"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Executive Chef

What time of the year are you planning on visiting? So is hot and No is cold. If you opt for the beach in So Ca, make sure it's not during the rainy season -- and in the dead of summer temp can go to 110. If you're going No in the winter, bring lots of warm clothes. So many terrains here - snow (skiing etc.), ocean/beach, desert, mountains.

If you drive to Palm Springs, take the helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon.

I prefer so ca, because it's warm and you can drive or take a short flight to No. (San Fran, or Tahoe, San Diego, Santa Barbara, etc.), the desert (vegas, palm springs, etc). I'm not a fisher, mostly into beach, dining, & shopping, or if you like nightlife - being in proximity to a big city, rather than a remote secluded area.

You could rent a house on the beach or condos/timeshares. Off season is reasonable for anything - just about anywhere you go. Check out prices and time of the year. Take a drive up the 101, from the beaches in so ca to Montery or Carmel or just keep gong to San Fran. Check out all the Piers- santa Monica, Malibu, Oxnard is nice. Catalina is a good day trip.

If you like touristy things - check out the Hearst Castle or Solvang. San Francisco is awesome - but too cold for me in the winter. Visit the Napa Valley and go wine tasting. If you're in No ca, Kings Canyon is breathtaking -- as well as Yosemite. So much to do here and nearby.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Also, how long are you planning your trip for? Some of the things you're listing that you guys want to do are in different places and regions so some of it depends on how much time you have.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
Master Chef

We are talking about the summer, June or July. We are only going to be there a week. San Fran sounds and looks like what we're looking for, but, I've got stuff coming from San Diego also.
Thanks for everyones suggestions!!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Go to Morro Bay...half way betwen SF and LA ... on the coast, lots to see and do...old hippie town...BIG rock in the water. kewl place, great food.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I agree with Raven. Go to SF. It's a wonderful town with a million things to do! It can also be very very romantic, if your in that kind of mood.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Since you're going in the summertime, I second San Fran and Wine Country. A good way to do it would be to split it up with 3 days in SF, 2 days in the Sonoma Valley region, and 2 days in the Napa Valley region. Also, it depends on how much you guys like wine. If you're not wine drinkers, you wouldn't want to spend as much time in Napa and Sonoma unless you guys wanted to do more outdoors type stuff like hiking. Some things to see (I know some were already mentioned):

San Francisco:
  • Chinatown
  • Fisherman's Wharf
  • Coit Tower
  • TransAmerica Pyramid
  • North Beach (lots of good Italian restaurants)
  • Alcatraz
  • Japanese Tea Garden
  • Golden Gate Park (nice place for a lunch picnic)
  • California Academy of Science
  • Lombard Street
  • SF Museum of Modern Art
Napa Valley:
  • Wineries (of course)
  • Calistoga Hot Springs
  • Wine Train
  • Culinary Institute of America at Greystone
  • Napa River Tours
  • Petrefied Forrest
Sonoma Valley:
  • Wineries
  • Champagne Caves
  • Hot Air Balloon ride
  • Russian River
  • Jack London Park
  • Tomales Bay (eat some oysters fresh from the water)
  • Mendocino (quaint east-coast type fishing town)
  • Goat Rock Beach
Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Great list, IC.

I'd add Sausalito and a tour of the Muir Woods.

http://www.sausalito.org/

http://www.sausalito.org/attractions.cfm

In San Fran one of my favorite streets had several restaurants, cafes and shops. Was it 2nd St? Can't recall the name. One of many restaurants I liked was called Delancey St.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I'd say, go to kadesma's house. You would be well fed with extraordinary food!

San Fran is a good city if $$$. I lived close by for a year and went to the city every weekend. There is an excellent restaurant on the tip of my tongue but just can't remember it. I'll let you know when I do. Looks like you have some good info already.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #19
Master Chef

If you go up towards Mendocino and Ft. Bragg you should go see the Pt. Cabrillo Lighthouse. It is a fully operating lighthouse. The Mendocino Mustard Company in Mendocino has some really great mustards. I like their sweet hot mustard for dipping pretzels.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
If you go up towards Mendocino and Ft. Bragg you should go see the Pt. Cabrillo Lighthouse. It is a fully operating lighthouse. The Mendocino Mustard Company in Mendocino has some really great mustards. I like their sweet hot mustard for dipping pretzels.
Also, you can go to the Mendocino Brewing CO. and try their various micro-brews. A nice destination place in the event you're sick of and/or aren't into wine.

In SF there is also Anchor Brewing which makes some nice beers as well.

Admins/Site Helpers...maybe this thread should be moved to the DC Road forum?