"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I've got too many to have a real favourite - but amongst the ones I love most are

my own country - even though it's very small, by American or Canadian or Aussie standards, the different landscapes, the castles and the pretty towns and the wonderful lochs make it a joy.

Many of the Greek islands (not so keen on mainland Greece, though!)

Tuscany, particularly the area around Florence.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
What's your favorite Greek island Ishbel? I'm in love with Naxos. And have you ever been to the Meteora? It's mainland but, beautiful and the people are also friendly in the little villages around the rocks.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Kaua'i ~ hands down.

Incredible beaches, miles and miles of them with only a handful of people to be seen, killer coral reef and snorkeling at Pompeii, the Na Pali coast, Yokohama Bay and some of the most friendly, laid-back people ever to grace the earth. The fruit and vegetable stands, the abundance of fish ... it was heaven! Just writing about it makes me long to go back.

;)
Z
Old 06-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
What's your favorite Greek island Ishbel? I'm in love with Naxos. And have you ever been to the Meteora? It's mainland but, beautiful and the people are also friendly in the little villages around the rocks.
I've been to quite a few, and amongst my favourites were Crete (not the very developed part), Corfu - again not round Corfu Town, although the town itself is very picturesque, the eurotrash type discos are too much for my advanced years! Mykonos, Paxos, Lesbos, Rhodes and Cyprus (OK, I know it's not really Greece, but the Greek-cypriots think they are!). One of my most fave though is Santorini.

I've not visited much of the mainland of Greece - Corinth and the surrounding area a few times, because my matron-of-honour at my wedding was born there and Athens - and obviously the port to get to some of the smaller islands. The smog in Athens is just so bad for my asthma... and the TRAFFIC!!! I'm sure you know what I mean.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I do... and I have to admit that I very much dislike Athens... it's so dirty and loud. Though we were there for the second time a few months before the Olympics and I'd have to say things were looking much better. They redid all the train/subway stops and made nice new highways. So, traffic was much better. We didn't rent a car but, our friends who live there drove us around quite a bit.
There are a few nice areas but, give me the villages and the beaches and I'll be much happier.

Santorini is beatiful. And the smells coming from the restaurants there are to die for. We were only there for a few days and plan a trip back prbly next year. I really have to get in better shape before going there next time. There is a lot of walking in Santorini and it's all UP UP UP!

We spent a week on Crete. The name of the town we stayed in is escaping me right now.. about two hours from the main port. I loved it there. We stayed at a hotel run by the nicest Greek man. He insisted on sharing his Raki with us ever night and feeding us fresh veggies and fruit from his garden everyday. My husband speaks Greek so comunitcaton is never a problem.

We stayed away from the other popular islands... we like the back roads and the beaches and towns that the Greeks go to not the tourists. Santorini was the one exception.

I'm so ready to go back for another visit. Paul's dream is to live there for a year some time. We (the whole family) still own the house that his mom was born and raised in so we'd have a place to stay and we already have many friends in the village so... it may happen!! I'm not sure if I could do a year away from American and home but... I'd like to do six months or so. May- 0ct would be perfect.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #16
Head Chef

I've always enjoyed going to disneyland and knotts berry farm in sunny california but the most recent place i've been is montana and the mountains through wyoming were just beautiful.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
what the heck is a vacation ??
I have to agree with this one. Granted, back in Feb, I visited my folks for 4 days, but that was a major road trip, and no real "relaxing" was done.

The last time I went on a "vacation", was my last backpacking trek in New Mexico, at Philmont Scout Ranch, when I was 18, in '91. 10 days out in the Sangre de Cristos mountains in NM. IMHO, that truly is God's chosen country.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:53 AM   #18
Head Chef

Mine would have to be Honolulu, got lots of family there and there's a bunch of stuff to do!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I have to agree with this one. Granted, back in Feb, I visited my folks for 4 days, but that was a major road trip, and no real "relaxing" was done.

The last time I went on a "vacation", was my last backpacking trek in New Mexico, at Philmont Scout Ranch, when I was 18, in '91. 10 days out in the Sangre de Cristos mountains in NM. IMHO, that truly is God's chosen country.
allen, i did 2 weeks at philmont when i was 14, in '78. was one of the truly great experiences of my life. i still have my itinerary booklet and maps from the hike, buried somewhere in my junk. i can still picture the bar crazy s ranch like it was yesterday; the blacksmith/black powder shooting camp; thunderstorms in canyons; the devil's mesa; "dry" camps; m.s.a.r.; so many great memories. i can't wait till my son is old enough so we can go together.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:37 AM   #20
Cook

Vancouver rocks!