"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Clearly, the moral of your story is, "Don't go camping."

Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Clearly, the moral of your story is, "Don't go camping."
I'm down with that.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Andy, the rule is be careful when you're cooking and camping, particularly when you have few food choices restricted to what you brought along, and very particularly if you're camping many hours away from stores. (Usually the case for me.) In these circumstances the 5 second rule is superfluous. Your choice can sometimes become eat it even if it fell on the ground no matter how long there. The new rule becomes pick it up and wash it off as quickly as possible, then eat it.

My mom used to have a saying: "Every person must eat a pound of dirt before they die." I think one way or another that's true.

Anyway I'm currently burned out on camping, for reasons too lengthy and off topic to go into here. Maybe I'll go again some day, maybe not, or maybe I'll visit the same beautiful places and then stay at a hotel and eat in the dining room. And I'll hope they don't have some version of the 5 second rule in the kitchen.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Why would I need to make 5 trips INTO the house? I have a large mat at each door. I bring all the groceries into the house and set them on the floor, making as many trips as needed, then I remove my shoes (I don't wear slippers, socks or bare feet are sufficient) and put things away. Why would I needlessly track dirt or snow into my house? Living in Florida perhaps it would be different, but here, if I walked through my house 5 times to put things away that would not be a SMALL mess. As I said Timothy, walking through someone's house with your shoes on is a major faux pas here. Clearly your culture is different.
Pretty much in Florida, as a guest, you're expected to wipe your shoes off very well, on a supplied door mat. Then, unless the home owner requests you to remove your shoes, you go on in.

If it's really nasty out with our usual summertime rains, you supply multiple door mats. One for wet feet, then another to finish wiping them until they're dry. If your shoes are a total mess, then removing your shoes is a consideration to the home owner.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

we take our shoes off every time we come into the house. we both keep a pair of slip on shoes to change into (mine are moccasins) for the multiple trips in and out so they can easily be put on/taken off for each trip.

problem solved, anus relaxed.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #36
Executive Chef

in all my homes and all my friend's homes throughout the years, it would have been rude (and offensive) to take off one's shoes in the house--barring some type of medical excuse, or a special situation involving painful or swollen feet, perhaps. no one would think of walking around your house in sweaty socks or bare feet, nor park their (often) smelly sneakers or boots in a designated place upon entering your home. maybe if you and your guests always socialized in your stocking feet, you would also be prompted to use more care and deodorizing of your feet and footwear.

there are also considerations of dirty and holey socks, getting runs in expensive hose, foot diseases, ugly exposed feet, some people's foot fetishes, etc.....

just as some people's feet are dirty and/or sweaty, some people's floors and carpets are filthy and covered with pet hair, and worse. aren't there places you simply wouldn't want to walk around in unclad feet?

i realize i'm really rambling and disorganized in this post, and that's because i'm only beginning to give this matter any kind of serious thought for the first time.
i'm really not sure what my thinking will be once i've read and listened to the opinions of some of the folks out there who would ban or discourage the wearing of shoes in their homes....

again please forgive my incoherent writing in this post--i just don't want to rewrite the whole thing, and there may actually be a valid thought or two contained somewhere in here....:)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #37
Master Chef

I think this is how the butter battle started!

Dr. Seuss was a smart fella!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Let's see. As a child I learned that you had to kiss it up to God, then eat it. And our parents always said, "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die." I am still working on my peck. And since God didn't cook it, he didn't really care.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #39
Head Chef

I have lived all over the country, and seldom ran into the 'shoes off before entering' rule until I moved to Ely MN--way up north. Snow + the salt/grit used on the road made an awful mess if shoes/boots were worn indoors. Of course, that rule only applied in the winter (which was about 9 months of the year)--shoes were ok in the summer.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
Everymom

I did mention this was likely a cultural thing right? For goodness sakes people, take your cue from your host. If I greet you in sock feet, please don't wear your shoes in my house. Similarly, if I come to your house and you're wearing shoes, I won't gross you out with my sock feet. I won't be observing the 5 second rule in your house either though.