Who Is Also A Yelper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh shoooooooooooot!
I checked my email and saw that I had a "yelp" email....but the email addy looked like a spam, so I deleted you....sorry! Please email again!

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would bump it up to let our UK friends know that Yelp is now on the UK too.

I checked this out this morning for the first time. What fun! Of course 99% of the Galena reviews were from Chicago & the 'burbs. As you'd expect, some were unfair, but overall I agreed with the majority of restaurant reviews (we eat out about 4-6 times a month). Not surprisingly, most Chicagoans don't "get" the concept of a town of 3500 that on tourist days can become many, many, many times that, and often unpredictably. Then they'll have all they can do to get through the winter, especially if they gear themselves strictly to the tourist trade and don't have a local base. As my husband says, "we have a Galena budget and the restaurants have Chicago prices." (As many small, somewhat isolated towns the jobs aren't much and don't pay much.)

That said, I think that most of Galena's restaurants are very inconsistent; so much so that I hesitate to recommend one with too much praise, even those I love to go to and consider the owners to be personal friends.

One thing that cracked me up ... several places listed under restaurants were not, in fact, restaurants (some were B&Bs that do not have a restaurant at all, just breakfast for guests, one is a gas station/booze store that does have a Subway outlet, but don't know anyone who'd call it a restaurant). I think a third, maybe half, were restaurants that have not been in business for years. For someone planning a visit here it would be very misleading.

Claire - it doesn't cost anything to join/register at Yelp, & in your case it might be worth joining just to take the few minutes it would take to post/advise on the "third, maybe half" restaurants that are now closed.

I've been a "Yelper" for awhile now, & I know that folks travelling to different areas really really appreciate it when people take the time to update listings. Heck, even local folks appreciate it, especially if it's a location that normally has a fast business turnover.

I did just join, if for no reason than to let them know which restaurants are defunct, which are not restaurants, and which have changed hands and are totally different now (for example some restaurants have changed hands several times and a person visiting might be reading a review that isn't based on what is now there -- for example, one location was Cajun, then sort of generic, now is Japanese!). I hesitate to do a review because it is a small town and anyone would know in two sentences who I am!

What a laugh. I just started looking to write some things on yelp and read the guidelines. If I know the owner of the business I'm not supposed to respond. This is a small town. I know probably 85% of the business owners of the places I frequent. Guess I'll wait until I hit Florida to visit the family and review places in Daytona!

What a laugh. I just started looking to write some things on yelp and read the guidelines. If I know the owner of the business I'm not supposed to respond. This is a small town. I know probably 85% of the business owners of the places I frequent. Guess I'll wait until I hit Florida to visit the family and review places in Daytona!
I think you need to take that in the spirit it was meant Claire. They just don't want someone giving an unfair review because you know the owner. It is to keep the owners mom getting on and posting an unfairly positive review as opposed to people from a small town who are going to know everyone else posting a fair review.

Back
Top Bottom