"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #111
Head Chef

I think the challenge would be more successful if the ingredient were more common.
To be blunt... I don't know nothing bout cooking no oats, LOL!

But if it were pasta or something that I have even a TINY bit of knowledge and experience with, I might participate.

Most of us here are just people who like to cook. Not chefs, not pro cooks, and not Iron Chefs with that innate creativity.

Great idea, but I think oats was a bit scary.... It would be for me!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #112
Executive Chef

I agree with Grilling Fool, and would also like to participate preferably with something other than oats....
my only problem is we leave for California in a couple of days and wont be back till next friday night. I will check in again when I return to see if this is still going on.

GW I do love the idea, and was excited when I read this thread today!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #113
Master Chef

GrillingFool and Deelady;

The ingredient can be anything so long as it is fairly inexpensive, and available to most people. Here are some ingredient examples:

Pasta
Dried Beans
Tomatoes
Onion
Zuchini
Apples
Canned Fruit (pick a type)
Pumpkin
Rice
Garlic
Chicken
Pork
Ground Beef
Bratwurst
Etc.

So, as one of the objections to the last competition was the ingredient - oats, let's maybe start this one by compiling a list of possible theme ingredients and then voting for the most popular one. And then, we have to pick a time to do this. Just remember, we are comming up on a couple of major food holidays, Thanksgiving (in the U.S.), and Christmas. So many of us may be hard pressed to take on this challenge in the next two months.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #114
Executive Chef

Or we can incorporate the set ingredient into one of our Holiday dinners dishes so it wont be as hard pressed since we will be cooking those days anyway as well we will have imediate feedback on the results from our dinner guests!

Just a thought....

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #115
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
Or we can incorporate the set ingredient into one of our Holiday dinners dishes so it wont be as hard pressed since we will be cooking those days anyway as well we will have imediate feedback on the results from our dinner guests!

Just a thought....
Brilliant! Which Holiday do we want to choose? I vote for Christmas as it will give us more time to prepare and get others to join in. Also, there is more flexibility available with a Christmas meal than with Thanksgiving. But then again, it might be fun to stray from our comfort zone in either meal. And we need ideas for the theme ingredient. I'm gonna say that I really don't want to mess with the turkey as everyone around here has certain expectations as to how it will be prepared and served.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #116
Executive Chef

Christmas sounds good to me!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #117
Head Chef

I followed the intial thread and was wondering what ever happened! I would be very interested in participating but the holidays won't work for me (we travel to see family and as a result do very little cooking). I would be happy to be a judge, though, and participate in the next one. Let me know what I can do!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #118
Executive Chef

well I'm flexable as to when this takes place so what ever the majority agrees on... I'm in!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #119
Master Chef

How about February. It's a month that has few special days in it. It's the heart of winter, and so is a good time to do something that brings the spirit up a bit. Plus, we're hopefully recovered financially from Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years by then. And come to think of it, March or April might even be better. I'm gonna suggest April.