"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
TG,

Regarding online reviews, you have to take them with a grain of salt, particularly the very negative reviews. Many people experience "Buyer's Remorse" after a major purchase, and this is their outlet. Of course, there is also the odd possibility that someone got a lemon...that happens. There are people who are never happy, and would even complain if you hung them with a nice, new, slippery rope! Three bad out of 27 would not scare me off. Good Luck!

JoeV
This is all very true. Also do not forget that no product is ever going to be 100%. There will always be a few people who get one of whatever that just does not work.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I have a 22'' screen tv and think thats a huge screen. Why the need for a gigantic screen? All I know is the bigger the tv the bigger room you will need.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I have a 22'' screen tv and think thats a huge screen. Why the need for a gigantic screen? All I know is the bigger the tv the bigger room you will need.

Because of the way my living room is made.
It's 14'x 22' , but, the fireplace is in the middle, so, furniture placement is not good and only one way to do it, which puts us 16' from the tv. We had a 50" before and it is so much easier to see, especially when we don't have 20/20 anymore and not getting better the older we get we have a 32 right now and it's hard to see the words on the guide. If there is any words to read on commercials or subtitles, we can't see it. We have to get up and walk closer just to do that.
If our LR was made in a way that we could have our furniture closer, then, a bigger screen wouldn't be needed, but, as it is, we can't see the smaller screen without getting a headache from squinting.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

We got a big screen, around 6 or 7 years old now (maybe older). Might have paid $1500. Hitachi... LOVE IT. Been a great TV. No HD, no nothing. Awesome pic. I'm keeping this puppy till it dies... so no reason to go out and buy a HD tv or flat screen just to have one.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Screen size is deceiving, especially if you try to compare old style (analog) TVs with a 4:3 aspect ratio to wide-screen/HDTVs with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

The key to picture size is screen height. That is what determines how big images such as actors, athletes or scenery, etc. will be. For example, a 22" wide-screen TV has the same picture height as an 18" analog TV.

What you get with the wide-screen is more image to the left and right of the central area. This is evident when you watch a non-digital program on a wide-screen TV. The picture if full height, but there are areas to the left and the right of the picture that are blank screen. If that same picture switched to a digital wide-screen image, the areas to the left and right would fill in but the height of the image would not change.

So what you really need to compare when deciding you want a "bigger" picture is the screen height.

You should also consider that, if you are going to mount the new TV on a wall, it will be a little farther away from your chair/sofa than the old TV on a stand or entertainment center.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
Sous Chef

We bought a Samsung, 46". Its not plasma-sorry, I can't remember the acronym (DLP? PTA? FBI?) I do know its 1080P (?) wife says thats a good thing.

Paid about 2000$-very happy with it so far.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
Head Chef

when you look at the dlps .. look to see how much the replacement bulbs
cost .. and how often they say they are good for ..
i have a friend who has to replace his every 1000 hours or so ..
i think its 200 bucks a pop .. but i could be wrong on the price ..
Old 11-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
when you look at the dlps .. look to see how much the replacement bulbs
cost .. and how often they say they are good for ..
i have a friend who has to replace his every 1000 hours or so ..
i think its 200 bucks a pop .. but i could be wrong on the price ..
I have had a 65" DLP for two years. Never had to replace a bulb.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Does the DLP suffer the same pixelation and blocking of areas when the picture is in motion (IE: Pan shot) as the plasma and LCD?

We have a 1080i CRT, quite happy with it. View it from 12' (couch) and 16' (computer station), can be viewed from about any angle, but yes, there is a squint factor.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Does the DLP suffer the same pixelation and blocking of areas when the picture is in motion (IE: Pan shot) as the plasma and LCD?
I have heard of this with plasma, but I have never heard of it with LCD. I have an LCD and the picture has never been less than perfect.