"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Do flat spaces also include the floor? The only reason the freezer has not accumulated lots of junk is because it's the only place for the cats to eat.
Around here if the cats lie still for too long we just stack stuff on them.

Barbara

Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hey, I can have two new, portable end tables.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

we have 2 kitchens (2 family house), so when both freezers get stuffed, i tend to take out old containers of things like pea soup or lamb stew to make room, and bring them in to work.

the guys i work with are like garbage disposals, and that way i don't feel bad about wasting food.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm starting to think that I'll just stick with my current freezer. At least when it is full like this, I can spend my grocery dollars on splurge type things like a pound of corned beef and french bread for pressed sandwiches. Deli counter, here I come.

I also need room for the leftover turkey if I can find one on sale, probably after Christmas. I'll ask DN, Margie if she wants to split one. One of us can cook it whole then cut it in half.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

For most of my married life I had a small chest freezer. But the last time we moved, I never replaced it. I kept meaning to. But, in spite of the fact that I freeze a lot of what I cook, I manage to make do. Much space comes from not freezing things in plastic containers. Or, rather, I do, but the next day I "pop" them out of the plastic container and place in a baggie. Another thing that helps is that I have two huge rectangular Tupperware containers (from when I bought 10 lbs bags of flour, sugar, rice, etc) that I use to toss in odds and ends (say, baggies of pesto, small cuts of meat, odds and ends of bones and vegs for stock, and other little things) that I kind of use as "drawers". I like to have some kind of each type of meat on hand, which, again, I freeze in their original trays, then when space is needed, pop out of their trays, bag or wrap to minimize the amount of space they take.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I remember when I was a little girl (in the 60's, through 1972), our freezer was inside of the refrigerator. It was big enough for a couple ice trays and maybe a half gallon of ice cream.

Barbara
P.S. LOL I wasn't still a "little" girl in 1972, but that is when we moved from San Diego to Vista).
Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
For most of my married life I had a small chest freezer. But the last time we moved, I never replaced it. I kept meaning to. But, in spite of the fact that I freeze a lot of what I cook, I manage to make do. Much space comes from not freezing things in plastic containers. Or, rather, I do, but the next day I "pop" them out of the plastic container and place in a baggie. Another thing that helps is that I have two huge rectangular Tupperware containers (from when I bought 10 lbs bags of flour, sugar, rice, etc) that I use to toss in odds and ends (say, baggies of pesto, small cuts of meat, odds and ends of bones and vegs for stock, and other little things) that I kind of use as "drawers". I like to have some kind of each type of meat on hand, which, again, I freeze in their original trays, then when space is needed, pop out of their trays, bag or wrap to minimize the amount of space they take.
I had been toying with the idea of a small chest freezer, but have decided against it especially due to some comments in this thread. If it's too full, it's because I overbought . I had the chance for that 10# fresh ham, and it was a good idea. I did have room for everything after all. I always have beef, pork and chicken and pork sausage on hand for variety too.

One big advantage of a really full freezer is that as long as I have a surplus, I can splurge on other things. The cheese splurge last week was quite a treat and I still have some of each of them left. I'm really enjoying giving myself treats like that.

I like your idea about the large container for all those little packages. When the freezer is full like this, it can be hard to find some of those. It will also perhaps put away some of those little items in the freezer door like my 1/3 bags of veggies, my ginger. Little bags of pork fat, bacon fat pieces, etc.

I also bag things like dinner size portions of rice and stack them. About the only time I take things out of a container is when I run out of containers LOL, but it is easy to pop something small out and bag it.

I use stackable containers for leftover soups, gravies, and otherwise sloppy food. I probably should put them in bags too, I always have small, medium and large on hand. I even have a sharpie type marker right next to the fridge that I can write down what and when it is. If I can just train myself to do it. MEMO to SELF: Get MORE organized

Thanks for you insight.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
Head Chef

I had to move my chest freezer out of the shed recently, and to do it, I loaded the contents into canvas shopping bags so I could carry them across the lawn to the back porch . Once I got the freezer across to the porch, I put the bags back in.

I am going to keep those bags in the freezer--they have proven very useful. If the stuff I want is not on top, I can lift out a bag and look underneath.

If I was organized, one bag would hold veggies, one chicken, one beef, etc, but I was in a hurry when I packed the bags. When I move the freezer back into my new garage, I will sort things better.

I like the bags better than the plastic bins I have used in the past--they pack in better, and they don't crack when they get cold.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I had to move my chest freezer out of the shed recently, and to do it, I loaded the contents into canvas shopping bags so I could carry them across the lawn to the back porch . Once I got the freezer across to the porch, I put the bags back in.

I am going to keep those bags in the freezer--they have proven very useful. If the stuff I want is not on top, I can lift out a bag and look underneath.

If I was organized, one bag would hold veggies, one chicken, one beef, etc, but I was in a hurry when I packed the bags. When I move the freezer back into my new garage, I will sort things better.

I like the bags better than the plastic bins I have used in the past--they pack in better, and they don't crack when they get cold.
Excellent idea, thank you! Now I know how to rearrange the freezer.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Excellent idea, thank you! Now I know how to rearrange the freezer.
That really is a good idea. When you organize with the bags you could either use a different color bag for each category, or you could use light colored bags and write the category on the carrying straps/handles.

Barbara