Who loves their job/career?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calya

Senior Cook
I work in a restaurant and I like it a lot. Some days I don't like it so much, but when I think about it, there isn't anything else I would rather do. How do you feel about your job? Do you love it or would you rather be doing something else.

i adore my job; though it's very demanding, i'm doing meaningful and rewarding work. i'm a veterinarian for research animals, which means i help scientists design their studies, train scientists & our care staff how to work with animals, and of course, take care of the guys who need medical attention. it's a strange little niche of the veterinary field, and it sometimes takes a lot to explain to people what i do (still not entirely sure my mom gets me), but i totally love it.

I would rather be lounging on a beach with a drink in my hand, but if I have to work them my job is really not bad. I absolutely love the company I work for. The industry I am in so very exciting and cutting edge. We are headquartered out of Israel so it has also been very cool meeting and working with people from a different country.

I work in a restaurant and I like it a lot. Some days I don't like it so much, but when I think about it, there isn't anything else I would rather do. How do you feel about your job? Do you love it or would you rather be doing something else.

The last job that I had before the one I got now, was in a cafeteria.

And I did not like it at all. In fact, I truly HATED it!! They made me work way too hard! I strongly believe that their working me to the bone had contributed to me getting heart failure.

I did not like the manager at all, nor did I like his assistant and there were too many supervisors there.

I was supposed to have gotten a job as a cook after finishing a course in culinary arts. Instead, I ended up with a very demeaning disrespectful job - washing dishes!!! How sad it that?!

They only give full-time workers one break - lunch, and no other break in a 10-hour shift, and part-time workers get no break at all!! I did not like that at all! In a nustshell, it STUNK!:mad:

I LIKe my tutoring job working with children though. No stress or strain at all!
And the kids LOVE me for being in their lives helping them to read!!:)

Last edited:
Mine is running the family biz. It's a love/hate thing. Is it like being a pilot or doctor? No. But it pays the bills and I'm living pretty good.
People always ask why I don't become a chef or do something with my woodworking skills, etc. Because I like being able to NOT cook or pick up a chisel. If I had to do those things day in and day out, I would loose my personal interest in them.

People always ask why I don't become a chef or do something with my woodworking skills, etc. Because I like being able to NOT cook or pick up a chisel. If I had to do those things day in and day out, I would loose my personal interest in them.

Jeekinz, i'm 100% right there with you. i cook, i sing, i paint, i teach - and all of these things quite well. and if someone told me i HAD to do them daily to pay the bills, i'd loose my passion for the artistic side of it, and it wouldn't be fun at all anymore. there's a trick to finding something you enjoy doing on an everyday basis, and still having some "extracurricular" passions that you keep for yourself.

Jeekinz, i'm 100% right there with you. i cook, i sing, i paint, i teach - and all of these things quite well. and if someone told me i HAD to do them daily to pay the bills, i'd loose my passion for the artistic side of it, and it wouldn't be fun at all anymore. there's a trick to finding something you enjoy doing on an everyday basis, and still having some "extracurricular" passions that you keep for yourself.

I don't mind the job either because it supports my hobbies.

I work with kids (pre-school & high school). I generally love even though it exhausts me and I'm sitting looking at a pile of work, I should be doing. I do cookery lessons with the high schoolers as a volunteer and I generally love it (not all the kids though) and hope I am equipping to survive life alone a bit better when they get there. One parent told me other day that her daughter recreated our meal from the week before at home, with no assistance - success.

I hear you on loosing passion for something you love by HAVING to do it....

I loved Architecture I read about it went to museum shows sketched etc ect my entire life through school.....now... I dont really care... not that I am not interested but It is the last thing I want to think about when I leave work....
I like to cook because it is immediate and creative and instant gratification. I like to garden because it is outdoors and connected to the earth and I like to work on my renovation(sometimes) because it is hands on and mine.

My job right now is crud.... it is a pretty new job and not a good fit at all. It is the Opposite of what I wanted in a job and the opposite of what I was assured it would be. BAD CHOICE. I do not enjoy being deskbound all day every day. I will need to extracate myself from here ASAP. I was hasty becuase I needed to relocate and it seemed like a great opportunity and an upgrade... boy was I wrong. I am not sure how I could have known. I asked all the questions did all the research had no way of knowing what it would be like. The office is lovely they pay is OK and there are tons of cool people but the leadership are .... well this is a family forum so I will hold my tounge

The problem with doing something you love for money is very often you have to make compromises because you are not doing it for yourself you are doing it for someone else. I think those compromises are harder when you actually care.

Last edited:
Which one?
I stay at home w/ my kids weekdays.
Weekends I'm the baker at a Bagel shop.... includes muffins also.
When I'm home, I want to just be left alone to cook all day. I think I would LOVE to be a chef.
But, as Jeekins said, I think I would lose the love. It's best as a hobby for me for now, I have more important things to take care of.
When I'm at work, I feel like I am neglecting my family, and losing alot of weekend playtime with them.... but I am very happy to be "cooking" and getting paid for it. Sure, I'm just making dough, forming bagels and baking them, but it's as close to cooking professionally as I'm going to get for now, and I think it's as close as I want to be.

I don't have a job per se but I do take photographs for sale and stock. When I lived in NJ, I had a photography studio, which I was more or less coreced into by my husband, who wanted me to make money with photography and I ended up not liking photography anymore. I disliked doing weddings and having to do portraits. I am more into animals, birds , nature, scenics, which I do now for the love of it. If I sell a photo thru my gallery or thru the stock agency, great, if not , no great loss.
LadyCook

My current "job" is staying at home and caring for my first grandchild five days a week. You can certainly say I love my job!

When I had a paying job, I was a controller for various high tech companies around Eastern Massachusetts. There were some aspects of of the job I enjoyed a lot and some I found boring. I wouldn't say I loved it.

My current "job" is staying at home and caring for my first grandchild five days a week. You can certainly say I love my job!

When I had a paying job, I was a controller for various high tech companies around Eastern Massachusetts. There were some aspects of of the job I enjoyed a lot and some I found boring. I wouldn't say I loved it.

Andy, I wish my Dad would have loved his grandkid job as much as you do when he had it. He usually can't wait 'til they leave now (and they're not that bad!)..... part of why I quit my full time job.

Thank goodness the world has grandparents like you. :)

Suzie, before Steven came along, I was retired and doing whatever I wanted to do. So, one in a while, I miss the freedom to get up and go. Overall, I think this situation is better for both Steven and me.

My Dad was a teacher.... maybe he just kidded himself out..... :)

I love my job after 20 years. I am a special ed teacher. Love the kids but the adults can sometimes drive me nuts!

Back
Top Bottom