't aren't likely to post about it, are they?

Although I don't think we can cocoon our children, especially when it comes to their precious feelings possibly getting hurt by not receiving a Valentine's Day card, I'm certainly glad that we know so much more about protecting their physical safety.

So sure, it was a blast tumbling around inside a car unfettered or skateboarding off a ramp with your head unprotected, but would you really let your child do that today? Playgrounds may be constructed differently based on evidence of injury to children; a seesaw may be replaced by a different structure. If you're a parent who isn't overly protective, your kids will have fun no matter what. And they just may have a better chance of reaching a ripe old age where they, too, will wax nostalgic about the good ol' days.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #30
Everymom

Dang Suzy, you're such a killjoy.

You're supposed to let all us old geezers reminsce without being logical dang it!