"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
amber you can also catch it on bbc world or any bbc channel with i lived in canada we watched it on PBS and BBC
Yes, I used to watch it on BBC, but now I only have basic cable, which doesnt include BBC unfortunately So glad CBC runs Coronation Street!

Old 08-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Coronation Street is my favorite soap! American soaps are so unrealistic, and everyone is always dressed up and in full makeup even if they are not working I pick up Coronation Street through a canadian channel (CBC).
All my children...my sister used to have me in stitches telling me about it. I loved the hooker who was held hostage by a drug dealer, got shot or something, ended up in the hospital, dr fell in love with her...and she became president of a cosmetics firm.

I have no idea how I remember that...some little brain cell retained it just for this moment.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Just off 2 minutes Amber. They run for 38 minutes. The last network radio soap closed in November 1960.

That was kind of fun if I do say so myself!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcotton
Just off 2 minutes Amber. They run for 38 minutes. The last network radio soap closed in November 1960.

That was kind of fun if I do say so myself!
Darn! I saw it mentioned "radio" soap in 1960, but I was thinking television soap. Certainly was fun though!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Yes, I used to watch it on BBC, but now I only have basic cable, which doesnt include BBC unfortunately So glad CBC runs Coronation Street!
And are you up to date? Cos my sister watched Corrie in Australia and she nearly has a heart attack when she comes here and sees how the storylines have changed.... She couldn't work out how someone like Jack and Vera could be running the pub.... and yet here that was YEAAAARS ago!

And, as you say, our actors act. In most cases, their looks are totally incidental. I couldn't imagine a Vera ever being cast in an American soap, could you?!!!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
And are you up to date? Cos my sister watched Corrie in Australia and she nearly has a heart attack when she comes here and sees how the storylines have changed.... She couldn't work out how someone like Jack and Vera could be running the pub.... and yet here that was YEAAAARS ago!

And, as you say, our actors act. In most cases, their looks are totally incidental. I couldn't imagine a Vera ever being cast in an American soap, could you?!!!
No we are not up to date. We are about six months behind you. I know that because my husband goes to visit his family in England each year and he watched it last time and said we are so far behind, by about six months. We are at the point now where Sarah is fooling around with Jason Your right about Vera, you would never see a woman like her on a soap here. No idea why American soaps are so **** bent on having everyone look and dress perfect, and all have the best jobs To me, your soaps are so much more realistic.