"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Who smokes cigars?

I just started this "hobby" about a month ago. They are great after a meal but ya got to learn about hand made cigars to appreciate them. Its like wine tasting till ya find the ones you like.Machine made cigars suck.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
About once or twice a year i have a smoke. Basically whenever I go home. Bermuda has an AWESOME selection of stoggies from all over the world. I would have to say that my favorite ones are the rum soaked sugar cane cigars. The are like a dessert.

When I was in England and Scotland, I learned the fine appreciation of why Scotch and Cigars are like peanut butter and jelly. A match made in heaven.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Head Chef

Dh bought some Romeo y Juliettas (think thats how its spelt) for him and a couple of friends when Riley was born in May. He said they were good ones but having never smoked them I'll have to reserve judgement!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I regret to say this is one of my vices. I love a good cigar.
My particular favourites are Hoyo de Monterrey - hand-made Cuban cigars,but since they may not be available to you up there, I'd go for cigars from the Dominican Republic. They're mild, handmade, light and reasonably priced.
Cigars from Central America (Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica) tend to be a little stronger than the Dominican varieties, and can vary in quality.
There are also some great cigar makers in the US - Ned Sherman in New York, for example, makes some excellent smokes.
I'd try Coronas to begin with, just straightforward handmade cigars, no flavoured ones till you get an idea of what your smoking.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I tried smoking my first cigar on my last birthday. I made the mistake of inhaling, and got sick and felt like I was going to throw up. Havn't touched one since.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

I live cigars, and used to smoke very regularly, but thank G-d for all the kids, I do not even have time to go to bathroom regularly anymore, there is definitely no time for cigars, once in a while i still try to snick one in, but not often enough. Also I like to smoke in company, but there is for sure no time for that. I love and prefer Cuban cigars, though they are not easy to come nowadays, andthe one that you may get your hands on are most likely (about 99%) are fake.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
I regret to say this is one of my vices. I love a good cigar.
My particular favourites are Hoyo de Monterrey - hand-made Cuban cigars,but since they may not be available to you up there, I'd go for cigars from the Dominican Republic. They're mild, handmade, light and reasonably priced.
Cigars from Central America (Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica) tend to be a little stronger than the Dominican varieties, and can vary in quality.
There are also some great cigar makers in the US - Ned Sherman in New York, for example, makes some excellent smokes.
I'd try Coronas to begin with, just straightforward handmade cigars, no flavoured ones till you get an idea of what your smoking.
I love cigars, and I agree with Clive about the cigars from the Dominican Republic. Really good stuff. One of my recommendations would be Avo Uvezian cigars. I like the XO Notturno series:

http://www.avo.com/homepage.htm

A couple of my other favorite brands are Punch and Padron Cigars:

http://www.cigarworld.com/brands/pun...unch_index.cfm

http://www.padron.com/
Old 07-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Avo and Padron! Mmm - NICE choices there!!