"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Tadich Grill! San Fran's oldest restaurant, been around since 1849! I couldn't find a website but here is some info http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-299683/??&t=0 I love that place!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Since you're going in the summertime, I second San Fran and Wine Country. A good way to do it would be to split it up with 3 days in SF, 2 days in the Sonoma Valley region, and 2 days in the Napa Valley region. Also, it depends on how much you guys like wine. If you're not wine drinkers, you wouldn't want to spend as much time in Napa and Sonoma unless you guys wanted to do more outdoors type stuff like hiking. Some things to see (I know some were already mentioned):

San Francisco:
  • Chinatown
  • Fisherman's Wharf
  • Coit Tower
  • TransAmerica Pyramid
  • North Beach (lots of good Italian restaurants)
  • Alcatraz
  • Japanese Tea Garden
  • Golden Gate Park (nice place for a lunch picnic)
  • California Academy of Science
  • Lombard Street
  • SF Museum of Modern Art
Napa Valley:
  • Wineries (of course)
  • Calistoga Hot Springs
  • Wine Train
  • Culinary Institute of America at Greystone
  • Napa River Tours
  • Petrefied Forrest
Sonoma Valley:
  • Wineries
  • Champagne Caves
  • Hot Air Balloon ride
  • Russian River
  • Jack London Park
  • Tomales Bay (eat some oysters fresh from the water)
  • Mendocino (quaint east-coast type fishing town)
  • Goat Rock Beach

You've nailed my favorite spots!

Add:

Monterey Peninsula-17-mile drive, Carmel and Pebble Beach.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #23
Head Chef

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the spectacular 17-mile drive from SF to Monterey along the Pacific coast. At Monterey you'll find a great great great aquarium, the old haunts of John Steinbeck (like the Cannery Row), Pebble Beach, and the nearby enchanting town called Carmel-by-the-Sea (Clint Eastwood is ex-mayor) where I thought I stepped into storybook land with quaint cottages a la Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

The coastal highway north of San Francisco is a beautiful drive. Drive up through Bodega Bay where the movie, "Birds" was filmed to the old Russian settlement a little to the north...
Old 06-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Monterey/Carmel/Pebble Beach/etc. would also be some nice places to visit, but not with only one weeks worth of time. You could do it I guess, but it would be so hectic and fast paced because of all the driving you'd need to do it wouldn't be worth it to venture in that direction unless you had more time. If you did have more time, than one could also check out Big Sur, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, etc.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #26
Master Chef

Well, we may just have to make it 2 weeks!! LOL
I'm excited now.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I'd say, go to kadesma's house. You would be well fed with extraordinary food!
That is exactly what I would do if I were ever in California!! With next stop being Jkath's house
Old 06-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
San Fran is a good city if $$$. I lived close by for a year and went to the city every weekend. There is an excellent restaurant on the tip of my tongue but just can't remember it. I'll let you know when I do. Looks like you have some good info already.
Cora pick up a copy (or go on line) to Frommer's. We found some excellent eateries etc. that were not costly. One was a mom & pop type place (not fancy), where we had paella (till it was coming out of our ears) and the dishes kept on coming for about $15. Check out Delancey St., the money goes to a good cause, and you can't beat the prices, food and service. Lunch is inexpensive, if you nibble in the Fisherman's wharf, and save your $ for a few special dinners. Chinatown is inexpensive, and there are some excellent restaurants. All Raven's suggestions are good ones, and I found San Fran one of the least expensive cities I've visited.

Wish chefwill were here. As I recall, he's a chef at one of the best places in Yosemite.

TG, make it a month, lol. So much to see and do here.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Cora pick up a copy (or go on line) to Frommer's. We found some excellent eateries etc. that were not costly. One was a mom & pop type place (not fancy), where we had paella (till it was coming out of our ears) and the dishes kept on coming for about $15. Check out Delancey St., the money goes to a good cause, and you can't beat the prices, food and service. Lunch is inexpensive, if you nibble in the Fisherman's wharf, and save your $ for a few special dinners. Chinatown is inexpensive, and there are some excellent restaurants. All Raven's suggestions are good ones, and I found San Fran one of the least expensive cities I've visited.
I suppose I meant cost of living. I agree with you about the restaurants though, you can find good places for relatively cheap. I love the food at fisherman's wharf.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 AM   #30
DC Grandma

I have been to all the above mentioned places and they all are $$$...I grew up in San Diego and that would be my choice. So much to do and so many places to see. It will be quite warm in July but it won't have the Humidity that Florida has. The nights will be cool so a jacket or sweater will be needed. The nights stay warm in Florida..
Marge~Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote