Who Wants to be Discuss Cooking's Virtual Golden Chef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?

• As A Chef, No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As a Judge, No

• As a chef in the future, No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Hella"? ****, even the canadians are saying it.

I did say the Main Ingrediant should be included in the cost, regardless of how cheap it is. If it were to be a more expensive item, say, Genoa Salame, @ 10.99 a pound (+/-), there should be some sort of exclusion rule. Also, the main ingrediant should be of some substantial value, monitarily. Personally, using something that is $1/Lb. and can go a very long way is a little weird. at least in the "Iron Chef" comps there is a decent main ingrediant that you can make more than four different ways.

I digress. Is there a way to sub grits for rolled oats?

EDIT: On the iron chef there, technically, is no limit as far as cost. These guys/gals, go there and make whatever they feel like making and have a just over reasonable amount of whatever food they need.

I really think that people are being very close-minded about this main ingredient. I believe that GWotN chose it for a few specific reasons:

1. It's inexpensive: this is making this competition accessible to everyone on the forum, not just those with cash to spare (eg. not me).

2. It's versatile: it can be prepared in about 10 different ways that I can think of offhand, only one of which is the aforementioned protein oatmeal (that I will NOT be using as part of this competition :LOL: ).

3. It's challenging: making interesting dishes out of a rather bland ingredient allows you to use your creative cooking spirit to do something outside the box and outside your normal repertoire of dishes. It's not like the ONLY ingredient in a dish is allowed to be oats.

Have some fun.

Silver said:
Keep in mind that, even in Canada, we can buy rolled oats in the bulk section of the grocery store for something like $1/lb. Trust me, 1 pound of oats goes a long way.

I believe the the freebie rule IS in play. Normal pantry/on hand ingredients are available. For example, I always have oats on hand (oatmeal + chocolate protein powder + natural peanut butter with some ground flax seed is a hella awesome breakfast). I also always have some fruit on hand, such as bananas, apples/pears, frozen fruit at all times (post-workout smoothies!), yogurt, frozen chicken breasts and salmon fillets, etc etc. Things that I don't always have on hand are things like heavy cream...just not found in my fridge, so the $1.50 I'd have to spend on heavy cream were I making a dish with it goes into the budget.

At least that's my understanding from the reading of the rules. GW, correct me if I'm wrong.
Silver, you are absolutely correct. in both your postings. You absolutely read my mind.:) I wanted to challenge everyone with an ingredient that is readily available throughout the world as we have people from all over the world. It had to be inexpensive enough that anyone who wanted to could participate, and it needed to challenge everyone to eb creative. You nailed it. Great job.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Clutch said:
"Hella"? ****, even the canadians are saying it.

I did say the Main Ingrediant should be included in the cost, regardless of how cheap it is. If it were to be a more expensive item, say, Genoa Salame, @ 10.99 a pound (+/-), there should be some sort of exclusion rule. Also, the main ingrediant should be of some substantial value, monitarily. Personally, using something that is $1/Lb. and can go a very long way is a little weird. at least in the "Iron Chef" comps there is a decent main ingrediant that you can make more than four different ways.

I digress. Is there a way to sub grits for rolled oats?

EDIT: On the iron chef there, technically, is no limit as far as cost. These guys/gals, go there and make whatever they feel like making and have a just over reasonable amount of whatever food they need.

I beg to differ. I once say an Iron Chef America episode where the theme ingredient was frozen peas. I was astounded by the way the humble frozen pea was used to make truly gourmet servings.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't know...I was thinking about this while I was cooking dinner tonight (which turned out to be a bit of a failed attempt at Steak au Poivre, but that's another story).

I find it a bit odd and a bit irritating that people are criticizing the contest and the ingredient choice. If you have constructive and helpful criticism, great, or even just ideas that might make the contest better, that's great.

I don't see much value in critiquing the ingredient choice and/or rules simply because you don't like them. It's possibly even a little bit insulting to those that have gone to the effort to help push the competition forward. I am also really starting to see IC's points that he made earlier.

In any event, this contest has potential to be a lot of fun, so let's just enjoy it.

rolled oats.
okay.
rolled oats...

I have to think about that... it's definetely a challenge... but hey.. the aim of a challenge is to solve/win it..
I must see, if I can manage my time for that...
do you have the rules in german? :mrgreen:

for how many people do you want to have the dishes? I can't remember a number... and I won't look again, I'll just go back to bed and try to get rid of this *aetzend* cold..

As an interested observer - I'm cheering you all on, the scots do some amazing things with oats....including one of my very, very favourite puddings.....

