"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
from now on, andy, we will irritate you only when it is absolutely necessary....:):)
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
If I have guests around the 5 second rule applies. Otherwise, I go commando....no time limit.
Let's not go there, Roadie...

__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
from now on, andy, we will irritate you only when it is absolutely necessary....:):)
You never miss a chance, do you? :):)
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Yes, I take off my shoes every time I enter the house. So does every other member of my family and every other person I know. No one wears their shoes in their house around here. That would be considered very rude. There have been rare occasions when my DH would forget something and run in and out with his shoes on, but he gets the gears when he does. I have shoe racks at each door, a deacon's bench to sit on to take off or put on your shoes and big doormats. I've recently had a LOT of workmen (furnace) through my house and they brought special booties to slip on over their workboots so they wouldn't have to take them off and put them on again every time they needed to go in and out. However, they were meticulous about booties on inside and off before they went out. Shoes in the house is a BIG faux pas around here.

Hope I haven't offended you folks who wear your shoes indoors, but that has never been part of my experience. I suspect it has something to do with the climates we live in. I'm certainly not going to traipse through my kitchen or any part of my house wearing my Sorels. Nope.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Yes, I take off my shoes every time I enter the house. So does every other member of my family and every other person I know. No one wears their shoes in their house around here. That would be considered very rude. There have been rare occasions when my DH would forget something and run in and out with his shoes on, but he gets the gears when he does. I have shoe racks at each door, a deacon's bench to sit on to take off or put on your shoes and big doormats. I've recently had a LOT of workmen (furnace) through my house and they brought special booties to slip on over their workboots so they wouldn't have to take them off and put them on again every time they needed to go in and out. However, they were meticulous about booties on inside and off before they went out. Shoes in the house is a BIG faux pas around here.

Hope I haven't offended you folks who wear your shoes indoors, but that has never been part of my experience. I suspect it has something to do with the climates we live in. I'm certainly not going to traipse through my kitchen or any part of my house wearing my Sorels. Nope.
Just curious, Alix, if you had to make 5 trips to carry in supplies from the car, you would remove your shoes each time you re-entered the house and put your slippers on? Most people I know would just get the job done and then do a light mopping of the tracked area.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
In school, every time we had an assembly or pep rally in the gymnasium we all had to remove our shoes so as not to mar the gym floor with our soles. With 300 hundred students with their shoes removed confined in the small gymnasium the place used to stink like crazy.
I hated that. But I had a friend who loved smelly feet. Kinky.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #27
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Just curious, Alix, if you had to make 5 trips to carry in supplies from the car, you would remove your shoes each time you re-entered the house and put your slippers on? Most people I know would just get the job done and then do a light mopping of the tracked area.
Why would I need to make 5 trips INTO the house? I have a large mat at each door. I bring all the groceries into the house and set them on the floor, making as many trips as needed, then I remove my shoes (I don't wear slippers, socks or bare feet are sufficient) and put things away. Why would I needlessly track dirt or snow into my house? Living in Florida perhaps it would be different, but here, if I walked through my house 5 times to put things away that would not be a SMALL mess. As I said Timothy, walking through someone's house with your shoes on is a major faux pas here. Clearly your culture is different.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
As far as making multiple trips into the house after shopping at Costco, I usually unload everything in the attached garage first, then make multiple runs from the garage to the kitchen with no shoes, just indoor slippers. But I know how inconvenient that can be, having to remove and put on shoes while making those multiple trips. Slippers (for outdoors) can be used in those instances.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 863
I live in Florida and I've solved the problem in a different way. I take my shoes off when I get home, and make multiple trips to the car in my bare feet. Then I never worry about dirty shoes in my house.
__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I've always thought of the "5 second rule" as a joke, or maybe an excuse that the person is going to eat it anyway so "ha ha, 5 second rule."

It's silly to think that there's some set time that grime and germs from the floor take to infect food. If the food is on the floor it has already gotten some of the stuff on the food surface. If it can't be washed (e.g. raw vegetables) then the only choices are either discard it or eat it germs and all.

I mostly prefer socks or bare feet in my house but I wear my shoes in and out and I presume whatever I stepped in at the street, market or any other place is on the bottom of my shoes. (How about public restrooms?) And even if I took off my shoes inside the house without fail, what about my dog? Take his feet off? Wash them every time he's been outside?

Sometimes you have little choice. In my many years of camping I remember twice dropping my steak on the ground. Each time it fell in the dirt next to or under the campground table, both times I was many hours round trip from a market, both times it was either eat it or go without meat. One time I had dropped my steak before cooking it (it was raw). The other time I had dropped it between grill and plate. I'm saddened to say that I know from personal experience that if you're going to drop your steak in the dirt and then eat it, do it before you cook it. Washing works better on a raw steak than on a cooked steak. It's easier to get grit out of a raw steak and you can imagine that the heat from the fire sterilizes it.

I'm a germophobe. Almost nobody cleans vegetables better than me. I would never eat anything that fell on the floor or on the ground except as in my camping story above. (And I must have learned something because it happened only twice in many, many years.)

There's no 5 second rule. If it lands on the floor it's already dirty, may have germs, and your only choice is to eat it or not.

I don't want to see food that fell on the floor on my plate! (Wait, that's a different topic!!!)
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.