Which celebrity chef do you dislike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And, what is the significance of these "contest" shows, Chopped, Iron Chef, Cupcake Wars, etc. Am I missing something - where are the educational properties???

Who promised you that the shows on Food TV would be educational? That's what PBS is for, and no one on PBS will give you their complete recipe, with measurements, unless you pay for it, either by subscribing to their web site (Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen), or by buying their show related cookbooks (Ming Tsai, Jacque Pepin, Martin Yan, John Besh, et al), or you can't make their recipes unless you buy their seasonings and sauces (particularly Paul Prudhomme).

I can't believe so many dislike Paula. What's she done to y'all??!
She's even given you new and creative ways to use buh'ta'...lol.

Y'all know y'all wrong...

I've always liked Paula, even after she dumped half a can of beer down the sink instead of drinking it when making Beer Butt chicken. What I didn't like was that damn ooey gooey butter cake recipe of hers, and all the variations of it. When she came out with that recipe, people on other cooking message boards were treating her like she just topped Marie Curie and deserved the No Belly Pizza Prize for baking with a cake mix.

Last edited:
I know what I wrote about my feelings of Mr. Bobby Flay, but in reading earlier discussions I really have to agree with CharlieD my final decision on the vote would be...drum roll please... Ms. Ina Garten ... yikes

I've always liked Paula, even after she dumped half a can of beer down the sink instead of drinking it when making Beer Butt chicken. What I didn't like was that damn ooey gooey butter cake recipe of hers, and all the variations of it. When she came out with that recipe, people on other cooking message boards were treating her like she just topped Marie Curie's discovery of radium.

LOL @ pouring out the beer...

Now, about that gooey buhta cake...i don't know how the restuarant version is but I brought the store version of her cake....and let's just say
I won't hold it against her....lol.

I like her cause she seems so down to earth and you never know what she'll do or say.....

How can I say this without getting booed off DC. Well here it goes... The Chef that I like the least on television would have to be Mr. Bobby Flay...Before I get slammed, this is how I see it. First I want to say he is a Chef by all rights and his shows are for entertainment purposes...I get that.

How he became an Iron Chef is beyond me. He basically takes his tex-mex blends of chilies, avocados and limes and tries to blend it into any Mystery Box/Suprise ingredient they are given. His cooking really of Mexican or Central American dishes are way off from actual recipes. Rick Bayless does authentic Mexican/Central American Cuisine.

On his cooking show "Throw Down" he selects someone who is basically known for one dish and does that dish very well. Probably a recipe that has been passed down through their family for generations.

Bobby decides he is going up against them in a throw down and then has his research and development Chefs work on a dish. Where the competitor creates his or her dish from what ever they get from the local vendor or grocery store and Bobby has his team scour the markets near and far. Once they have worked on it for a while he shows up with tested recipes that have been worked on by several Chefs using the finest equipment. I guess what I am saying Bobby has his crowd and is entertaining, but as Chef its hard to take what he does seriously. I don't want to take away the fact that he has supertsar status, owns several restaurants, has written several books and hosts or makes guests appearances on all types of shows. Thats what a great PR Firm can do for you... stepping off my soapbox for now. Thank you very much for your time.

Boooooo, booooooooooo.........just kidding:LOL:.

I'm sure bobby means well.... I mean it's not like he's actually saying, "Anything you can do I can do better"...... He's never "said" that...at least I haven't "heard" him say it......:angel::LOL:

LOL @ pouring out the beer...

What made it worse, if it could be made worse, as part of the show's theme she was dressed as a biker! Can you imagine a biker pouring beer into anything other than him- or herself?

Oh, BTW, Bobby Flay's cooking style is NOT Mexican, it's Southwest, and he does an excellent job of it, especially for a classically trained chef.

Last edited:
How can I say this without getting booed off DC. Well here it goes... The Chef that I like the least on television would have to be Mr. Bobby Flay...Before I get slammed, this is how I see it. First I want to say he is a Chef by all rights and his shows are for entertainment purposes...I get that.

ummmmmmm I call him Booby Flea. :wacko:

The problem I have is when watching " The Next Food Network Star", here are these judges telling the contestants to be themselves, give personal stories and backgrounds, and take risks. But then when the contestants do this, they get reprimanded and penalized for doing so. What we end up with, is a channel of "Foodie Clones" all acting the same way, saying the same things, giving the same stories..... Sure there are a few that stand out, and have a unique personality of their own. But, I wish they would concentrate more on cooking and technique rather than trying to "celebritize" ( if such a word exists) and 'Brand' everyone and every show just so they can sell a bunch of crap. Obviously from a promotion point of view, they seem to know what they are doing, given the popularity of the shows, channel and merchandise. But what I really miss is the good old days when Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, Jeff Smith, Justin Wilson ( to name a few) just came on for 1/2 hour to cook and teach.

Larry

Awww now you have my heart, you said Justin Wilson, I LOVED him and his show, he was great and I learned alot from him as well as Julia. They are icons.

I know what I wrote about my feelings of Mr. Bobby Flay, but in reading earlier discussions I really have to agree with CharlieD my final decision on the vote would be...drum roll please... Ms. Ina Garten ... yikes
Once, a long time ago, I had Food TV on and it was Ina Garten's turn. My son came walking through the living room, watched her show for about 30 seconds, and announced "That woman ain't fat, she's just full of herself!"

Jusnikki,
Once you meet him you might change your opinion of him. It's a little different working an event with him.

Back
Top Bottom