"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #21
Master Chef

Your right wannabake!!
We all need to sit back and rethink our lives sometimes. What we really need and what we can do without.
We need to tell everyone that has had an impact on our lives how much we love them and remember that always!!

Old 09-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #22
Master Chef

Hubby and I are both veterans and world travelers, and have not been happy with the response to New Orleans. Texas, right next door, and I might add, the home of our esteemed president, has a military presence that could challenge many countries, yet their national guard wasn't called out to help right away, and they could have been mobilized within hours. BTW, the National Guard "belongs" to the governer of each state. The president can call them up, but as a general rule, for local emergencies, the governer of each state decides what is going to happen with his/her own troops. Hubby believes that the commisioner of police and the mayor are guilty of cowardice under fire. There were thousands at the superdome, and where was the mayor? Even when we went there as tourists, eveyone knew if a hurricane hit the city, it would be a disaster. When it happened, where were the "leaders"? No wonder the young won't vote.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #23
Executive Chef

The USA has always had the policy of politely refusing offers of aid. Offers have been made from countries like mine (UK), Germany, Canada, Australia, France and even South American countries who have little to give. It has all been refused.

I think this is extremely short-sighted of the US Govt. We WANT to help. LA and Mississippi need help. It has been nothing short of a scandal for it to take so long to get aid into the stricken areas.

My heart goes out to all those who are caught up in the catastrophe.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

This is certainly a tragedy of massive proportions and it is just going to get worse before it gets better.

Lets keep in mind that we can not discuss politics here. Please keep this thread void of any political comments. I know with a situation like this that that is not going to be easy, but it is something we must do. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I know Texas is doing all it can to help their neighbors. We've taken in as many as we can and are telling them to keep on coming. People here are doing everything they can to help. I live in the Houston area. It's just amazing. It is sad though that with the good people, are coming a lot of bad ones. People who are looters and druggies that have not had their drugs and are going through withdrawal, people who have lost it and need help. Unfortunately , these people are having to live together. I feel like everyone is doing what they can. No one was prepared for this and should have been. Especially New Orleans. They've just been very lucky. It was a matter of time. It could have easily hit my area. I would have gotten out of the area quickly. People need to quit worrying about the what ifs, and they should of, and just start doing what they can to help. Oh, and don't forget the animals. They need help too!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Ohhh goodie! A discussion I can sink my teeth into!

How do you mobilize what is needed at the drop of a hat? This is NOT just New Orleans. This is the whole Gulf Coast. Did we know this was going to happen on this scale? no. Could this have been done quicker? Probably. How much quicker? Possibly one day sooner. Whos to blame? The people that COULD have left when they were told its MANDITORY to leave. Ride a bike. Run. Walk. Whatever. The people that my heart hurts most for are the ones that were in the hospitals and the elderly. They had no choice.

The government is doing their best to mobilize what needs to get there. And if you are perfect please tell us. If you can see into the future please tell us.

Whether you agree with me or not I still love ya. Lets work the problem and quit pointing fingers. Lets do our best to encourage and help the good folks that need it.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #27
Master Chef

This not an argument, just a factual clarification.
Ishbel said:
Quote:
The USA has always had the policy of politely refusing offers of aid. Offers have been made from countries like mine (UK), Germany, Canada, Australia, France and even South American countries who have little to give. It has all been refused.

Quote:
She said the United States had turned down no offer of assistance from overseas, but is being deliberate about how it accepts offers
http://washingtontimes.com/world/200...4525-4794r.htm

God bless the countries that are helping! THANK YOU!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #28
Executive Chef

It's all well and good to say now's not the time to point fingers. Who will tell that to the families who have lost loved ones waiting, and waiting for help.

And yes, they did know it was going to be bad. Why did they issue a mandatory evacuation? Some one dropped the ball somewhere.

I love you too, Sush.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:19 PM   #29
Master Chef

*looking into Wasabi's eyes* I love you too you Macadamia Nut!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Awwww shucks you silver tonged devil.