"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Talking Who are you in the Culinary World?

I was curious about how each brilliant member of this forums uses the beautiful world of culinary arts, for example, are you a professional chef or just use cooking as a hobby? Do you work at a restaurant or something similar?

I'd love to learn about your place in the culinary world :)

Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am a Registered Nurse, taking care of our beloved Elderly, Rehab and End-of-Life. I have worked in many food establishments and had my own catering company at one point, many years ago. I've worked fast food to scratch bakeries to a cafeteria for a University. I love food and I love playing with it.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Master Chef

Just a family/friends cook. Like to experiment a little. Host more often than am a guest. Traveled a lot in my young days, and developed a taste for "exotic" food. Since I chose a small Midwestern town to settle, I have my moments when I think I must be insane. But I have great cooks as friends and we have a good time experimenting.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Master Chef

I began eating at a very young age, which in turn led to cooking!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Up until quiet recently we only had potatoes and Guinness in Ireland. Then I invented other types of food and now am generally considered a national hero of saint status!

Ha HA no I do my best and cook because I enjoy it, but time constraints and being a little bit lazy mean I normally cook the same things for long periods before I try to mix it up!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Certified cook. Cooked as a job for over 25 years so far. Had my own place twice. Started cooking in Italy when I moved there with my first wife. Her parents owned a hotel with a restaurant and I couldn't speak Italian so I got thrown in the kitchen. . About 6 months later, we took the restaurant and bar over for a couple of years before I moved back to Canada. Tried a few jobs, some cooking, some not, then decided to get my own place going again in 94. Bought a small 30 seat family diner in a village of 300. Ran it for 13 years. Got my certification papers during this time. Finally got tired of all of the hours so i quit and went straight into kitchen management a day later. Three restaurants later, I am now back to carpentry with an old friend of mine. It is only temporary. I am eyeing another restaurant and hope to be cooking again in the next year or so.

So, cooking has been a way for me to support myself and my family for many years. I recommend any young person to take a job in a restaurant as a teenager because you can carry these skills with you and if you ever need an income you can always get a job cooking. It worked for my son as he worked his way through college and set himself up in two different cities.

I also play music on weekends to suppliment my income and get my ya ya' out.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Wine Guy

I'm nobody in the culinary world. Just an enthusiastic home cook.

I worked and lived out of a suitcase for almost 20 years and grew very tired of eating in restaurants. About 15 years ago I decided to settle down in one spot, got remarried, and proceeded to go nuts in the kitchen - because I hadn't been able to do so for such a long time. Cooking is something I really enjoy quite a bit.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm a retired corporate accountant. I enjoy cooking as a foodie.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would love to open a bakery or even just work in a good one. I work in a grocery store deli/bakery mainly because they pay health benefits, retirement and such. I actually like my job but there is really no room for creativity there, so I get creative at home.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I grew up in a deli family business and still help out often. Professionally I am a somewhat recently out of school extremely underemployed tax attorney which leaves me a lot of time to cook. If I could go back I would never have taken on all those student loans and would have went to culinary school or became a school teacher.