"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Executive Chef

A point I think that has been missed; Most people walk into their kitchen with the same shoes on that they have walked around in town wearing.

Not to gross out anyone, but that spot near the little tavern downtown that 45 drunks have vomited on and 50 others have urinated on...A spec of that gagness might have clung to your shoes and scrapped off onto your kitchen floor. Ever wonder what it is that dogs find so fasinating about sniffing your shoes? They can smell the crap you've walked in throughout your day!

I don't care how slim the chance, I'm not eating some drunks vomit or pee. People spit on the sidewalk all the time. Yucko! No piece of food is worth the amount of problems eating something really bad can do to you.

Sorry, if something falls onto my floor, it gets thrown into the trash bin.

I don't care what it is or how long it contacted the floor.

<Gag> <Retch>

Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Everymom

People wear their shoes in their HOUSE????? You're just messing with me aren't you Timothy?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
People wear their shoes in their HOUSE????? You're just messing with me aren't you Timothy?
Me, too, Alix. See my post re: shoes inside. Just funnin'. But, we rarely wear shoes inside, but to each his own.

Although, we live waaaaaay out in the country/county and, thankfully foodwise, the nearest watering hole (bar) is nearly 50 miles away. We live in a dry county in the Bible Belt, so "spirits" are frowned upon in our neck of the woods.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I don't know how you do it, but when I"m carrying in 14 bags of groceries, I don't stop, take off my shoes at the door and then go into the kitchen to set down the bags on each of 5 trips. I have my outside shoes on the entire time.

Do you really take off your shoes every time you enter your home? Everyone who enters your home removes their shoes first? How cool is that? Do you keep slippers near the front door like in Japan? I've always thought of doing that, but have never implemented it yet.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
...Do you really take off your shoes every time you enter your home? Everyone who enters your home removes their shoes first? How cool is that? Do you keep slippers near the front door like in Japan? I've always thought of doing that, but have never implemented it yet.

We do. It's so much more comfortable!

We do not require our guest to do so. It's not an issue of protecting our floors so much as a matter of comfort. Of course, if guests want to take off their shoes, it OK with us. Our grandson now takes his shoes off automatically when he's here.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We do. It's so much more comfortable!

We do not require our guest to do so. It's not an issue of protecting our floors so much as a matter of comfort. Of course, if guests want to take off their shoes, it OK with us. Our grandson now takes his shoes off automatically when he's here.
So, as in my example, you remove your shoes each trip in the house when you're carrying in supplies from the car? Then put them back on to go out for the next trip? I've never seen anyone do that.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
So, as in my example, you remove your shoes each trip in the house when you're carrying in supplies from the car? Then put them back on to go out for the next trip? I've never seen anyone do that.

Neither have I. Let's not get absurd about this. Your point about tracking in nasties on your shoes is valid. My point about not wearing shoes in the house is as well. I didn't present my post as a rebuttal to yours. I was responding to Alix's and Katie's posts.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

If I have guests around the 5 second rule applies. Otherwise, I go commando....no time limit.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

As far as wearing shoes in the house we take ours off and walk around in slippers like they do in Japan. Guests and other family members who visit us, however, have the option of doing so if they desire.
If we did not have carpeting we wouldn't mind the shoes. The other factor is comfort. I don't like lounging around with shoes on.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Neither have I. Let's not get absurd about this. Your point about tracking in nasties on your shoes is valid. My point about not wearing shoes in the house is as well. I didn't present my post as a rebuttal to yours. I was responding to Alix's and Katie's posts.
Thanks for clarifying, Andy. I really did wonder if anyone DID remove their shoes every single time they entered their home.

After I've removed the rest of the carpet from my home and installed the ceramic tiles throughout the house, I will also implement the "No shoes" habit. It's one of the most attractive parts of Japanese culture that I admire.

I wasn't intending to sound argumentative in my post. As an old retired Database guy, I'm a stickler for details. If I sense that a "field" has been left empty, I ask for the data to fill it until all information has been supplied. A habit that many find irritating, but developed over many decades of information gathering.

I apologize if I irritated you needlessly.