"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Aside from the kitchen cabinets, I have a 6-foot tall cabinet in a half bath off the kitchen (see Kitchen Aid mixer story)and steel shelving in the basement where I keep equipment and food items.
I was trying to avoid rubbing in what happens when a KA mixer is dropped on a toilet....no toilet in the area where I've put the shelves, no threat of damage to toilet or kitchen gadget in the basement...and I didn't mention the 3 freezers and the extra fridge...I considered using the small room (8 x 8 ft) that is between the family room and the kitchen as a pantry--decided I'd rather use it as a library since I have 1000 cookbooks to store...

Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I was trying to avoid rubbing in what happens when a KA mixer is dropped on a toilet....no toilet in the area where I've put the shelves, no threat of damage to toilet or kitchen gadget in the basement...and I didn't mention the 3 freezers and the extra fridge...I considered using the small room (8 x 8 ft) that is between the family room and the kitchen as a pantry--decided I'd rather use it as a library since I have 1000 cookbooks to store...
Show-off!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Show-off!
That house is way too big for one person--but I have admit, I've missed my wall-to-wall closet (complete with dressers, etc.). I'll have to take a picture of it....I am a built-in type of person and have a craftsman who can build what I want....otherwise, I couldn't afford any of this! And, I have way too much stuff....
Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Okay, Miss Smarty Pants! Brat!
That's me!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Not long after Glenn and I got married, he built me a "pot locker" in the utility room just off the kitchen for all my cookware and baking pans. It's floor to ceiling shelves and is about 8 feet across. It's nearly 2 feet deep and I love it.

In the same room, just across from that new storage closet is a standard closet, with a 36-inch door. It's a deep closet and the shelves in it are almost 3-feet deep. Those shelves contain all our electric countertop appliances such as crock-pots, ice cream maker, waffle irons (there are 5 of various types), hand mixer, contact grills, etc.

I have our KitchenAid mixer on a counter in the kitchen, as well as our coffee maker, blender and Cuisinart. The stick blender and electric knife are wall-mounted.

A year ago Glenn built a 10' x 16' storage room on our 60-foot-long rear porch. That houses seldom used pots and pans, all our canning equipment and seasonal dishware, along with my huge collection of cookie cutters. Our second refrigerator and a large upright freezer is also there.

We also store our cases of paper towels, our supply of 1-gallon jugs of homemade laundry detergent, and all the jars of vegetables, fruits and jams and jellies that I can from our garden.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Kinda guessed that!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a tiny enclosed square kitchen and I love it.

When we bought the place, I needed a space to use as an "equipment pantry", and the only way that this kitchen would work for me is to have the equipment pantry. I converted the coat closet right across from one of the kitchen doors into the equipment pantry, that's where all of the pots and pans and small appliances go along with some canned goods. It's small, so I have to keep it organized.

To the left if the door frame are shallow shelves for canned and dry goods.

it is small, so I have to cull it once a year. I am getting ready to do it again, then I can make space for new things! I buy no new cookware or appliance unless it has a space in there!

I keep the freezer in the basement in a closet built under the stairs, out of site. In that closet I also keep all of my cake boxes and boards.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Master Chef

I live in an apartment, and the kitchen is small. I don't know the dimensions off-hand. Each cupboard has its own purpose... canned goods/etc, pans, plates, glasses, teas/coffee/misc, spices, cleaning stuff, silverware, handy tools, one for my hand mixer/other misc kitchen items and a junk drawer. Don't ask what's in that, because you never know what you'll find.

On the counters, I keep my mixer, can opener, toaster, microwave, canisters, coffee maker, a coffee mug rack, basket full of kitchen towels (I use those more than paper towels) and a tall glass filled with drinking straws.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
Master Chef

Things I use only once a year, or seasonally, go into the cellar on some shelves down there.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a floor the ceiling pantry which needs to be re-organized. Dh has completely made a mess in there as well as my or should I say his kitchen???? Argggh I had to go and get sick, Ever had a mn man handle your freezer throwing out every thing he thinks has been there too long?All my frozen garlic and parsley Yea gods the man is a menace!!! anywho the garage is lined with cabnets to hold anything we don't use often or is to large wo fit in the house pantry.Things are getting a tad crowded so a good chuck in the garbage is going to happen soon.
kades

Tags
kitchen