"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Executive Chef

At 15, I got a job at the Washingtonian Restaurant in Rockville, Maryland. Started in the kitchen washing dishes. Then went to busboy, waiter, and lastly, prep cook for one of the chefs. The place had 13 rooms and seated 2,000 people. The kitchen was about half the size of a football field. It was a little insane in the kitchen during rush hour, but I worked there until I joined the Army at 18.

I've always loved cooking. Henri', the chef I prepped for, taught me hundreds of things about cooking. Since then, it's always been my hobby. I love making wonderful looking and tasting dishes. It's fun to watch someone really enjoy eating something I've made.

My last job was as a Database Admin at an aircraft manufacturing facility where I retired from after 25 years there.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I began eating at a very young age, which in turn led to cooking!
^^This right here^^

I'm not even close to be a pro in the kitchen. But good at what I do cook at home .

Old 12-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm nobody in the culinary world. Just an enthusiastic home cook.
Same here. Despite my experience, I am basically a glorified burger flipper who loves to cook at home. My true passion is home cooking and adhering to original classic recipes. Especially, when learning and cooking other regions' cuisine.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I began eating at a very young age, which in turn led to cooking!
Exactly. Learning to cook was a survival tactic at first.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

I just know basic bbq. I know jack in the ktichen. I have lots of decent kitchen equipment but that's about all.....I love gadgets. I built a nice brick pizza oven from scratch and I can built a nice strong fire. I'm still learning how to do decent pizza. I come here to this site to learn. One day, I will be good.

I should know more. My parents owned and operated a teppan steakhouse way before Benihana's became popular.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i love to cook, just good old homemade. once in a while, i like to do a new dish. also like to bake, a lot!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I grew up in a deli family business and still help out often. Professionally I am a somewhat recently out of school extremely underemployed tax attorney which leaves me a lot of time to cook. If I could go back I would never have taken on all those student loans and would have went to culinary school or became a school teacher.
Is there any reason you cannot become a school teacher now? Since you already have your degree, it should be a matter of choosing a subject and doing the course work to become certified, not like you have to start from scratch. Some private schools don't even require that much. Heaven knows, we could all use more and better teachers!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I'm a retired engineer. I used to watch my mother cook when I was a child, and started cooking myself at about 15 years old. My interest has continue to build and has been my favorite hobby for dozens of years. I like that cooking occupies my hands instead of making me think a lot like I had to in my career. Perhaps it's a left brain vs. right brain thing, intuitive vs. logical that I like about cooking. I really like cooking when I take off on an intuitive whim rather than having any concrete reason for doing something. I like that cooking is an art, and I like that cooking has endless variety and limitless areas to explore.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm with Aunt Bea. I too started eating at a young age and stuck with it, which in turn lead to me cooking.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
Half Baked

Foodie here!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote