"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think the 5 second rule is just so you know that it recently fell on the floor. If you went around picking up any old piece of food off the floor, it might have been there a long time.

For me it depends on a number of things: Is it just for me or is it for someone else? Can it be washed? Did it pick up cat hair? Am I going to cook it? Do I have more, or was that all of it? How broke am I? How much do I like it? How dirty does it look?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

In Hawaii, everyone wears flip flops, some more stylish than others. Everyone takes off their FF at the door. The polite thing to do is to make sure you take your own, and not another's when leaving. Even in the business world, FF are removed before entering the office. The strangest sight I saw when living there was business men lined up at the bus stop in business suits with ties and FF on. And down of Fourth Street, is where the Asians wait. They squat down on the curb with their briefcases beside them and dressed accordingly as stated.

When I came back to the mainland in the middle of February, it was a hard habit to break. Specially since there was snow everywhere. I kept leaving my shoes outside.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #43
Sous Chef

When I'm making trips to the car with bags of groceries, I set them in the entryway, then when all the bags are in the house, take off my shoes and carry them into the kitchen. It's mostly out of habit, since 9 months out of the year I have salt and snow to deal with. If my shoes are dry, and I remember something I need to grab after I already have my shoes on, I might just go grab it. Plus, we have cats that have a cat door. They certainly don't wipe their feet. So for me the 5 second rule would depend on: a) how recently did I wash my floor? And b) what was it that I dropped?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have inside only cats, so the cat hair problem...and the litter box. I still take my work shoes off in the back of the car, because I know where they have been. I have a pair of "car" shoes that I wear shopping and to the door. Shrek walks in changes to indoor shoes and shuttles bags from the door and further into the kitchen. I run back and forth. I rarely have anything on my feet in the house. My work shoes never make it in the house once worn at work.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Wow. Who would have ever guessed that this could have been talked about for several pages. It was like a train wreck for me. I just couldn't look away and read the whole thing, and I will still probably eat things after dropping them on the floor. It's gross anywhere, but I know me. BTW, even places where people are not wearing shoes the floor is still gross-from feet! I know some people who would throw away a carrot after dropping it on the floor: it grew in dirt. I would think you could just wash it off.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I did mention this was likely a cultural thing right? For goodness sakes people, take your cue from your host. If I greet you in sock feet, please don't wear your shoes in my house. Similarly, if I come to your house and you're wearing shoes, I won't gross you out with my sock feet. I won't be observing the 5 second rule in your house either though.
if, after all of this brouhaha about shoes/not shoes, you still invite me to your home, alix, i will bring along a pair of my indoor shoes, a bottle of good wine, a six-pack of beer and a roomba. we can have a good talk and a laugh about our cultures, and maybe even eat some of your famous lemon bars(?)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
So, as in my example, you remove your shoes each trip in the house when you're carrying in supplies from the car? Then put them back on to go out for the next trip? I've never seen anyone do that.
I bring the groceries in, park the bags by the door, and go out for the rest. Once everything is inside, I take off my shoes and put away the groceries. I have shoes that are never worn outside. I also wear slippers in the house and have "guest" slipper socks for when friends visit. I take my "barn boots" off outside (in the summer kitchen) and they stay in the summer kitchen. I wash my hands (up to my elbows) after every trip to the barn and I don't wear my barn coat except for trips to the barn. I also steam mop (love my Shark Vac-N-Steam) the kitchen floor at least once a day (I can't go to bed until the floor's been vac'd and steamed and the dishes are done). I use a clean "mop pad" every day, sometimes 2-3 / day just for the kitchen (I spilled some juice on the floor this a.m., so I fired up the mop and mopped the floor...I'll do it again before I go to bed...) especially during "mud season" when the dogs are in and out. Come to think of it, my kitchen floor is cleaned more often than I wash my sheets...I'm not a neat freak, but part of doing dishes after supper included sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor. A habit I guess I acquired.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I also steam mop (love my Shark Vac-N-Steam) the kitchen floor at least once a day.
What a cool cleaning gadget. I just watched the youtube demo of it. What does it cost? I'll be buying one of these!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What a cool cleaning gadget. I just watched the youtube demo of it. What does it cost? I'll be buying one of these!
I think they are around $149, but they go on sale every now and again. I bought one in August for my mom because she can't drag the mop and bucket out. I leave mine plugged in all the time. It only takes about 30 seconds for it to be ready to mop (I have to admit, I use it more for mopping than vacuuming--because I send the IRoomba out to vaccum). I also have a Swifter vac-mop, but that's used for light jobs (and you have to keep buying the pads).

I actually have two of the Shark vac-n-Steams. This means I have 8 pads. I keep one upstairs and the other one I keep downstairs. When I take back the house in the City in May, one will go with me, the other will live at the farm. I'll probably take 6 pads back to the house in the City, and leave 2 here. I toss the pads in the washer when 3-4 of them are dirty. I wash them separately (no clothes, dish towels, etc.). You can buy extra pads. I also have one of the shark steamers. It isn't as convenient to use as the Vac-n-Steam mop, but is great for doing windows. I don't want to spend more time cleaning than I must and these tools save me time (and elbow grease--I have a back issue, so they really have made cleaning the Saint drool off the walls, etc., a lot easier on my back). I got my mom's at Walmart in MN.

Because I have environmental allergies, I really like using steam to clean. I've had one of the vac-n-steams for over 2 years. It handles the Saint hair and sand. You just have to empty it. I wash the "foam" filter every month by hand. I use the one downstairs every day.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

I also have one of the shark steamers. It isn't as convenient to use as the Vac-n-Steam mop, but is great for doing windows.
Do you ever use the Shark steamer to steam wrinkles out of your clothes? If so, how good a job does it do?