"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Alton is not only a chef, he is the awardee of numerous James beard Awards. I love the guy, but don't think of him as a Chef per say, but more of a fundamental gastronome. I love the guy, and in my opinion, is the only thing on FN worth watching.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
For those of you who like Alton Brown, you might like to do a The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) search of "names" for him. You'll learn about his training and his interest in the "scientific" part of cooking. Pretty interesting reading.

And, yep, I like him, too. He's a fun guy. (Fungi...in his vernacular.)

Old 02-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #13
Sous Chef

My DH who is not a cook - but a bit of a brainiac - loves Alton Brown. He's interesting to me - like his personality - but I don't seem to bend towards the scientifics as much as he does. He has a brined turkey recipe that I have used for a few years now that is awesome!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #14
DC's Angel

I proudly make this post for all to see
My all time favorite chef is Katie E.

(okay, so a poet I ain't)
It's true anyway!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Most of you probably don't know him, unless you've ever seen Chef at Home or Chef at Large (or his old show, The Inn Chef), but my fav is Michael Smith. I just love the way that he can cook up a crazy *** meal because he's a fancy pants chef, but yet he really loves to keep it simple and just make things work together. His dishes are very much repeatable, but also delicious (at least the ones that I've made).

I also enjoy Giada (for more reasons than that she's just too hot for chefdom). She just really seems to love food and also likes to (usually) keep it simple. She just seems like she'd be fun to chill out in a kitchen with.

I'd like to take classes from those two, actually. If I could learn from anyone, I'd enjoy them the most, I think.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I had to choose high speed internet over cable TV so I don't have access to many cooking shows but my favorite from years ago when he first started on TV is Martin Yan. I was always impressed with the speed of his cleaver, I can hardly lift mine and when I did use it I cut the tip of my thumb off! It now is hanging on the wall as decoration.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Mine would be Jacques Pepin, Mark Bittman (and everyone he has on his show). Pepin's cooking is very easy and different. Yes, sometimes too different, but I like his style.
The absolute worst, and I mentioned this on another post, is any recepie from Americas Test Kitchen. I have tried a few recipies from the show, but the kicker was when I spent over $100 for the crab tower recipie and it tasted like....well you know. I wouldn't even give it to my dog.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Britain's Jaime Oliver aka the Naked Chef
Old 02-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmeow
I had to choose high speed internet over cable TV so I don't have access to many cooking shows but my favorite from years ago when he first started on TV is Martin Yan. I was always impressed with the speed of his cleaver, I can hardly lift mine and when I did use it I cut the tip of my thumb off! It now is hanging on the wall as decoration.
The tip of your thumb or the cleaver??
Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #20
Executive Chef

well, I've been to Flay's Batali's and Bourdain's restaurants...each quite different but all quite fine and worthy of repeat visits. Batali's was the most "original" at the time of visit. So as I'm east coast, I'll go with west coast for an experience and say Keller. I would enjoy such an experience.

No doubt there are many such fine chefs out there, some whose names will never be household items. I think I've met a few and certainly admired their work...one such in Wilmington DE at a place called 821. Stop in if you're in the area.