"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm a self taught cook. I love coming here to DC, because every once in awhile someone will mention an ingredient that just makes something I already make, that makes the dish over the top.

Lots of inspiration here.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I always helped mom in the kitchen, I had a little stool, so that I could see over the counter. The first thing that I "cooked" on my own was boiled hotdogs, LOL. I progressed from there.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Basic home cook here. Pretty much self-taught, but I learned a lot from my grandma and my great aunt.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I help out Guys do they can help themselves

[QUOTE=Nall;1085714]I was curious about how each brilliant member of this forums uses the beautiful world of culinary arts, for example, are you a professional chef or just use cooking as a hobby? Do you work at a restaurant or something similar?

Hi, I'm a celebrity chef. I actually create really fun recipes for men who can't cook. I use power tools to make my point. Basically I teach guys to cook for their girlfriends and wives. My goal in life is to see relationships strengthened through the art of cooking and eating together. When a man makes the effort to create a meal for his loved one, he brings their relationship closer. Men like to have fun and usually like to make an excuse as to why they cannot cook, so I draw them in with my zany style of power tool cooking.

Bon appetit
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I am older than 'dirt' itself. When dirt came upon the scene, I tried it and immediately spit it out. Didn't have to use table manners then. Decided right then and there, learn to cook or starve to death. Second choice didn't appeal to me. So I stood at my mother's side while growing up in an Italian neighborhood. When all those Italian grandmothers learned that I was not Italian, they took me under their wing also. Had some great teachers.

Got married at an early age to a professional chef. His specialty was cooking for events. Three hundred or more people. His dowry for our marriage was the original "Joy of Cooking". It was my Bible for the first few years. Then the babies came along and wanted to make my own baby food before it was fashionable to do so. As the kids grew older, their father would take them to work on Saturdays and put them to washing the dishes and scrubbing pots. He started their interest in preparation by letting them tear the lettuce. They in turn did so well, they graduated to a small knife cutting the celery and other raw veggies into bite size. They kept improving over the years, but were never able to surpass Mother. They still call me for advice from the kitchen. Only one has made it into a professional kitchen. But decided he would rather cook for fun then a living. But he is no slacker with cooking when he wants to impress a young lady. All my children can cook circles around their friends.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Addie, I must have come on the scene about the same time as you did, except that I remember when dirt was in style! Only later did we learn that dirt could be considered a seasoning, especially that salty stuff scraped off after the oceans receded...

I'm an "event chef" too. I always cook in the event that dinner might happen..

Funny, in an unrelated topic I too just recommended Joy of Cooking, which was my cooking Bible long before there was any Internet. I'll also recommend padding out any library with a few Julia Child cookbooks. (Get any of them.)

I'm smart enough to know that I'd eventually stick a knife in somebody if I worked in a professional kitchen! All those sharp knives and so many people working under a deadline!

No reason to spoil a good hobby...
Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Nobody.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Nobody.
Aw c'mon...you are the "Big Chicken!" You do great cooking!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Aw c'mon...you are the "Big Chicken!" You do great cooking!
Thanks, PF. The girls are not liking the freezing rain. I've resisted bringing them in the house in dog crates...poor babies!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Thanks, PF. The girls are not liking the freezing rain. I've resisted bringing them in the house in dog crates...poor babies!
You're a great cook! How did the chicken panties work out? Or did DH put the kibosh on them?