Who believes/follows the 5 second rule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't care if anybody's watching. I don't covet any desire to eat stuff off the floor. I'd do it only if camping and only if I had no choice to do without or eat what I have.

I'm amazed that anybody would eat stuff off the floor, unless there's some special circumstance (camping).

I don't care if anybody's watching. I don't covet any desire to eat stuff off the floor. I'd do it only if camping and only if I had no choice to do without or eat what I have.

I'm amazed that anybody would eat stuff off the floor, unless there's some special circumstance (camping).

So, if a whole bag of potatoes or carrots gets dropped and explodes on your floor do you just throw it out?

Buckytom, was looking at some models at Amazon. What model did you get your mother? I have a galley kitchen and a bathroom. Would be perfect for those two areas. I have nice kids who will buy it for me for my birthday in March. I just haven't told them yet. :angel:

addie, dw has the shark steam mop model #s3501. i think we bought the same model for my mom, but when dw bought her's a year or so ago it came with interchangeable heads: a rectangular one and a triangular one. my mom's only came with the rectangular one, but i believe the rest of the unit is the same.

there's a newer model out that supposedly gets the steam even hotter to guarantee disinfection, but it seemed flimsy so we got the older model for mom. the older one runs anywhere from $80 on sale to around $120 full price.

but you make your money back on all of the food you can eat that drops on the floor over time..
:cool:

one happy camper here....:)

you do realize that many veggies grow in or on dirt, and meat recently surrounded a poo tract, and as we speak, your body is crawling inside and out with millions of creatures...

addie, dw has the shark steam mop model #s3501. i think we bought the same model for my mom, but when dw bought her's a year or so ago it came with interchangeable heads: a rectangular one and a triangular one. my mom's only came with the rectangular one, but i believe the rest of the unit is the same.

there's a newer model out that supposedly gets the steam even hotter to guarantee disinfection, but it seemed flimsy so we got the older model for mom. the older one runs anywhere from $80 on sale to around $120 full price.

but you make your money back on all of the food you can eat that drops on the floor over time..
:cool:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

you do realize that many veggies grow in or on dirt, and meat recently surrounded a poo tract, and as we speak, your body is crawling inside and out with millions of creatures...
All of those "creatures" are exactly where they belong. I"m not putting them into my mouth.

I'm referring to food falling out of the pan or out of my plate and landing on the floor.

Okay, that makes more sense to me. I was also thinking of stuff that falls on the floor while I'm prepping it. It seems to me that stuff falls or rolls off the counter while I'm cutting it up, on a fairly regular basis. Almost always when stuff falls out of a frying pan, it falls onto my stove.

When you're discussing ingredients falling on the floor during preparation it becomes too complex for me to state a rule describing what I would if this or if that. It depends on the ingredient, depends on how clean the floor is, etc.

The one thing I'm sure about, if it falls off my plate and lands on the floor I'm not going to pick it up and eat it, no matter how many seconds.

All of those "creatures" are exactly where they belong. I"m not putting them into my mouth.

a bunch of those creatures are in your mouth, too! and on the hands you use to put food in your mouth.

i just think the whole thing is silly. of course no one wants dirt or microscopic "creatures" on their food, but our world is loaded with both. you can fool yourself into thinking you're perfectly clean. i prefer not to think about it, and just try to be reasonably clean.

I will never consider my floors truly clean for more than a few minutes after they are washed. I just watched my cat drag his bum across the hardwood floor of my living room. I think I want one of those steam cleaner/vacuum thingees.

I will never consider my floors truly clean for more than a few minutes after they are washed. I just watched my cat drag his bum across the hardwood floor of my living room. I think I want one of those steam cleaner/vacuum thingees.
Me too. I have a dog and I can't watch where he's been or wash his feet every time he comes inside. Then there's the hair he sheds plus anything else that gets on his coat. And I'll be honest and admit my temperament is not conducive to frequent cleaning.

If it falls on the floor and it's something that's going to be washed and cooked, then maybe, but if it comes off my plate and lands on the floor then I'm certainly not going to pick it up and put it in my mouth.

Maybe other people are less squeamish than me, maybe other people's floors are cleaner than mine. My 5 second rule is that if my dog doesn't eat it in 5 seconds then it's going in the trash.

Last edited:
Well worth the money (and the time it saves--no more having to drag out a bucket and mop and wait 30 minutes for the floor to dry).

At the risk of never being able to post again from the shame, the cloth on the right is the one from this morning. The one of the left tonight's cloth. All I did today was go out and get wood, let the dog out, and in, and out again. I love my vac-n-steam. PS--this was only the kitchen floor. I do have to go across that floor to go out and get wood, as does the dog to go in and out. Maybe I should do the floor again first thing tomorrow morning and capture that picture as well....I'm really not that dirty!

The one I have is this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...aners_AD1_En&gclid=COHWk-a6zq0CFY0BQAodEifZmg

Attachments

• IMG_0237[1].jpg
    IMG_0237[1].jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
At the risk of never being able to post again from the shame, the cloth on the right is the one from this morning. The one of the left tonight's cloth. All I did today was go out and get wood, let the dog out, and in, and out again. I love my vac-n-steam. PS--this was only the kitchen floor. I do have to go across that floor to go out and get wood, as does the dog to go in and out. Maybe I should do the floor again first thing tomorrow morning and capture that picture as well....I'm really not that dirty!

The one I have is this one:

Shark Vac Then Steam | Canadian Tire

Thanks for the site. I don't need the vac/steam. Just the steam. I can clean my kitchen in just two or three swipes. So you have answered my questions I had. Ever since I had the bypass surgery about ten years ago, I find it very painful to sweep back and forth. So I have a small push broom that cleans my floor quickly. It is the washing that I need just the steam one for. My son looked at Walmart and I think I found what I need for less than $100. So at the beginning of next month, he has to go to Walmart and is going to pick one up for me. He is going to take a look at the model first. In the meantime it is still the mop and pail. Oh joy!! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom