"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #41
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Food Network was once my favorite network, but not anymore. What started out as a channel to learn and get new ideas, has turned into a circus of competition shows and gimmicky "chefs".
Amen.

Though I have to admit that my one guilty pleasure on FN is watching "Chopped."

And for those who think it's "mean" to express what one likes/dislikes, well... if we the viewers don't speak up, then we deserve to be bombarded with bad programming.

Personally, I'll take Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Lidia Bastianich, Hubert Keller, or even Christopher Kimball and his "test kitchen" any day of the week over Guy Fieri or the Neelys. I'd love to see those shows on the Food Network.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Amen.

And for those who think it's "mean" to express what one likes/dislikes, well... if we the viewers don't speak up, then we deserve to be bombarded with bad programming.

Personally, I'll take Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Lidia Bastianich, Hubert Keller, or even Christopher Kimball and his "test kitchen" any day of the week over Guy Fieri or the Neelys. I'd love to see those shows on the Food Network.
I, too, think the food network has become a side show. I usually go to the pages and see if there is something I'd like to prepare rather than watch the cut ups.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #43
Cook

what's funny though is the Cooking channel, which is run by foodnetwork, is actually pretty good. They have shows that actually have culinary worth, instead of Challenge, and Next Foodnetwork Star. Though from what I've heard, Foodnetwork's biggest goal is to get more of their target demographic which is men from the ages of 21-40. God knows why they are trying to change the entire network to suit one demographic.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Amen.

By being mean I feel those who just talk about what a woman wears, top to low, skirts to tight, or how that person speaks, or who they have on their shows like sons,daughters, grand kids, there is no need to critisize for these types or things. The recipes are to long, to much talking about nothing not teaching us something, you feel there is to much kissy kissy stuff, ok pounce on that. But to pick at a person just to demean them is not necessary it's "mean" think we are bigger than that look over at the person you love who does the cooking at your home would you want them talked about like that????Bet not. So think before you speak, give people the benefit of the doubt.
kades
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

exactly

Quote:
Amen.

Precisely. I really do like that guy Chuck from "Chuck's day Off" from Canada. He's a rock-star in the kitchen in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontg34 View Post
what's funny though is the Cooking channel, which is run by foodnetwork, is actually pretty good. They have shows that actually have culinary worth, instead of Challenge, and Next Foodnetwork Star. Though from what I've heard, Foodnetwork's biggest goal is to get more of their target demographic which is men from the ages of 21-40. God knows why they are trying to change the entire network to suit one demographic.
That's how any TV channel that grows gets. There was a time when MTV played music. And ESPN had sports instead of a bunch of people sitting around a table playing poker. It seems they all branch off to include a channel that still plays original content.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontg34 View Post
...Though from what I've heard, Foodnetwork's biggest goal is to get more of their target demographic which is men from the ages of 21-40. God knows why they are trying to change the entire network to suit one demographic.
It's the demographic that spends the most money.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem
I like everybody mentioned so far! The only one that bugs me is the show Bitchin Kitchen. The show has way too many sexual inuendo's to be family freindly for young kids. I also find it unappetizing.

Racheal Ray needs to take some time off. I used to enjoy her more but they crammed her down our throat with too many shows.

I watch Cooking channel more than Food Network now. I really like Luke's Vietnam,Chucks Day off and Rodger mookings show. There are some others too.
I like Extra Virgin show alot too.
Luke Nguyens Vietnam. He's Australian and I love all his series. I hope to be visiting his restaurant, The Red Lantern, this year.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's the demographic that spends the most money.

that reminds me of when mtv first broadcast. it was initially intended for 10 to 15 year old girls, sort of a televised "tiger beat", but they found out that their biggest viewing audience was 18 to 25 year old males.

i wonder who the food "network" (it's only a cable channel) thinks is watching all of that fluff.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i wonder who the food "network" (it's only a cable channel) thinks is watching all of that fluff.
Assuming they have people tracking these things, they are probably happy to have their channel being talked about, even negatively. I don't recognize half the names I'm seeing here, which shows I hardly watch it at all anymore. About the only shows I will stop and watch is the BBQ competitions. I find those entertaining. Not the Pitmasters, I find those arrogant and offensive as far as the judges are concerned, including that one Warren Sapp was a judge on, but the shows that feature a few key competitors in a fair-like atmosphere.

Tags
chef