"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2006, 04:13 AM   #1
Master Chef

When you rise before the sun?

what do you like to do?
i was up at like 2 in the morning today. it got me thinking. i have a few things to shop for, yep, it's 4 in the morning. i'm having a drink first.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Last time I was up and awake that early and not because my baby girl needed me was a short while before she was born. I was up at 3am and decided that would be the perfect time to finish painting her room. It was so peaceful and relaxing to be up that early and have the room done by the time the sun came up.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I only freak out now if i wake up and its 3am (re: the exorsism of emily rose!)
Old 02-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
If I am ever up that early, it's usually short lived and for one reason: potty break from sleeping.

Nope, no kids. At least not yet. Then there will be a few (dozen) more reasons, I am sure!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I wake up frequently at 3 am - usually potty break - but my mind starts working - I remember things to do the next day - or come up with solutions to things I have been thinking about. I think my brain works best at this time-maybe because I am relaxed. I used to get up and get some stuff done -scrapbook, pay bills, organize stuff - but now that I need to conserve my energy for my son the next day, I try to force myself to go to sleep. I have found this is the best time for me to say my prayers.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Head Chef

Well, I'm almost always up, and usually even at the office before the sun comes up.

So if I end up waking up at 3:00, it's not that big a deal. I just get an extra 90 minutes or so to either watch the news, or get in to the office.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
wow, ronjohn, you are an early riser - kudos to you!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thank goodness I don't wake up that early anymore. The insomnia is over, thankfully. Us women are constantly thinking of "what next" and our minds are going 100 miles per hour all day long! You know what I mean ladies. I used to be woken up by all the thoughts and anxieties I had - trying to get things done in my head and they'd never get done anyway. Now I just say "---- it"! If I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning now, it's only to check on the kids when they're sick.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

freaks!!!!!!!!!!! all o' yous, especially ronjohn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, just kidding, but who the heck gets up at 3am. going to bed at 3am is no biggie, but getting up for nothing???

i'll get up that early to ski, or fish, or backpack, or even break out the telescope, but just to hang about is incredible to me.

actually, my best morning, hands down, that i got up before sunrise was a number of years ago for a solo canoe fishing trip.
i loaded up the truck the night before, caught a few winks, and was on the lake at about 4am, before sunrise.
the entire lake was fogged in, mist rolling about like waves. i loaded up the "swee' pea" (the name of my canoe) and sailed into the mystic. lol, i still remember putting that song in the tape player, and then listening to the eagles' "the last resort". it was one of those moments in life when the music speaks to you.

well, i know this one lake especially well, and where my favorite holes are so i approximated my heading, set the trolling motor, and readied my rods.

after a while of guesstimating, and a few casts into the pea soup, the sun began to break over the tops of the surrounding ridges, buring off the fog in pockets. it was amazing, as the breeze would blow the amoebic patches of fog around like giant cotton balls, in one instance you'd be submersed in it, blind beyond the front seats of the canoe, and the next you'd burst out into a clearing, and could see across sections of the lake, sun streaming down thru them in golden rays.

i just sat back, turned off the motor and radio, and drifted with it, becoming part of the flow.
i drifted close to a point of land, around which, in one of the clearings of fog, i could see a doe and fawn playing, almost bouncing around in the shallows.
fish were jumping and rolling on the suface now that breakfast was visible, but i didn't cast even once. it wasn't the time.
hawks and eagles began their morning flights, drifting along the ridges and out over the lake, with an occasional giant swoop of their mighty wings to find another thermal. i watched them glide, in and out of the sun, so graceful in their daily routine.
then WHAM!!! the swee' pea had found a sumberged rock near the far shore from the launch, and i was startled back into this life. i turned around to see the entire lake was clear, the park rangers driving by on the shore road above me off the bow chucked a wave hello, and a laugh. so i cranked up the motor, spun a 180, and headed out for the morning of great fishing.

i can't really describe the tranquility that entered my heart that day, of things incredibly naturally beautiful, but that morning will live within me forever.

now back to you morning freaks.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Master Chef

As a lifelong insomniac, I have to say reading is the answer for me. 3 a.m. and I are well-acquainted. Now I have a sickly old dog, and I feed her prescription, then curl up with a book and hope to drift off (usually do, right before sunrise) and get another hour of sleep. If I do something too active or visuall stimulating (i.e., computer, TV) it will keep me awake. A book, no matter how exciting and interesting, allows me to drift off for that one more hour of sleep I need.