"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Where y'at New Year's Eve??

Lou and I are going to Jazz Standard in NYC for the first set of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. The set starts at 7:30 but doors are at 6. That works perfectly because the tickets include a three - course dinner and we are loathe to be eating when the band is playing. It's the kind of music you simply have to get up to dance to. We'll be headed back home by 9:15, which is perfect too. Little worse than trying to get around the city close to midnight. We could be in the hot tub by 9:45 with any luck, and toasting the new year privately.

I have no idea what my kids are up to....I hope they have company at the house, rather than driving around.

What about you??

Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Head Chef

We are going to watch the Bengals trounce the Steelers and then we'll have to watch the Jets game to see if they lose (if they do, the Bengals get into the playoffs!). Other than that, we'll stay home and have snacks and drinks by the fire. I hope I can keep my eyes open til midnight!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
We really don't have plans other than watching the Bears schmear the Packers (sorry MJ). In fact, I have invited MJ to my house for his viewing pleasure as we are not that far from eachother - I promised to make good food, too. My teen daughter has metioned a "small party" but I have to think of a reason that won't work. I am hoping it will be a quiet night with a toast at midnight, if I make it.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Master Chef

We're staying home, too. The last couple years we've found it's nicer to go out to eat another night and keep New Year's Eve casual--order pizza early and then have snacks throughout the night. I, too, will be pleased if I can actually stay awake 'till midnight!

Bucky, the invite stands if you want to come drop something off my roof at 12!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Cook

We'll do one of our nice comfort food dinners and a fancy dessert. We'll watch a DVD from the library and have cup of eggnog with dark rum as we try to stay awake until midnight.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

We are going to our friends house. They are a very fun couple who love good drink and good food so we will be doing both They have a son a little older than our daughter and they get along great so that should be fun for the kids. We are going to spend the night too so we don't have to worry about staying sober to drive or worry about anyone else on the road.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
Senior Cook

We are going out to dinner at a restaurant that does california/mediterranean food. Their speciality is dessert, there are always 10-12 items on the dessert menu that change daily.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
at home enjoying the peace and quiet (I hope).

the last place I lived was on the 12`th floor, and every year there was always some group of idiots that thought it was clever to launch fireworks towards the tower block. we had the penthouse, so what didn`t go off directly outside our window fell and went off on our roof :(

there`s a lot to be said for living at Ground level :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Football football football
beer beer beer
champagne champagne champagne

We usually don't eat dinner on NY Eve and I let Mr HB choose the appetizers. (he has to feel in charge one night a year ) So we'll probably have pigs in blankets, sweet & sour meatballs, crab dip and chili covered with cream cheese/sour cream topped with shredded cheddar then heated in the over....served with scoops. No crudite on his snack table.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Tomorrow AM DW and I fly out to Hartford to spend the weekend with my folks.