"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Who here would like to PRINT their meal out (BBC Article)....

BBC News - The printed future of Christmas dinner

Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
For most food

It might work well for some foods: some sauces, chocolate, pudding.

I wonder about vitamins.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon I will stick with the old fashioned way....I am always WAAAAAAY behind on technology.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Ooooooo! Yummo. Food from a tube, can't wait. Once we had spray cheese, could this have been far behind?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Something tells me mom's apple pie just won't be the same coming out of a 3D printer. Looks like this concept would suck the joy right out of cooking. No thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

LOL it may not be what you want to happen, but I think you'd better start trying to get your brain around to its 'reality'. I've been following this for ages and its progress now seems to be snowballing, and not just for food.
Voila! You're now in the 'real-world' probability of an old sci-fi concept that made the mainstream with "beam me up Scotty".
Haven't reached that technology plateau yet, but the 3-D printer concept is a reality and continues to get refined so that I think in not many years (or even sooner) a 3-D printer outlet in your home will be able to clone and construct all sorts of goods sent over the net and probably several other methods.
A "Brave New World" indeed...are you ready for it!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
LOL it may not be what you want to happen, but I think you'd better start trying to get your brain around to its 'reality'. I've been following this for ages and its progress now seems to be snowballing, and not just for food.
Voila! You're now in the 'real-world' probability of an old sci-fi concept that made the mainstream with "beam me up Scotty".
Haven't reached that technology plateau yet, but the 3-D printer concept is a reality and continues to get refined so that I think in not many years (or even sooner) a 3-D printer outlet in your home will be able to clone and construct all sorts of goods sent over the net and probably several other methods.
A "Brave New World" indeed...are you ready for it!
I think you are right.

I just don't want to eat the stuff that comes out of it until it has been tweaked, a whole lot.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

I completely agree about 'printed' food, don't wanna know until it's perfected, but the other possibilities of what can be 'printed' are intriguing. It's meant to encompass everything from clothing items to furniture, anything made of plastic and eventually electronic devices when they figure out how to do them.
If all this happens, think of the positive gains, less traffic as you won't have to fight the crowds at the mall or supermarkets, and 'cleaner' air because of it, LOL that's the theory anyway!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Senior Cook

It really is pretty mind blowing but I realize it's not so far-fetched. Cooking is just such a huge part of our histories and cultures I hate to see it get phased out any more than it already has been.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
Head Chef

"You can imagine a 3D printer making homemade apple pie without the need for farming the apples, fertilizing, transporting, refrigerating, packaging, fabricating, cooking, serving and the need for all of the materials in these processes like cars, trucks, pans, coolers, etc," he adds. This is from the article.

This sounds like awfully artificial food to me. I'm not sure that it follows the trend toward real, healthy food. Maybe I'm just not ttechnologically savvy enough to 'get" it.