Which type of cook are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
1. U choose a recipe. U then go out and buy whatever u do not have, for the dish.

2. U improvise and adjust and make up your own recipes. U base what u cook, on what is readily available and what is in season.

I am 2.

I guess I am a mixture of both. I plan our meals about ten days in advance, and make sure I have everything I need for them in the shop, but I plan meals that are seasonal, so I kind of expect things to be in the shop. That way is a cheaper way to eat I find. If I have forgotton something I need then I trnd to improvise, although I will stock up on fresh vegetables/milk through the week, I know what I am buying later in the week. I take my list with me. Because I market shop sometimes I occasionally find a gem that I did not expect too, or there is a special offer on something, or, now because I am finding ingrediants that are new to me, I will cross out a meal on my list and then replace on the hoof...I tend to be pretty organised now about buying food.planning meals - my budget demands it!

I follow a recipe the first time I make something, and then I know what I want to change next time, I am a bit of an adder, ie I add a bit of whatever is to hand that I think will work. My favourite recipes are the ones that are my own, but they're success depends on me having followed a recipe before.

I think I am a mixture of your two types of cook.

I keep a well stocked pantry and freezer so usually whatever I want to make - the ingredients are on hand - unless it is something unusual for me. If I see a new recipe I want to try, I keep it handy and if I don't have the ingredients, I get them on the next shopping trip. I don't run to the store. I suppose that is a habit I formed when we were surrounded by country instead of having so many people move out and stores popping up everywhere.

both as the need arises. Certainly for many recipes, it is "get what is needed" because it will work better that way. However, there are plenty of general method recipes that work equally well with pork or chicken, corn or beans or both, etc.

I usually have most of the ingredients that a new recipe calls for. I tend to stay away from recipes that call for an ingredient that I'll only use in that particular dish......that is for an item that doesn't have a long shelf/storage life.

What I usually do is follow the recipe as instructed but there are those that I will switch around before hand.....say it calls for peas I'll change that for a different veggie.

But on most all recipes I follow the instructions and in the end I'll taste it and I then adjust it to my families taste. And usualy on the second attempt.....I make it the way I want to.... to suite myself and my family.

There is the exception..........I do follow the baking recipes as instructed and almost never have to change anything.

I'm about 95% number 1, but would like to learn how to be more like number 2.

It maybe sort of unbelievable, seeing how full our freezer and fridge are all the time, when I think of making something particular, more often than not I find one thing or another lacking from my inventory.
Then, depending on the recipe, weather, or my mood/motivation/determination, I would go either way.
I do enjoy modifying and inventing a recipe in my own way to my fancy when it is possible, but there are certain thing which CANNOT be left out, for example extra fresh eggs for spaghetti carbonara or tiramisu, or fresh coriander leaves for guacamole etc. etc. Then I need to go out to shop for these must have ingredients. Or I may opt for something totally different and save the recipe for some other day, if I just don't feel like going out at that moment.

My fridge, freezer and pantry are well stocked most of the time so I have no problem using available ingredients. However, if I have to prepare a specified dish or trying out a new recipe, I will then go out and buy whatever ingredients are needed for it. So in essence I am very much 1 & 2.

I usually end up going to the grocery store and seeing what looks fresh and on sale. Once I get a good idea of what I have to work with, I will then come up with something and purchase accordingly. Usually this involves going back once as I almost always say, "Darn, I needed that too...". :LOL:

I tend to go grocery shopping 3 or 4 times a week as I don't keep a well-stocked freezer (never have). There are basics I keep around but I really don't plan my meals more than one day in advance unless I am expecting company or I know we will all be home and we have all decided on what to have. I'm a "figure it out at the last minute and fly to the grocery store" kinda cook.

I will follow a recipe if I've never made it before - if there is something I know I will not like or I want to change it, I will. There is nothing wrong with following a recipe that turns out great over and over.

So, technically I'm #1 - I will hunt another recipe using a left-over ingredient I have from that recipe if need be.

THEN - a smaller percentage of the time I just go with #2. As long as I write it down we can have it again! I hate when I don't write down a "winner".

I used to be strictly #2. Now I'm a combination of both. Interesting thing is that now I find myself cruising the produce section and planning the meal from there rather than the meat counter. I'm playing in my mind - and then by the time we're home I've got one or two riffs going on.

We're going to have to eat down the freezer and because of the situation on the boat we'll have to shop more frequently. :huh:

I'm a bit of both. I have an idea of what I want to make and usually have to shop for a few of the ingredients. I always have to shop for the protein because I don't store anything in the freezer.

I am about 99.9% a number 2. I have the ingredients on hand and base the meal on what is in stock. Then I have an idea of the technique I want to use, or a particular blend of ingredients. Then I look for the recipe to fit my ingredients and technique desired. I rarely go out to purchase an ingredient. The only time in the past few years I have gone to the grocery specially to purchase an ingredient, was recently with the lemon semolina pudding cake recipe. I do not keep fresh citrus in stock and I made a special trip to buy fresh lemons.
I wouldn't say I make up my own recipes. Sometimes I look at several recipes at once and blend the recipes to my tastes.

I think I am more of a 2, I don't live close to any major supermarkets. So, I have improvised alot based on what is on hand and what is in season. If I am making something that requires something out of the ordinary, I have to plan for it.

Definitely a 2. I keep a very full pantry, and what I cook is based on what I have ... most of the time. Hubby and I do on occaision choose a recipe and go out and buy the food for it. But I cook at least a half dozen meals a week (we're retired) and can fix a Chinese stir fry, a Thai soup, a snitzel mit kraut, etc, just from my pantry.

I do both. Since we have retired, I don't plan very far ahead. For instance, I don't have a clue about what tonight's dinner will be. Better work on that.

a little of Both, but mainly #2.
#1 kicks in if I REALLY fancy something in particular and don`t have all I need (or I forget to take it out the freezer).

Back
Top Bottom