"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
By being mean I feel those who just talk about what a woman wears, top to low, skirts to tight, or how that person speaks, or who they have on their shows like sons,daughters, grand kids, there is no need to critisize for these types or things. The recipes are to long, to much talking about nothing not teaching us something, you feel there is to much kissy kissy stuff, ok pounce on that. But to pick at a person just to demean them is not necessary it's "mean" think we are bigger than that look over at the person you love who does the cooking at your home would you want them talked about like that????Bet not. So think before you speak, give people the benefit of the doubt.
kades
I agree!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
top too low, skirts too tight
Is that possible?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I found it amusing when Giadda reprimanded a contestant she was judging on a show for dressing too "provocatively".
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that reminds me of when mtv first broadcast. it was initially intended for 10 to 15 year old girls, sort of a televised "tiger beat", but they found out that their biggest viewing audience was 18 to 25 year old males.

i wonder who the food "network" (it's only a cable channel) thinks is watching all of that fluff.
I'd bet they know quite well who's watching.

In my opinion, FTV initially had an audience of foodies. Then they changed programming to draw non-foodies - a much bigger group of people.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
By being mean I feel those who just talk about what a woman wears, top to low, skirts to tight, or how that person speaks, or who they have on their shows like sons,daughters, grand kids, there is no need to critisize for these types or things. The recipes are to long, to much talking about nothing not teaching us something, you feel there is to much kissy kissy stuff, ok pounce on that. But to pick at a person just to demean them is not necessary it's "mean" think we are bigger than that look over at the person you love who does the cooking at your home would you want them talked about like that????Bet not. So think before you speak, give people the benefit of the doubt.
kades
Kades, much of the time I agree with you, but I think you are way off base here. You seem to be giving me a list of reasons it is OK to dislike a show, and another list of reasons it is not. These people are entertainers, and as such I expect be entertained. I don't watch Giada as I think she shows too much skin for a cooking show. The Neely husband comes across to me as the biggest bumbling black guy since George Jefferson, and the women are always standing by to bail him out. Emeril has three jokes, Bam, where I get my meat it don't come seasoned, and I don't like one sided tasting food. I've heard them all. Time to move on. Paula's sons contribute nothing to the show. The bitchin kitchen I watched a couple of minutes, not for me. The list goes on. Recipes to long, too much kissy kissy, too much talking about nothing, not teaching, all are valid reasons to not like the shows, but they are your reasons. I really don't expect much education from any of them. Most of the time, I just don't like the personalities or format.

The person in my kitchen cooking with me has nothing to do with the celebrity shows. I would defend them if necessary, but then they are not being paraded in front of millions of people.

Guess I am just a big ol' meanie.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #56
Senior Cook

I dislike Anne Burrell's (sp?) show. The way she talks really annoys me. That's not to say I haven't learned from her though. Not a fan of Giada's shows either because of reasons already stated above. But what's worse than those shows are all the filler shows with the competitions. I would watch Anne Burrell and Giada over those any day. I will admit that I LOVE Iron Chef though :)
Old 08-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #57
Master Chef

I can't stand Malissa D' Arabian, her voice drives me nuts!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle
I dislike Anne Burrell's (sp?) show. The way she talks really annoys me. That's not to say I haven't learned from her though. Not a fan of Giada's shows either because of reasons already stated above. But what's worse than those shows are all the filler shows with the competitions. I would watch Anne Burrell and Giada over those any day. I will admit that I LOVE Iron Chef though :)
Ann grunts and squeals way too much, but her techniques are spot-on. Have also learned from Giada, granddaughter of Dino. I, too, love Iron Chef! I fell in love with the original, subtitled version and have been hooked ever since.

Melissa beat out some other decent contestants for the Next Food Network Star, DH has never forgiven her for that. She really annoys him.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #59
Senior Cook

I think the problem with TFN is that it's "food theater," but not about anything or anyone actually going through an entire dish prep because of time constraints. Everything is always laid out, mixed in a millisecond, and cooked "through the magic of television." And it is ALWAYS perfect. That is why Julia was wonderful, and most of this is drek.

Julia made mistakes on air, but let the rest of us know that it was OK to screw up.

Most of the TV chef's at least on TFN are more like pop stars who cook; looks, personality and limited talent. What get me as much as their inability to cook, is there GAWDAWFUL manners. The next time Paula Deen sticks her over-diamond finger in her mouth to lick it, I will ralph. Ughghg. And this is a southern lady? Not.

I quit watching TFN a long time ago.....
Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #60
Senior Cook

I really don't like Gordon Ramsay - his language for one, I didn't used to like Rachel Ray-but she's not as chatty as she used to be and I can actually watch a whole program. Don't care for Sandra Lee, the Neely's and Paula gets on my nerves after a while. Really do like Ina Garten, Guy Fieri and Giada. Anne Burell I can take or leave.

Tags
chef