"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #91
Senior Cook

I've got all of my ideas figured out - tested an appy/side (whatever you want to call it) and made an error or two, so will try again. Have another side to test out, as well as the main. Dessert is still up for grabs, but I have an idea or two that are prime candidates.

I'm not going to be beating anyone, but my stuff's going to be good and likely healthy, if I stick to my guns.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #92
Master Chef

I have a few ideas, now I have to figure out what I'll do....

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #93
Head Chef

Good luck everyone. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #94
Master Chef

Practice run is tomorrow night. I'm just itchin' to get cookin'.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #95
Master Chef

I'm cooking my meal tonight. I will be taking the pictures and will start writing up everything that needs writing up. I've already compiled the expense list and the ingredient lists. Good luck to all contestants. Are you judges ready? Remember, everything is to be submited by March 3rd.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #96
Senior Cook

I hate to do this on the very first try but I'm bowing out. Between working, being in my last semester of law school, and training for a triathlon that's less than two weeks away, I just haven't had the time to devote to this challenge.

I'm sorry that I can't take part, but I've tried a few interesting things as a result and I'm glad that this challenge has managed to ignite a bit of my creativity.

I wish the remaining competitors luck and I look forward to the results!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #97
Master Chef

My entry into the Oats battle:

Golden Chef Dinner Five servings
Theme Ingredient - Oats

No-bake Ice Cream Cookies.

Ice Cream Balls
Scoop ½ inch balls of vanilla ice cream onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Place in the freezer to get hard and very cold.

Vanilla No-Bake Cookies
Ingredients:
1 c Sugar
3 Egg yolks; slightly beaten
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Butter
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/3 c Coconut
1 c Chopped pecans
Combine sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in the rolled oats, coconut and pecans.

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE OATMEAL COOKIES
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1 tbs. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups rolled oats
Combine the butter, cocoa, milk, sugar, vanilla and peanut butter into a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 1 minute. Add oats and mix well. Remove from heat.

Pork/Oat Soup
Ingredients:
1 quart water
3 tsp. “Better Than Boullion” brand chicken soup base
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1 turnip, diced
½ brick firm tofu
½ onion, cubed
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup frozen peas
4 tbs. steel-cut oats
¼ tsp. rubbed sage
1 cup diced pork
Place the water into a 2 quart pot over medium high heat. Peel and wash the carrot, then slice. Place in the pot. Add the diced turnip. Wash and slice the celery into 1/8 inch pieces and add to the pot. Add the chicken soup base and stir. Add the cubed onion, and the garlic, Drain and squeeze most of the moisture from the tofu, taking care not to break it. Cut into ¼ inch cubes and add to the pot. Add the stee-cut oats and sage; cover; and simmer for twenty minutes. Turn off the heat.
Saute’ the pork cubes until lightly browned. Remove from the heat and add to the pot. Cover and set aside.

Dressing
Ingredients:
½ cup wild rice
½ cup brown rice
½ cup steel-cut oats
¼ tsp. ground thyme
¼ tsp. rubbed sage
1/8 tsp. tumeric
½ tsp salt
½ tsp. coarse grind pepper
8 oz. Fresh cremini mushroom slices
½ onion, chopped
Combine ½ cup each, wild and brown rice, and steel-cut oats. In a pressure cooker, bring 2 cups water to a boil and add the rice/oats mixture. Add the ground thyme, sage, tumeric, onion, and salt. Bring again to a boil, cover, and cook according to pressure cooker directions for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and release the pressure according to pot directions.

Vegetable Garnish
Wash and peel 2 carrots. Cut into long, juliened matchsticks. Place in steamer. Cut red bell pepper into juliened strips and place in steamer as well. Steam for 10 minutes.

Cherry Sauce
Ingredients:
10 oz. Cherry pie filling
1/8 tsp. cinamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
3 tbs. rice-wine vinegar
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
Place the cherry pie filling into a blender and blend at high speed until silky smooth.
Add the cherries and all other ingredients into a sauce pan and heat until thickened into a heavy sauce. Remove from heat and cover.

