"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I love you too you Macadamia Nut

awwwwwwwww sush that's sooooo cute !!!!!!

Old 09-04-2005, 01:44 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
The government is doing their best to mobilize what needs to get there.

The USDA Forest Service has mobilized 6 Type I Incident Management Teams to the Gulf Coast. My district ranger left for that area 5 days ago. Type I Incident Management teams are used to mobilizing personnel, equipment, supplies, and etc. for large incidents.

Here is a blurb from the our website about what the incident management teams are doing. These teams are normally used to support large wildfires. Due to the draw down of personnel helping with Katrina our National Preparedness Level is a Level 4 with 5 being the highest.

HURRICANE KATRINA SUPPORT, Federal Emergency Management Agency. Emergency Support Function #4 is staffed at the Regional Response Coordination Centers in Atlanta, GA and Denton, TX. Six Type 1 Incident Management Teams (Custer, Quesinberry, Pincha-Tulley, Gelobter, Cable and Molumby) are assigned. Custer’s Team is managing a field hospital and refugee camp at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport in Port Allen, LA. Quesinberry’s Team is managing a mobilization center in Meridian, MS. Pincha-Tulley’s Team is managing two camps and supporting the receiving and distribution of relief supplies at Stennis Space Center in MS. Gelobter’s Team is managing a base camp at Montgomery, AL. Cable’s Team is assigned to Metairie, LA. Molumby’s Team is being assigned to San Gabriel, LA.

Two Type 2 Incident Management Teams (Lineback and Mullenix) are assigned. Lineback’s Team is providing support for the receiving and distribution of supplies and resources at a mobilization center in Camp Beauregard, Pineville, LA. Mullenix’s Team is being assigned to San Antonio, TX. A Texas State Incident Management Team is assigned at Baton Rouge, LA. A North Carolina State Incident Management Team (Hildreth) has been ordered. A Planning Team (Terry) is supporting relief efforts at the Long Term Recovery Center in Orlando, FL.

Four Logistics Management Teams have been mobilized; two to Meridian, MS, and one each to Maxwell Air Force Base, AL and Barksdale Air Force Base, LA. A Florida State All Risk Incident Management Team (Hill) has been assigned to Biloxi, MS. The Team is providing logistical support to Florida Urban Search and Rescue teams. A Florida State Incident Management Team (Jones) has established a Logistics Staging Area at Stennis Space Center in MS. The Team is helping with distribution of relief supplies throughout southern Mississippi. Two National Park Service All Risk Teams are assigned, one each in Everglades NP and Ocean Spring,

http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
The attachment says it all! Thanks Sierra!
Old 09-04-2005, 06:46 AM   #34
Executive Chef

All of this has reminded me what a really good governor we have. Jeb is quick to get everything started as soon as the storm has gotten away. He doesn't wait for the federal guys to move in. He is hands on in every step. Also he visits every county periodically. We see him even if there isn't a problem. I wish NO had been so blessed to have one like him.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #35
Executive Chef

He also has a personal ear at the White House, which can't hurt.

But I do know what you're saying; I wish we had seen more of the NO mayor and LA governor; what I did see of them was pretty incompetent, IMHO.

I remember during Hugo, the visual presence of our mayor and chief of police brought is all comfort; their leadership provided some stability to our own nightmares.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Everyone, I need to ask one more time to keep this conversation void of ALL political comments. This includes things of a positive nature. I think this thread is a great thread and very valuable, but rules are rules and we need to respect them. Please feel free to discuss this topic, but leave the government and governors and anything else political out of it. I know it is not easy as those things are completely intertwined in this subject, but please understand that will someone might think someone is doing a great job there are others who will think they are not. This is not a place for those types of discussions. We have been kind of lenient on the rules in this thread because of the sensitive nature of the topic, but please lets respect the rules so that this thread can continue and hopefully help with peoples healing process in some small way. Thank you for understanding!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Sorry, GB - delete if you want to - my bad! Sometimes the fingers do the walking before the brain does the talking!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Marm. This is a hard subject to not get polical in so a little leeway is appropriate here I think. It is not just you Marm and my comments were not directed at any one person. Just a general reminder to everyone. Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #39
Master Chef

I just read that we have taken in an estimated 223,000 people And you also have to think of how many in are in other states.
Thankfully, we're going to get some relief as far as the cost.
We were worried about having enough to keep them here as long as they need to and now we'll be getting some federal relief while they are here to help with food, water and housing. I just hope that it won't take to long for these poor souls to get back to their normal lives. I can't imagine how hard it must be to rely on strangers for something as little as underwear or shoes. They are so lost! I watch them on the news everyday and just cry with them.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #40
Master Chef

BTW, Texas girl and others, I was in no way denigrating the people of Texas -- some of the most wonderful people I've met. Just that IMO (and I have tons of military life experience) better and faster use could have been made of the troops who are within hours of the city. I was trashing the slow response of the Powers Who Be. Shoot to kill is something I've never actually heard said in a civil situation; HOWEVER, if the person facing you has a gun and S/He is going to shoot to kill, then what are ya gonna do? I sincerely wish it wouldn't come to that, and believe me, any soldiers/sailors/airmen I know certainly wouldn't. I simply believe that if our so-called leaders had responded faster, perhaps it wouldn't have come to this.

For example, has anyone ever heard of a duck? There are fleets of them for tourism use in Florida, Arkansas, and Wisconsin, and the ones even in Wisconsin could have been there by now, the ones in Arkansas and Florida within 48 hours. Whoever owns these "odd ducks", Shame On You.

I fear that our American social fabric is going to feel repurcussions on this one for many years. I'm glad I enjoyed New Orleans when I did, because I don't think it will ever be the same again. How sad, a true loss that will not be fixed any time soon.