Where do you store your kitchen stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Like many people, I do not have a kitchen that was designed to accommodate all my kitchen stuff. I do, however, have a full basement (this is at the house in the city). I lived in that house for a number of years, and then got this idea I wanted to live at the farm, so rented the house out. Well, as much as I love the farm, it is a bit removed from my life and so have decided to return to the city property (which is rural, so the chickens can come with me). Instead of returning all my kitchen stuff to the kitchen, I've decided that the 20 qt. stock pot and the others, turkey roaster, roaster ovens (that would be 2), the crockpots, ice cream maker, meat grinder, bread machine, electric wok, tomato press, apple peeler, spiroli, etc. can live on shelves in the basement. In the kitchen, I am keeping the stuff I use regularly--food processor, stand mixer--it is too heavy to lug up and downstairs. Where do y'all find space for the things you don't use all the time? (And, given that the basement is empty except for the shelves I've installed, I have about 1300 sq. feet for kitchen gadgets!) I don't know why I didn't think of this before...

Aside from the kitchen cabinets, I have a 6-foot tall cabinet in a half bath off the kitchen (see Kitchen Aid mixer story)and steel shelving in the basement where I keep equipment and food items.

I have an outdoor storage house with lots of shelves. I store oversize and seldom used cooking equipment out there along with extra pantry items. I love being able to take advantage of grocery sales.

I have wire shelves in what would be the dining area that hold my appliances, my freezer is in the same room along with the canned goods pantry. The microwave is on the shelves and the only appliance that is plugged in. My "coffee, toaster bar" is on a roll around counter in the dining area, too.

We don't eat in the dining area...

I have a small kitchen (7'X8') so I found a space between the foyer closet and the wall next to the kitchen to fit a 4 shelf bookcase where I keep my roasting pan, muffin tin, and extras like spare coffee, extra jar of mayo, sugar, extra creamer (I don't ever want to run out of makings for my morning coffee).

Last edited:
I have a small kitchen (7'X8') so I found a space between the foyer closet and the wall next to the kitchen to fit a 4 shelf bookcase where I keep my roasting pan, muffin tin, and extras like spare coffee, extra jar of mayo, sugar, extra creamer (I don't ever want to run out of makings for my morning coffee).

7 foot by 8 inches...that is small. I thought mine was tiny...:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
CWS -- I am glad to read the girls are moving back into town with you. I was afraid they might come along for the ride, only freezer bag style. Did you know in Mpls it is legal to grow chickens in an enclosed back yard. Family a block away from me has chickenwire fence and nylyon netting across the top And a cute chicken house next to their garage. Shade tree for their girls too.

I am blessed with a kitchen with Many cupboards, so most things are stacked away, out of sight. I have one cupboard I call the Den of Useless Gadgets and Never open it-- the pasta maker, tortilla press, french fry cutter ( why? I have a sharp knife !). That cupboard is right next to the Tupperware Cupboard with mix and match and missing bowls or covers. I keep my canning jar kettle, turkey roaster and a humongous stock pot in a cupboard in the basement. The cupboard shelves are full, so there must be other equipment not used very often, probably an extra waffle iron or two. My too heavy juicer sits on the shop bench with a pillow case dust cover. I keep threatening myself I am going to use it right there, but I do lug it upstairs ervery once in a while. The basement double cupboard with doors was built by a prev. owner, is quite handy and the back of it, floor to ceiling, serves as a wall separating the laundry room from the furnace room. I put in a shop bench when I first moved in, but really, I prefer the workshop I built in my garage ( more room) for doing projects. The other half of the basement is a "family room" or rec - room. I have the freezer plugged in there, otherwise that half of the basement is EMPTY>>> Even after many years. Yay!!!

PS -- I did Not go to any estate sales all winter and did Not buy anything new to lug home. Double Yay!!

We have a full, unfinished basement where, for years, I grew orchids, along with all my flowers and veggies from seed under growlights on huge steel shelf units. I don't do that anymore. Now the shelves act as a pantry and wine cellar. I have a big wardrobe where I store housepaints, brushes, and other stuff. Part of the basement is used for canning supplies, canned goods, roasters, apple slicers, juicers, etc. The rest of the space is still used for my woodworking shop.

