"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Master Chef

Who has big screen TVs?

Okay, we are wanting another big screen since ours died. We can't afford a real expensive one, but, when I look at some, I get so nervous about the stupid reviews. I did find one about $1200 and there were 27 reviews, 3 were HORRIBLE. It's those 3 that scare me
What do you have and what did you pay? I know some don't want to say a price, but, if you paid under $1500 and absolutely love it, tell what it is.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought a Samsung, I don't remember the model letters/numbers, and love it. Good pic, good sound, intuitive remote and menu setup (I don't think I even opened the instruction manual yet). There's a thread here somewhere, right around the time Andy bought his Sony. Circuit City hosed me on the price they gave me, so I ordered it from Amazon. Amazon sent it on the whirlwind tour across the United States, so I ended up buying it from ABT Electronics. I've boughten a second kitchen set from them and when the time comes, will buy another for the bedroom from them. They'll match any price and ship fast.... without mistakes. As long as you can check out the TV in person first, I have no hesitations buying it online.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Master Chef

Hey, I remember that. Thanks, I will go search there too.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

TG:

Are you looking for a projection TV specifically?
What size?
Would you consider an LCD or Plasma?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Master Chef

size :54+
We had a rear projection before. Some that we have heard from do not like their plasma, but, I don't know anything about them. LCD's look nice and clear.
I'm really open on that. I want the best picture of course, but, not a maintenance hog either.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're looking for 54"+ in the $1500 price range, I think your only option may be a DLP.

I would shop online TODAY for black friday deals. I bought my TV online and am very happy with the transaction. I go to google and type in a request then visit the websites they bring up.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Head Chef

We bought a 52" Phillips LCD at Sam's Club about a month ago. So far we love it! It was $1877 but the prices are dropping so if you can hold out a little while...maybe til after Christmas...the prices will be lower. You can also get some great deals off of the Sam's Club Auction. If we could have waited, we could have gotten a much better price on ours You'll need Sam's card to bid though.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Master Chef

cool, thanks!!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Head Chef

TG,

Regarding online reviews, you have to take them with a grain of salt, particularly the very negative reviews. Many people experience "Buyer's Remorse" after a major purchase, and this is their outlet. Of course, there is also the odd possibility that someone got a lemon...that happens. There are people who are never happy, and would even complain if you hung them with a nice, new, slippery rope! Three bad out of 27 would not scare me off. Good Luck!

JoeV
Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Someone told me not 5 minutes ago that CC delared bankrupty. I'm not sure if that's all of them or just the local one, but your link was at CC, so I just thought I'd mention that. I know some people like to make major purchases at physical stores and you might want to see if they are still going to be around if you go the CC route.