Oat-Fried Zuchini
Ingredients:
2 zuchini
½ cup flour
½ cup rolled oats
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. granulated garlic
¼ tsp. granulated onion
1 large egg, beaten
Cooking Oil
Fill a 10-inch frying pan with oil, 1 inch deep. Place over medium heat.
Place the oats into a blender of food processor with the blade-chopper attachment. Process the oats into oat flour. In a wide bowl, add the oat flour to the all-purpose flour with salt, garlic, and onion. Beat the egg until frothy and add two tbs. of the flour. Beat again until well blended.
Slice the zuchini into 1/8-inch thick rounds. Dip in the egg-wash and dredge in the flour mixture. Place into the hot oil and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Pork Medallions with Brown & Wild Rice & Steel-Cut Oats Dressing
Ingredients:
4 three-inch diameter pork medallions cut from well-marbled pork loin chops
4 ice-cream scoops dressing
1 juliened carrot
½ juliened red-pepper
4 sprigs fresh-flat-leafed parsley or celery leaves
Salt
Pepper

Pork Medallions
Lightly season the pork medallions with salt and pepper. Place in the hot skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat. And cover.

Plating
With an ice cream scoop, place 2 tbs. of the rice mixture atop the pork medallions. Place juliened strips of carrot and red pepper artfully on top. Finally, top with flat-leafed parsley or celery leaves. Drizzle cherry sauce onto the plate as a dipping sauce.
Place Fried Zuchinni rounds accross the plate, taking care not to touch the cherry dipping sauce. Ladle soup into suitable bowls, taking care to highlight the soup with the bright colors of carrot and parsley.

Remove the hardened ice cream balls from the freezer and alternately pack the chocolate and vanilla no-bake cookie mixture around them, one flavor for each ice cream ball. Again place into the freezer until they are ready to be served.
After the main course is eaten, place the ice-cream bon-bons into a pretty bowl or stemware and serve.

Total Cost:
4 Pork Chops from a package of 6 at 1.99 per pound = $1.65
Rolled Oats = $4.00/30 servings. 3 cups = 6 servings, toatal cost = $0.80
Steel Cut Oats = 2.79 per 17 servings. Total = $0.49 for 3 servings
Carrots = $0.30 for 2 carrots
Celery = $0.15 for 2 stalks Celery
Onion = $0.50 1 sweet onion
Rice – $1.75 per package
IceCream = $4.25
Egg = 3 eggs - $0.43
Cocoa – ¼ cup = $1.00
Button Mushrooms – 12 oz. $2.29
Wild and white rice mix – $2.23
Canned Cherries = $2.69
1 brick firm Tofu = $2.29
1 turnip = $1.19
Total = $23.01

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	2540   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2541  

Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #98
Master Chef

More Pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2542   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2543  

Name:	DSCF0007.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2544  

Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #99
Master Chef

Critique:
The pork came out very tender and moist with the rice/mushroom pilaf adding the savory flavor needed. The addition of the lightly steamed carrot and red-bell pepper added a sweet contrast to the savory dressing. The mouth feel of the pilaf was light, but with a slight chewy texture from the steel-cut oats. It was similar to rice and vermicelli.

The Cherry sauce added another sweet/tart accent to this entre'. My son adored the cherry sauce. I didn't care for the clove flavor componant. Goes to show that every taste is different.

The soup was to die for. I am very proud of this mixture. The steel-cut oats, again gave the mouth feel of cooked pearl barley. The diced turnip and carrots added a mildly sweet flavor to the hearty broth. The broth itself benefited from the collagen and rich, pork flavor extracted from the pork bones. It had a velvety smooth mouth-feel along with a wonderful flavor.

The deep-fried zuchini came out very good, with the savory oat/flour coating contrasting the sweet zuchini. A dollop of ranch-flavored sour cream finished this side perfectly.

The bon bons, what can I say. They were definitely the star of the meal. Imagine if you will, the wonderfull flavor of chocolate/peanut butter/oat no-bake cookie wrapped around premium vanilla ice cream. And then, the vanilla no-bakes not only rewarded you with a no-bake vanilla cookie, but with the chewy texture added by the coconut flakes, egg yoks, and rolled oats, all combined with Mexican Vanilla and sugar.

My son acted as sous chef, helping me slice/dice and season the various dishes. Each recipe was my own creation.

Next contestant please.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #100
Head Chef

Good work Goodweed. Congrats to you and your son.