Who Wants to be Discuss Cooking's Virtual Golden Chef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?

• As A Chef, No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As a Judge, No

• As a chef in the future, No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, count me in, I`m game for a giggle :ermm:

jkath said:
YT - anytime you have a photo, send it to one of us and we'll help you post it. You should still consider doing this! I'd like to see what rolled oats would do when coming from the UK.

that Kinda swung it for me, as I haven`t got a Clue what I`m doing with this pootah at the mo, so I`ll be gratefull of any help in that respect;)

I am curious though, does Every dish require the Oats?
the side dishes and such, I`m cool with that also if it does :cool:

and 25 dollars is What in UK money?

(I just Know I`m going to regret this) *Sigh*

Today, 12 pounds 70 pence I think YT....

doing some banking today...;)

jkath said:
I think that's why it's a challenge, mish:chef:

IMO, the 'challange' should be 'do-able', with an ingredient that is commonly used. :chef:

Oats are very doable Mish. They can be used in main dishes, desserts, all sorts of things. They are a very workable food item as they can be used in so many different things.

I`ve no problem with Oats anymore than I would with Rice or potatoes (although spuds don`t lend themselves towards dessert quite as easily) :)

I have to agree with Unt Dot's thoughts on the subject . I can't do it for several reasons, one of which is that I don't know how to send pictures, another is that I am the least competitive person you know, and I am just not that creative. Will look on with interest if it does get going.

Dude! neither am I competative or know how to do the pictures thingy, BUT...
1) it`s fun just to play the game win or lose
2) the staff here will help us out with the pictures stuff

I don`t care if I get laughed outa town, it will be Fun to play :)

I don't see this as being about the competition against others as much as challenging yourself to be the best you can be. I try to do this in my life as much as possible as it is. I'm constantly getting criticized for getting in over my head for doing things like signing up for triathlons beyond my ability, getting an education in a school full of people much smarter than me, or signing up for online cooking contests against professional chefs! I don't care about winning or being better than others. It's about doing the best I can and achieving more than I ever thought possible.

If I can't challenge myself to be better than what people expect of me, then I might as well give up now.

Wow! Suddenly this thing is comming to life. But I still don't see the poll showing who wants to try this challenge. Maybe all who have agreed to participate will vote. And mods, the poll used to show who answered, at least on the first day the poll was up. Does it still do that? If so, then we would know who the contestants and judges are. If not, then please, everyone who wants to participate, as a judge, or contestant, please give a simple post with how you want to participate, as in either judge or contestant.

Examples: Goodweed of the North - Cooking Contestant

Googly Moogly - Judge

Miss Piggy - Judge

Sour Grapes - Cooking Contestant

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I mentioned the contest to Kim (DH) last night, and he said, "Go for it". Thing being, I'm just not too thrilled with the main ingredient.

Could I ask for more information as to what is involved in being a judge? Am I correct in assuming that we would prepare each recipe submitted? I think we would need a universal form to fill out, giving points to each area, such as appearance, taste, clarity of recipe, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, etc.

Another question, about the spending limit. Is that $25 per person?

The only problem I see with being a judge is that you'd have to imagine how the ingredients would taste together based on a written recipe and a photograph. Some of us may have such sophisticated palates that we could do such a thing. But I don't think I could do such a thing. I usually have an idea when I look at recipes, but the finished product is always different... because technique is part of the art of cooking.

I'm not poo-poo'ing the idea or anything. I just want to do the tasting in person. Bring all creations to Las Vegas and I'll be stoked to be a judge!

:chef:

Goodweed of the North said:
Wow! Suddenly this thing is comming to life. But I still don't see the poll showing who wants to try this challenge. Maybe all who have agreed to participate will vote. And mods, the poll used to show who answered, at least on the first day the poll was up. Does it still do that? If so, then we would know who the contestants and judges are. If not, then please, everyone who wants to participate, as a judge, or contestant, please give a simple post with how you want to participate, as in either judge or contestant.

Examples: Goodweed of the North - Cooking Contestant

Googly Moogly - Judge

Miss Piggy - Judge

Sour Grapes - Cooking Contestant

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Maybe you could reduce the poll to just a few questions such as;

I would like to participate as a chef
I would like to participate as a judge
I would like to participate in the future

Just a thought, because it really does not matter if people "do not" want to participate right?

The Z said:
The only problem I see with being a judge is that you'd have to imagine how the ingredients would taste together based on a written recipe and a photograph. Some of us may have such sophisticated palates that we could do such a thing. But I don't think I could do such a thing. I usually have an idea when I look at recipes, but the finished product is always different... because technique is part of the art of cooking.

That is where everyone's creative writing comes into play. That, and photos would do quite well, I think. Just so long as everyone signs the waiver that says that everything in the photo is indeed, edible food, and not Elmer's glue with red food coloring masquerading as pomegranate syrup.;)

Maybe I'd like to be a judge.

The Z said:

I'm not poo-poo'ing the idea or anything. I just want to do the tasting in person. Bring all creations to Las Vegas and I'll be stoked to be a judge!

:chef:

Note, too, that there is nothing re "taste" in the judging scheme from the first post in this thread. I think GW specifically chose the judging scheme to account for the fact that taste does not come into play.

Constance said:
I mentioned the contest to Kim (DH) last night, and he said, "Go for it". Thing being, I'm just not too thrilled with the main ingredient.

Could I ask for more information as to what is involved in being a judge? Am I correct in assuming that we would prepare each recipe submitted? I think we would need a universal form to fill out, giving points to each area, such as appearance, taste, clarity of recipe, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, etc.

Another question, about the spending limit. Is that $25 per person?

That is $25 per entry. And as for the points, please see the first post in this thread. It explains the point system used for this contest.

As a judge, you would be expected to cretique each criteria based on your own knowledge. Of course, taste, smell, and texture couldn't be judged unless you have that amazing knack of being able to put together items in your mind, based on past experience, and extrapolating from that experience to imagine what the item would taste like.

I am fortunate to be able to do that fairly well. But sometimes I find that I misjudged and have come up with something unexpected. That is why taste, texture, and aroma are not judged. It is up to the cook/chef who prepared the food to self-critique and learn from the experience.

The winner of the competition will be judged on the listed criteria.

I hope that answers your questions.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

P.S. For those who are worried that they can't come up with ideas for rolled or steel-cut oats, I'll give you some of the more common ideas already found in most house-holds:
No-bake cookies
Flavored oatmeal
Crisp toppings for things like apple crisp
Granola
Pancakes
Waffles
Coatings for fried foods (usually mixed with something else)
muffins
breads
soups

And those are just a few of the many available ideas.:chef: Now, I've probably already given away too many secrets so I'm going away now.

i sure hope sour grapes wins. his sarcasm is really funny, and doesn't always try to serve a pancake course with every meal, like that other contestant.
i heard the other guy tried to foam pancake batter. sheesh!

and i heard his crock pot chicken soup is thickened with carpet fibers...:chef:

buckytom said:
i sure hope sour grapes wins. his sarcasm is really funny, and doesn't always try to serve a pancake course with every meal, like that other contestant.
i heard the other guy tried to foam pancake batter. sheesh!

and i heard his crock pot chicken soup is thickened with carpet fibers...:chef:

BT's talkin' smack. I don't see his famous "dirty sock soup" in the running for any prizes. They tell me it smells like pop corn.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom