"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #61
Senior Cook

Wow!!! Less than a handfull of replies for Alton Brown. That saddens me. I really like the way Alton scientifically approaches food. After all, one can easily equate cooking with chemistry. He's incredibly creative and has an electric personality.

My second favorite would have to be Nigella Lawson, followed closely by Sandra Lee (only because she's... well... hott LOL)

Old 07-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Some of his recipes I like and tried a few of them.

~Corey123.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 AM   #63
Master Chef

Its funny but as I sit here and think about it my viewing of the t.v. food shows has changed in the last year.

Rachael Ray.........in the beginning I absolutley loved her show. But as time went on I'm just not as into it as I was. I think maybe its because food network used to have a message board and people used to harp on her for the way she used so many hand gestures and said certain words or phrases all the time. I never realized it till they pointed it out and now I can't help focusing in on that and its made me not enjoy her show as much.

Paula Dean..........I used to love, love watching her show. However, since she and Michael got married she's become a little too giddy. She giggles so much now. Maybe after the one year mark she'll calm down a bit and I can again enjoy her show like I used to.

Barefoot Contessa.........I have always enjoyed watching her show. I've tried several of her dishes and they were winners each and every time.

Michael Chirrelo (? spelling)...........he's a cutie and I am drawn to watching his show. Granted I've tried a few things and they didn't agree with my taste but I still go back for more

Giada.........I love watching her cook.....she has a lot of passion in her cooking.

Wolf Gang Puck...........I just love to sit back and watch him cook.

I really like the new show you guys mentioned............the one where the guys picks up a girl in the grocery store and fixes the meal in her home.

But when it comes to the great ones..........hands down Julia Child and Jacque Pippan (?spelling). I really loved it when they cooked together.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #64
Executive Chef

The most common aggravating problem that I have with the Food Network is not with the shows themselves, but this I blame the network istelf for.

And that is, they just keep on friggen repeating recent episodes of the cooking shows over, and over, and over, and over again!!! This is ridiculously annoying!! As if they've run out off new episodes.

This is the same stupid problem with the Disney Channel as well!! Constant repeats of episodes of their programs!!!

But the Food Network is supposed to be airing new shows during the summer. In fact, the one with Paula's sons airs tonight, I think.

~Corey123.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #65
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
And that is, they just keep on friggen repeating recent episodes of the cooking shows over, and over, and over, and over again!!! This is ridiculously annoying!! As if they've run out off new episodes.
~Corey123.
THis is how I get around that. I set my TIVO to only record those shows that are brand new episodes. This way I don't have to watch rerun after rerun unless I want to.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Amen, Breezy Cooking, you read my mind.

I enjoyed Paula when she first came on, because she looks like my sister, I suppose, but she gets so silly. I don't like Sandra Lee for several reasons, one of which is the fact she always has to match whatever decor her kitchen is at the time (a different one for each episode). Giada always has a group of (probably paid) friends to try out her stuff, although some of the food is good. I suppose I'm so tired of all of them that I don't see much good. Even the new shows just seem to get sillier instead of better. Julia, Jacque Pepin, I enjoyed for the information and they didn't feel the need to entertain.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #67
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to erinmself
I like Rachael Ray. It is easy to remember and follow most of her recipes and I think her little sayings/gestures are endearing

Erin
erinmself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #68
Senior Cook

i don't really have a favorite, but bobby flay seems to be the most versatile... from a backyard bbq to elegant upscale, he seems to be able to fit right in with what's appropriate.

what ever happened to nigella?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #69
Senior Cook

Alton is very informative which is great for people who are learning to cook, some may say he is abnoxious, but you remember what he taught you right? I had an algebra teacher that was CRAZY, but no matter how absurd her teaching methods were, nobody forgot them!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #70
Master Chef

Forgot about Alton Brown. If I had to vote for a favorite celebrity chef "newbie", he'd be it. He's funny, informative, & best of all - doesn't have an in-studio audience oohing & ahhing.

I particularly enjoyed 2 of his shows: First, the one dispelling cooking myths. Once & for all, he proved that it's perfectly okay to WASH MUSHROOMS instead of just wiping or brushing them. They do NOT absorb the water - which he proved scientifically via tests with before & after weight measurements. Second, the one he did on garlic, where he's teaching a vampire about it - that one was just plain entertaining all round.