Last edited:
Aside from the kitchen cabinets, I have a 6-foot tall cabinet in a half bath off the kitchen (see Kitchen Aid mixer story)and steel shelving in the basement where I keep equipment and food items.
I was trying to avoid rubbing in what happens when a KA mixer is dropped on a toilet....no toilet in the area where I've put the shelves, no threat of damage to toilet or kitchen gadget in the basement...and I didn't mention the 3 freezers and the extra fridge...I considered using the small room (8 x 8 ft) that is between the family room and the kitchen as a pantry--decided I'd rather use it as a library since I have 1000 cookbooks to store...

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
I was trying to avoid rubbing in what happens when a KA mixer is dropped on a toilet....no toilet in the area where I've put the shelves, no threat of damage to toilet or kitchen gadget in the basement...and I didn't mention the 3 freezers and the extra fridge...I considered using the small room (8 x 8 ft) that is between the family room and the kitchen as a pantry--decided I'd rather use it as a library since I have 1000 cookbooks to store...

Show-off!

Show-off!
That house is way too big for one person--but I have admit, I've missed my wall-to-wall closet (complete with dressers, etc.). I'll have to take a picture of it....I am a built-in type of person and have a craftsman who can build what I want....otherwise, I couldn't afford any of this! And, I have way too much stuff....

Not long after Glenn and I got married, he built me a "pot locker" in the utility room just off the kitchen for all my cookware and baking pans. It's floor to ceiling shelves and is about 8 feet across. It's nearly 2 feet deep and I love it.

In the same room, just across from that new storage closet is a standard closet, with a 36-inch door. It's a deep closet and the shelves in it are almost 3-feet deep. Those shelves contain all our electric countertop appliances such as crock-pots, ice cream maker, waffle irons (there are 5 of various types), hand mixer, contact grills, etc.

I have our KitchenAid mixer on a counter in the kitchen, as well as our coffee maker, blender and Cuisinart. The stick blender and electric knife are wall-mounted.

A year ago Glenn built a 10' x 16' storage room on our 60-foot-long rear porch. That houses seldom used pots and pans, all our canning equipment and seasonal dishware, along with my huge collection of cookie cutters. Our second refrigerator and a large upright freezer is also there.

We also store our cases of paper towels, our supply of 1-gallon jugs of homemade laundry detergent, and all the jars of vegetables, fruits and jams and jellies that I can from our garden.

Last edited:
I have a tiny enclosed square kitchen and I love it.

When we bought the place, I needed a space to use as an "equipment pantry", and the only way that this kitchen would work for me is to have the equipment pantry. I converted the coat closet right across from one of the kitchen doors into the equipment pantry, that's where all of the pots and pans and small appliances go along with some canned goods. It's small, so I have to keep it organized.

To the left if the door frame are shallow shelves for canned and dry goods.
SG1L3568.JPG

it is small, so I have to cull it once a year. I am getting ready to do it again, then I can make space for new things! I buy no new cookware or appliance unless it has a space in there!

I keep the freezer in the basement in a closet built under the stairs, out of site. In that closet I also keep all of my cake boxes and boards.

I live in an apartment, and the kitchen is small. I don't know the dimensions off-hand. Each cupboard has its own purpose... canned goods/etc, pans, plates, glasses, teas/coffee/misc, spices, cleaning stuff, silverware, handy tools, one for my hand mixer/other misc kitchen items and a junk drawer. Don't ask what's in that, because you never know what you'll find.

On the counters, I keep my mixer, can opener, toaster, microwave, canisters, coffee maker, a coffee mug rack, basket full of kitchen towels (I use those more than paper towels) and a tall glass filled with drinking straws.

We have a floor the ceiling pantry which needs to be re-organized. Dh has completely made a mess in there as well as my or should I say his kitchen???? Argggh I had to go and get sick, Ever had a mn man handle your freezer throwing out every thing he thinks has been there too long?All my frozen garlic and parsley Yea gods the man is a menace!!! anywho the garage is lined with cabnets to hold anything we don't use often or is to large wo fit in the house pantry.Things are getting a tad crowded so a good chuck in the garbage is going to happen soon.
kades

Back
Top Bottom