"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Who is your favorite chef?

If you could just pick 1 chef that totally inspires you and you think is one of the very best Chefs out there who would it be? Whether if it is from FoodTV, magazines, or from cookbooks doesn't matter. Here are some of my requirements at least im concerned:

Someone who lives / breaths their work(i think this a lot of times comes out when they speak or when you read a book they have written). I want a sense that they truely appreciate everything and never settle for less than perfection. I think some chef's pretend they do just for the money because i think it comes out in their writing /talking about the lack of passion. They not only want to emerese you in the food but they want to emerse you in a cultural aura and want to transfer some of that passion to you. If they write cookbooks this not only is about reading recipes its about how the emerse in in the culture/food.

Ok without further adu mine would defintily be Rick Bayless. First of all i love traditional mexican food and if you have ever read any of ricks books, seen him on foodtv, or seen his show on PBS (Mexican: one plate at a time) you will know that rick for traditional mexican food. He very much emerses you in the culture of mexico and the different regions (yucatan for example). He is also an excellent writer. He takes many trips to mexico because that is his passion. I first learned about rick on foodtv and from the first book i bought i was so impressed. His cookbooks are not so much recipe books as they are stories of culture and food in mexico.

Some horoable mentions are: David Adjey, Su-mei yu, and martin yan

Ncage

Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
hands down anthony bourdain. but in a close second i'd have to say thomas keller.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Out of the guys I've been exposed to and it hasn't been more than two months or so, I'd go with Mario Batali.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Ken Hom or Ainsley.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Head Chef

Marcella Hazan.Her cookbooks are great. I also like Ina Garten, but I don't think of her as a chef just a really good cook.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Sous Chef

ncage,

As I was reading your post and your description of the passionate chef, Rick Bayless immediately came to mind . . . and then you mentioned him. I have all of his cookbooks. I have so many favorites chefs. Even though I don't bake much I love the pastry chef Nick Malgieri. It's so much fun to catch him on a T.V. show. I could listen to him for hours . . . another interesting, talented and passionate chef.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I really like Tyler Florence and Lidia Bostianich. I judge a favorite chef by whether or not their food is easy to duplicate and if they're recipes I'd make over and over. These two fit that bill.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Cantu, Keller, O'Connell, Trotter, Escoffier, Brioza, Bourdain, Wylie Dufresne
Old 02-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
I don't watch much TV, but I always liked Alton Brown's take on things.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Wow some interesting responses here:

mad: i agree with you about AB. I think a lot of people like how he approaches food in a new way (scientific/nerdy).

I cooked from one of ricks books tonight...and mmm mmm mmmmmmmmm was it good. The flavor or roasted tomatoes and jalapenos then that are seared in a pan with onion that has been cooked with lard. Then add chicken broth to have one of the most wonderful tasting sauces out there. I put it on chicken fajitas. Im getting hungry again :).