When you don't want what's on your plate....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
The reason behind this post is that y mother is cooking for me tonight. I know what it isecause she said he thought I was looking a little anaemic, which means steak. (or liver in the winter). I love steak (and liver) but I want soe thing else. Not sure what (just read nice sounding spicey thai noodles!) but I know its not steak. Now, its not often I eat steak because of the price, so I should be getting really excited.....is there away to trick my taste buds and expectation to make e REALLY want that steak?

I've been very contrary lately, having cravings for food we don't have in the house and that I won't go out and buy, lol, so getting the idea of getting excited about what we DO have would be useful!

What do you guys do when other people in your households and you want different things, or when the grass is greener in another DCers kitchen?:pig:

You may just be surprised and like the steak once you take that first bite, or once you smell it cooking. If you have cravings though you should cater to them. Spicy Thai noodles aren't hard to make so you should feed that craving! If you have any left-over steak from your Mom's house take it home and add it to your noodle dish tomorrow.

When I read about all those great meals that other DC'ers are having?....most of the time it actually inspires me or I could just start weeping with jealousy :LOL:

Not a taste for steak?? My mouth is watering for a medium rare, juicy, chewy steak, mmmmm. I will trade you places. lol
I'm eating chicken strips for dinner, AGAIN. That is the only meat dh can eat well enough right now.

I think I'd tell my mother not to make steak, please.
I'd suggest some other family favorite; butter her up with
compliments and how much you have been craving it,
would she make it pleeeeeeease?!?!

Whoever cooks chooses what to make. The DW and I pretty much know each others taste so I won't go put a heaping pile of bolognese in front of her.

Maybe some sort of compromise? Slice the steak and make a spicy thai stir fry.

Oh lulu, I've been in that situation many times.

I show enthusiasm and appreciation for the intent and effort on my behalf, and just make what I'm craving the next night. It's just one meal, after all!

Lee

Oh man, I have been in this position so many times since I'm a really picky eater. (I've discussed this before and I know it's all in my head and I wish I could get over at least some of the food aversions I have.)

Anyway, like Grilling Fool, I generally request having a special dish (read different dish) that they make especially well that I adore. If they don't care to make that or have their heart set on whatever thing I can't make myself eat, I then make a little something for myself and tell the cook that I know I'm mental but for some reason, I just don't think I could eat that right now. And I apologize like crazy. (I do tell the cook before hand because I don't want them to think it's the way they have prepared the dish.)

Anyway, I know it's not the best or most polite thing and I'm really lucky that my friends and family love me because there is a lot of stuff I just can't make myself eat.

Sorry it's a hard time that you're going through Lulu. Personally, I think there's something in the water because many of us are going through crud right now for whatever reason.

My husband is B blood and I'm A+. We eat and crave completely different foods all the time. We compromise. I make him what I know he adores and I eat a little plus add some fruits or vegetables to my plate. I make things that I like too and know he won't particularly enjoy them so I opt for something I know will make him happy like really cold cinnamon sugar sprinkled applesauce and I'll make him a specialty bread with lots of butter. I don't eat but know he will and will enjoy even if he hates the lentil soup I made as our meal that night.

Cravings sometimes are your body telling you, "hey, listen, I NEED this".
Irritability can be a symtom of iron diffiecency, also.
I don't do (calves liver) so I can empathize there.
I suffered low iron in my teens and 20s, so i found a variety of foods to help.

Apricots; dried are ok
oat and wheat bran; muffins are good (add the apricots chopped)
prune juice
spinach (I can never get enough of this)
ground lean beef
clams/mussels/oysters

So if your body is calling, listen.
You're not confined to liver and steak. Although I can't get enough of steak either.

So do your noodles, by all means, but maybe cut up the steak to stir fry and add.
OMG, I'm making myself hungry.
Good Luck, Lulu

Cravings sometimes are your body telling you, "hey, listen, I NEED this".

Oh boy, I crave weird things though (I even did a stick test last week so don't any of you get all excited, its not that ;)) I've pencilled the noodles in for Thursday night (I have to fast now for 36 hours for a blood test) and hopefully I'll still be craving them then! (I also kind of fancy a fish souffle)

But then i'm always a little envious of pregant women who can eat vanilla icecream with a pickle on the side if they crave it, because I think that sounds yummy, lol.

Its Greenich mean time here, so i have just politely finished my steak (with a heap of wholegrain dijon to add some sweet pep to it) and despite thinking aout noodles the whole time, I'll live. :rolleyes:

Your body thanks you.
Good luck with your blood test. 36 hours no food?

Shoot me now!

You look at your cravings as peculiar food or combos.
Your body looks at them as chemicals. 2 different languages.​

Your body thanks you.
Good luck with your blood test. 36 hours no food?

Shoot me now!

You look at your cravings as peculiar food or combos.

Your body looks at them as chemicals. 2 different languages.​

I know, I'll feel like that tomorro too. But to be fair, they've had me go A LOT lobnger than 36 hours without food before.

Hmm, so icecream and ickles might be excusable.....:pig::LOL:

jake's not wanting my planned dinner of pasta alla puscanetta, he wants meatloaf. so i'm cooking both dinners.
i'd love fer him to love my foods, yet i understand. sometimes you want a certain dish or don't wanna try what you're not hungry fer that day.
when he's open to new dishes some days, it's okay. just not to where i don't wanna bother to cook.

The reason you can't get in the mood for steak may be that you feel you have to eat it. For instance, I like ramen soups (with vegetables and Tabasco added). But if we don't have money for groceries, and that is all that is in the house, many times I don't like it. I also love chicken. As soon as I was told I need to eat more chicken and less beef, I don't like chicken as much.

It is too late for tonight, but when this happens again (you know it will!) if there is a particular side-dish that you really like along with steak (or liver) ask your mom if she can make that to go with it, or make it yourself and bring it along.

:)Barbara

Its Greenich mean time here, so i have just politely finished my steak (with a heap of wholegrain dijon to add some sweet pep to it) and despite thinking aout noodles the whole time, I'll live. :rolleyes:

You're a good daughter, lulu! :)

Go crazy tomorrow night with your cravings!

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom