Who has big screen TVs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Okay, we are wanting another big screen since ours died. We can't afford a real expensive one, but, when I look at some, I get so nervous about the stupid reviews. I did find one about $1200 and there were 27 reviews, 3 were HORRIBLE. It's those 3 that scare me:wacko:
What do you have and what did you pay? I know some don't want to say a price, but, if you paid under $1500 and absolutely love it, tell what it is.

I bought a Samsung, I don't remember the model letters/numbers, and love it. Good pic, good sound, intuitive remote and menu setup (I don't think I even opened the instruction manual yet). There's a thread here somewhere, right around the time Andy bought his Sony. Circuit City hosed me on the price they gave me, so I ordered it from Amazon. Amazon sent it on the whirlwind tour across the United States, so I ended up buying it from ABT Electronics. I've boughten a second kitchen set from them and when the time comes, will buy another for the bedroom from them. They'll match any price and ship fast.... without mistakes. As long as you can check out the TV in person first, I have no hesitations buying it online.

TG:

Are you looking for a projection TV specifically?
What size?
Would you consider an LCD or Plasma?

size :54+
We had a rear projection before. Some that we have heard from do not like their plasma, but, I don't know anything about them. LCD's look nice and clear.
I'm really open on that. I want the best picture of course, but, not a maintenance hog either.

If you're looking for 54"+ in the $1500 price range, I think your only option may be a DLP.

I would shop online TODAY for black friday deals. I bought my TV online and am very happy with the transaction. I go to google and type in a request then visit the websites they bring up.

We bought a 52" Phillips LCD at Sam's Club about a month ago. So far we love it! It was $1877 but the prices are dropping so if you can hold out a little while...maybe til after Christmas...the prices will be lower. You can also get some great deals off of the Sam's Club Auction. If we could have waited, we could have gotten a much better price on ours You'll need Sam's card to bid though.

TG,

Regarding online reviews, you have to take them with a grain of salt, particularly the very negative reviews. Many people experience "Buyer's Remorse" after a major purchase, and this is their outlet. Of course, there is also the odd possibility that someone got a lemon...that happens. There are people who are never happy, and would even complain if you hung them with a nice, new, slippery rope!:LOL: Three bad out of 27 would not scare me off. Good Luck!

JoeV

Someone told me not 5 minutes ago that CC delared bankrupty. I'm not sure if that's all of them or just the local one, but your link was at CC, so I just thought I'd mention that. I know some people like to make major purchases at physical stores and you might want to see if they are still going to be around if you go the CC route.

TG,

Regarding online reviews, you have to take them with a grain of salt, particularly the very negative reviews. Many people experience "Buyer's Remorse" after a major purchase, and this is their outlet. Of course, there is also the odd possibility that someone got a lemon...that happens. There are people who are never happy, and would even complain if you hung them with a nice, new, slippery rope!:LOL: Three bad out of 27 would not scare me off. Good Luck!

JoeV
This is all very true. Also do not forget that no product is ever going to be 100%. There will always be a few people who get one of whatever that just does not work.

:)I have a 22'' screen tv and think thats a huge screen. Why the need for a gigantic screen? All I know is the bigger the tv the bigger room you will need.

:)I have a 22'' screen tv and think thats a huge screen. Why the need for a gigantic screen? All I know is the bigger the tv the bigger room you will need.

Because of the way my living room is made.:wacko:
It's 14'x 22' , but, the fireplace is in the middle, so, furniture placement is not good and only one way to do it, which puts us 16' from the tv. We had a 50" before and it is so much easier to see, especially when we don't have 20/20 anymore and not getting better the older we get:LOL: we have a 32 right now and it's hard to see the words on the guide. If there is any words to read on commercials or subtitles, we can't see it. We have to get up and walk closer just to do that.
If our LR was made in a way that we could have our furniture closer, then, a bigger screen wouldn't be needed, but, as it is, we can't see the smaller screen without getting a headache from squinting.

We got a big screen, around 6 or 7 years old now (maybe older). Might have paid $1500. Hitachi... LOVE IT. Been a great TV. No HD, no nothing. Awesome pic. I'm keeping this puppy till it dies... so no reason to go out and buy a HD tv or flat screen just to have one.

Screen size is deceiving, especially if you try to compare old style (analog) TVs with a 4:3 aspect ratio to wide-screen/HDTVs with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

The key to picture size is screen height. That is what determines how big images such as actors, athletes or scenery, etc. will be. For example, a 22" wide-screen TV has the same picture height as an 18" analog TV.

What you get with the wide-screen is more image to the left and right of the central area. This is evident when you watch a non-digital program on a wide-screen TV. The picture if full height, but there are areas to the left and the right of the picture that are blank screen. If that same picture switched to a digital wide-screen image, the areas to the left and right would fill in but the height of the image would not change.

So what you really need to compare when deciding you want a "bigger" picture is the screen height.

You should also consider that, if you are going to mount the new TV on a wall, it will be a little farther away from your chair/sofa than the old TV on a stand or entertainment center.

We bought a Samsung, 46". Its not plasma-sorry, I can't remember the acronym (DLP? PTA? FBI?:LOL:) I do know its 1080P (?) wife says thats a good thing.

Paid about 2000$-very happy with it so far.

when you look at the dlps .. look to see how much the replacement bulbs
cost .. and how often they say they are good for ..
i have a friend who has to replace his every 1000 hours or so ..
i think its 200 bucks a pop .. but i could be wrong on the price ..

when you look at the dlps .. look to see how much the replacement bulbs
cost .. and how often they say they are good for ..
i have a friend who has to replace his every 1000 hours or so ..
i think its 200 bucks a pop .. but i could be wrong on the price ..

I have had a 65" DLP for two years. Never had to replace a bulb.

Does the DLP suffer the same pixelation and blocking of areas when the picture is in motion (IE: Pan shot) as the plasma and LCD?

We have a 1080i CRT, quite happy with it. View it from 12' (couch) and 16' (computer station), can be viewed from about any angle, but yes, there is a squint factor.

Does the DLP suffer the same pixelation and blocking of areas when the picture is in motion (IE: Pan shot) as the plasma and LCD?
I have heard of this with plasma, but I have never heard of it with LCD. I have an LCD and the picture has never been less than perfect.

Back
Top Bottom