Who is left of your birth family?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
As of yesterday, I'm the last remaining member of my family generation.

My last remaining half brother passed away yesterday at 89yrs old. All my grandparents, parents, three 1/2 siblings, aunts & uncles are all gone now but I was by far, the baby of the family. I'm glad I was able to say goodby to him last week before he passed to be with all the family. At 75 years old, it's a very lonely feeling for me.

Who do you still have that was alive when you were born?

I never knew my grandparents. They were taken in the Armenian Genocide over 100 years ago. My dad died in 1961 when I was 16 an my mom died in 1982.

I have a half brother who is alive and well in Sacramento, CA. He's 97 YO. We don't see each other much. I have sister who's 83 and lives nearby. We talk and visit regularly.

All of my mom's generation, a total of four sisters and one bother, are long gone. Two of the sisters had children and they are all still around. I'm the youngest of that bunch at 74.

I'm fortunate to still have my dad. My mom died in 2003 and all the grandparents are gone. One uncle is gone but still have 2 other uncles still living as well as all their wives but we don't see them much since they live in Ohio and we don't go there to visit anymore. I'm the oldest of my generation and I'm 61. All my siblings and cousins are still around. I'm only in touch with one cousin on a regular basis. My siblings all live within an hour or so of me so we get together more frequently.

I'm 56. The only members of my slightly extended family (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and siblings) who have passed are all four of my grandparents and my aunt. She had Type 1 diabetes and died at the age of 56, I believe.

At 80, I am the last of my family on my mothers side.. To clarify, my father died when I was 4.. My mother and my dad's family did not keep any contact.. I haven't seen/talked with anyone on my fathers side in 70 years..

My daughter is the only remaining member of my original family.. Both my first wife and son have passed away.. My daughter has an aunt and cousins from her mothers side, who we see frequently..

Ross

All my grandparents are gone, as well as my parents. Of the 12 siblings in my mum's family, the youngest is still alive. He is in his nineties. I have a fair number of cousins who are older than me who are still alive. Actually, I think of my nearly 40 first cousins, only one has died and he was younger than me. My one sister is also still alive. None of my dad's siblings are around anymore.

It's just my two sisters and me. My dad died in 1988 and my mom in 2008. Both parents were only children so we never had any aunts, uncles, or first cousins. Two grandparents were dead by the time I was born and I never met the third. My dad's mom died in 1923 and my mom's dad died in 1946. When my dad lost his mother at age 6, we was raised by his aunt and her family. He never had much contact with his dad after that. The only grandparent i ever knew was mom's mom and she was a battleaxe! OMG she was not a revered grandparent! In 2002 I seriously got into genealogy to learn what my ancestors were like.

Interesting question KL

Last edited:
My grandparents are all gone. My parents are alive, at 85 and 87. My only sibling is alive at 60. My father's brother and his wife are in their 70s, and they have four children and eight grandchildren, so there are lots of cousins.

CD

Parents, Grandparents (on both sides) are gone and although there were extensive family on both sides, my father was a single child and my mother only one brother. I have been in touch (LOL) with one cousin (of three) about once every 5 years or so.

I'm second to youngest of 5, eldest brother died too young, about 4 years ago at 77 (pancreatic cancer). Two other sisters, one northerly Ontario, one in OK/FL, and a younger bro in southern Ontario. We mostly communicate via e-mails, occasional phone calls and rare visits.

My eldest bro was the one who kept in touch with 3rd cousins in the Maritimes on my fathers side; on my mothers side, in the States there were 2nd and 3rd cousins galore and my bro again, knew some of them. My maternal grandmother was one of 9 children. Sadly when he passed a lot of that info went with him.

You will think of him often I"m sure Kayelle, I still think on my brother constantly.

Last edited:
Mum had 3 boys, we are all still here with our kids and grandkids, my family name will continue for a long time. Lots of grandsons. My parents and nanas and aunties are all gone. I was lucky growing up knowing my grand parents and great grand parents. They all lived to ripe ages.

Russ

Parents, Grandparents (on both sides) are gone and although there were extensive family on both sides, my father was a single child and my mother only one brother. I have been in touch (LOL) with one cousin (of three) about once every 5 years or so.

My grandfather had six brothers and one sister, so I have a lot of cousins. They mostly live in one area, and many live in one town. I met a lot of them as a kid, but we moved away, and haven't talked to any of them in many years.

My father had one brother, who is eleven years younger than my dad. They have four kids, who each have two kids. I know all of them. In two weeks, my dad's brother and his wife are celebrating their 50th anniversary. I will be there, and get to spend some time with them and their kids -- who are my closest cousins -- and their kids.

I have a very rare Italian name, so on the rare occasion I meet someone with the same name, we both wonder if we are related.

CD

As of yesterday, I'm the last remaining member of my family generation...At 75 years old, it's a very lonely feeling for me...
You're the last of your generation and older, but you still have the blessings of your progeny and their families that go forward. :heart: Still, it's still bittersweet to be the last one standing.

I'm an only child, so no sisters and brothers. By the time I was born, all of my grandparents had passed. My Mom was an "oops" baby, born late in life to her parents, who had six children (four living) before Mom was born. Dad was #3 of four in his family; his Mom died when he was in his early teens. Because his older sister was bossy, and his older brother was close to graduating high school, Dad ended up dropping out of school in 8th grade to help earn money for the family so his brother could go to college. My Uncle might have been "educated", but my Dad was certainly the smarter of the two. As far as aunts and uncles go, most of them lived to ripe old ages (most of my great aunts and uncles on Mom's side made it into their 90s - and Aunt Rosie was 102 when she died), and Mom's siblings were in their 80s and 90s when they went - and almost all of them stayed sharp until the end. I hope that "sharp" trend continues. ;)

I do have cousins, but have no real idea where most of them are, or if they're even alive. By the time I was born, the cousins were old enough to have kids closer in age to me than most of them were. Because of that, I was pretty much out of the cousin loop, since they had all pretty much "clicked" in their own groups. I do keep in Facebook contact with one male cousin on Dad's side, though.

The brother who passed on Saturday was quite a character when I was growing up.

He was in the Navy and it was always exciting when he'd come home. One time was just after Christmas when I had some new "clamp on" roller skates and he clamped them on his shiny black Navy shoes, picked me up and we skated all over the neighborhood with me showing the kids by big Sailor brother. I reminded him of that before he died, and I know in my heart he heard me. I will miss him forever.

The brother who passed on Saturday was quite a character when I was growing up.

He was in the Navy and it was always exciting when he'd come home. One time was just after Christmas when I had some new "clamp on" roller skates and he clamped them on his shiny black Navy shoes, picked me up and we skated all over the neighborhood with me showing the kids by big Sailor brother. I reminded him of that before he died, and I know in my heart he heard me. I will miss him forever.
I'm sorry for your loss, Kay. Hugs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom