Who is an actual Certified Chef here at DC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your inner or outer chef

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kitchenelf

I would love to go to Culinary School but at the moment I am busy re-decorating.

There is a College very close to where I live and I might take a ride over there to see what they offer in the way of cooking.

Jill and Jolie

Based on years in the industry, and the level my company and similar companies place me at, I am an executive chef. I worked my way up the ladder over a period of 10 years.
There are times when I feel like a sham because I don't have the 'pedigree' that some places demand. Then I produce an event, getting on the line with the guys, that looks and tastes like any 5 star joint and I am satisfied I have earned the title.
It's about confidence and humility at the same time.

I'm just an ethusiastic amateur cook (note: not a chef!). I've been on lots of cookery courses, in the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe, eg France, Italy, Greece and Portugal. Some of the courses have been one or two days - a few have been for a week or two and one was for a month or six weeks (Cordon Bleu, Paris and the only one that gave me a certificate!) I have enjoyed them all - many with well known chefs such as Anton Mosimann, JeanCristoph Novelli, Rick Stein, Raymond Blanc and others - some just talented local cooks - for instance in Florence.

I also helped out a friend who had a business in London catering for business lunches at large companies in the City and also private dinner parties in the posher areas of town. It was hard work, and I only did it for about 6 months as it was not my 'day' job.

BUT, I know that I would NEVER wish to be a professional cook. I'm a red-haired, short-tempered Scot... If ANYONE had the temerity to complain about my food, I'd be hard-pressed not to explode... a bit like Gordon Ramsay (another Scot) who famously threw one of the UK's better-known food critics, A A Gill out of a restaurant with his dining companions, including Joan Collins.... and all Gill had done was WRITE a poor review of one of Ramsay's restaurants!

No, cooking for friends and family suits me fine :LOL:

I did not put the "C" in Chef. I just like to cook and eat and have people over to eat what I cook. We play lots of music, have some drinks and also dessert, and talk about other stuff we would like to eat next time, or politics (or not).

It's a pretty good time.

After watching food TV for 3 plus years, I should be certified. It would have been nice to go to culinary school if I would have discovered my passion for cooking earlier. And I believe that we're never too old to attend school and gain a bit more wisdom and fulfull our dreams.

Elf, Run Out and TexasGirl - did you feel sorry that no one had voted on the "What's Culinary School" option? :chef: Or do you really not know? :)

mudbug said:
I did not put the "C" in Chef. I just like to cook and eat and have people over to eat what I cook. We play lots of music, have some drinks and also dessert, and talk about other stuff we would like to eat next time, or politics (or not).

It's a pretty good time.
and, at the end of the day, isn't that what it's really all about???? "The Joy of Cooking" is much more than just the name of a well known cookbook, imo :D

Back
Top Bottom