"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I *loved* this idea when I first saw it, especially since the ingredient was Rolled Oats - nothing fancy or expensive.

I thought it would catch the attention of others and I would have followed the responses with *great* interest.

I personally use oats in many forms in my cooking but could never meet the requirements for this contest
Quote:
Cooks:
Are required to present at least 1 main dish, with 2 sides and a desert.
Will use theme ingrediant to the best of their ability
Will limit themselves to $25.00 U.S. for the purchase of ingrediants
Maximum cooking time = 2 hrs.
I think this is a *great* idea and hope you all can drum up more interest and participation.

Perhaps you would get greater participation if you allowed the contestants to chose between main dish, sides and deserts and submit their recipe for a particular category. You could then pick the winner(s) within each category, with a special mention for the contestant who was skillfull enough to submit a winning entry in all categories.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

I would like to participate as a contestant. And believe me, I haven't really used rolled oats all that much. But then again, that's why I chose it as an ingrediant. I'd like to challenge myslef to come up with some really good things with such a ho-hum ingredient. And I think I can do it.

What I want to know is, if I'm not a judge, is it right for me to be a contestant? If so, then I'm in.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Master Chef

How about a maybe? If I can get my husband interested, I think it would be a fun thing to do some time in the future. (He and I work as a team.)
Thing being, I've got this retirement party looking at me February 10, and by the time that's over with, I'm going to be worn out.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Constance, you have nearly a month afterwards to get your submissions in! I say go for it!

To clarify the ingredient - are we limited to rolled oats or oats in general (eg. steel cut)?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef

I'm in if there's someone who is going to give me a challenge, or even if it isn't because it's all in fun. But, I'm not wasting my time if the people judging aren't going to know what the **** I'm making anyway either.

Yes, I know I'm being harsh, and somewhat of an ***, but I'm a little peeved that a forum that is supposed to filled with those who perpetuate the love for cooking, in actuality has very little members that do so.
Ironchef, I would certainly be one of those who would make an unsatisfactory judge from your perspective because I probably would not "know what the **** I'm [you're] making anyway."

As for the second paragraph quoted above, if I do not live up to your idea of the type of people with which this forum should be filled, I trust you will not allow that to diminish your enjoyment. I assure you that I will try not to let it affect mine. I might even decide to make a submission although my food would be very plain compared to yours.

I am being a bit harsh as well but I suspect there will be quite a few members and visitors that will be less discouraged to see that your views are not unanimous within the community. It is certainly possible to love food and cooking and use this forum to enhance one's knowledge and skills without living up to the expectations you seem to be hinting at.

Good luck to all in the contest.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Constance, you have nearly a month afterwards to get your submissions in! I say go for it!

To clarify the ingredient - are we limited to rolled oats or oats in general (eg. steel cut)?
I believe Oats in General would be acceptable.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
Master Chef

Let me do a bit of translating here. After reading the many posts and sometimes seeing ruffled feathers, it is my position that this is what is being said by IC. He is frustrated that so few are jumping at the chance to participate. That is all.

From one view, I understand as I am passionate about cooking and would love to see a host of people accept the challenge. This isn't a contest where anybody loses. It's one that challenges everyone to try to increase thier cooking skills, and gives us a benchmark with which to gauge those skills. I want to participate, to find out where my strengths and weakneses lie. And should I do well, that will be something to crow about. And I like crowing.

On the other hand, there are a good many people on this site who just want to learn to cook, or to find out what knife is best for a certain chore, or how to use their new SS cookware without food sticking to it like glue.

There are also people who are here to enjoy the comraderie, or who just need a recipe for KFC-style fried chicken.

To be sure, we wear many hats around here, and have skills from just barely knowing how to boil and egg, to preparing 4-star quality preperations, and everything in between.

So whether you want to participate in this contest, or judge, or just watch, or even, you don't want anything to do with it, it's all good. This is a great site full of great people. To be sure, I believe IC will blow me out of the water with his experience. But then again, I'm a very creative and inventive person. And I understand the physics, the science, and the artistry of cooking. I have some tools, and can improvise if I don't have exactly the tools I need. So I might just have some suprizes for anyone who competes against me. I'm not a 4-star chef. But then again, do I really need to be? I'm not aplying for a job here, just trying to have a bit of fun by challenging myself.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`d love to have a go (I`m always game for a laugh) but I haven`t Quite worked out how to post pictures and stuff and my write-ups are lousy at the best of times.
though I could probably be a reasonably average contender in real-time, I lack the skills to present it here in any acceptable way, also I`m only a cook not a chef and I`m in the UK too.

I think I`ll sit this one out and watch :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #19
Hospitality Queen

Beautifully said, Goodweed!

YT - anytime you have a photo, send it to one of us and we'll help you post it. You should still consider doing this! I'd like to see what rolled oats would do when coming from the UK.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish

GW, again I love your concept/idea, but a thought, perhaps, oats as a main ingredient is a toughy. How about, go with a more widely used ingredient.
I think that's why it's a challenge, mish