I think oats are a brilliant challenge, because I hope you guys come up with some wonderful ways for us all to eat well, on a budget at home!

No, for this one, I prefer to cheer you all on, maybe in the future though!

Goodweed of the North said:
Cooks:
Are required to present at least 1 main dish, with 2 sides and a desert.
Will use theme ingrediant to the best of their ability
Will limit themselves to $25.00 U.S. for the purchase of ingrediants
Maximum cooking time = 2 hrs.

Submissions:
Must be entered by March 3, 2007 and will include:
Pictures of each plated food, preferably from multiple angles
The work area
List of ingrediants for each item presented
Detailed cooking technique for each item presented
Description of flavor as best as you can.

okay.. for me stupid german please some explanations:
main dish and the sides all with rolled oats? Or for the sides just something that gets along well with the main with oats?
$25 are about 20€.. that is okay
max cooking time: someone asked about marinating before.. but what if I prepare something with a yeast batter (?). It needs its rest for at least 45min...
date and pictures are okay...
but what do you mean by the work area? Wanna see my kitchen?
14.gif

I'll hope I can give the descriptions and technoques in an understandable way.... :rolleyes:

If this comes to be too hard for my language skills, I'll retire..... :huh:

Goodweed of the North said:
I beg to differ. I once say an Iron Chef America episode where the theme ingredient was frozen peas. I was astounded by the way the humble frozen pea was used to make truly gourmet servings.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I could do about 50 times more stuff with frozen peas that rolled oats. There are only three things I found you can do with them. Breakfast (not too shabby with the right seasonings), Baths (they cure the heck out of the chicken pox itchies!) and as a coating or breading on something.

Would you like the run down for the frozen peas? First cook (DUH!) than add to pasta, chicken and yellow rice, soup, mashed, mix in with grits, mix with other veggies, make a stew, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Like I said, I'll wait to see what the next main ingrediant is and if it's a good one, I'll prolly participate. You should start a thread to get suggestions on the next main ingrediant. Just my .02¢

Gee, Clutch, there is a lot more to do with oats than that, I dropped a hint before and can think of other things too, as I bet can google! I think this one is good, if I were up for the competition I would be really pleased to have oats :)

lulu said:
Gee, Clutch, there is a lot more to do with oats than that, I dropped a hint before and can think of other things too, as I bet can google! I think this one is good, if I were up for the competition I would be really pleased to have oats :)

Believe me, I have quite a few things running thru my head as ideas, But I just got too much other stuff to work on just yet. If I could sub grits, I'd be in even better shape, but either way, I have to concentrate on my Valentines dinner first. I'm gonna have to stand by and watch cause I really don't like oats/oatmeal too much and don't have enough experiance making things with them.

P.S. I got a quick question for ya. PM sent.

Clutch said:
Believe me, I have quite a few things running thru my head as ideas, But I just got too much other stuff to work on just yet. If I could sub grits, I'd be in even better shape, but either way, I have to concentrate on my Valentines dinner first. I'm gonna have to stand by and watch cause I really don't like oats/oatmeal too much and don't have enough experiance making things with them.

P.S. I got a quick question for ya. PM sent.

Spectating is a perfectly respectable way to participate. I have no issues with it. My downfall would be if the main ingredient was mint. I detest all mints, with the exception of basil. And I like the idea of people giving ideas for theme ingredients. In fact, I asked if anyone would. Not on person responded. That's when I picked up the torch and decided I'd choose an ingredient that would test everyone's creativity. Nuff said.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

cara said:
okay.. for me stupid german please some explanations:
main dish and the sides all with rolled oats? Or for the sides just something that gets along well with the main with oats?
$25 are about 20€.. that is okay
max cooking time: someone asked about marinating before.. but what if I prepare something with a yeast batter (?). It needs its rest for at least 45min...
date and pictures are okay...
but what do you mean by the work area? Wanna see my kitchen?
14.gif

I'll hope I can give the descriptions and technoques in an understandable way.... :rolleyes:

If this comes to be too hard for my language skills, I'll retire..... :huh:

Stupid German?:ohmy: . I have yet to meat a stupid German.
With two hours of cooking time, the 45 minutes rest time would still give you an hour or so of cooking time. Organization of what to cook when is the key to making this work. Just put together your yeast batter first, and prepare other things while it's rising/resting.

And yes, all dishes should involve oats in some respect.
Just show the layout of your work area as it will give the judges some idea of your organizational skills. You don't have to show them the dust-bunnies under the refridgerator.

I know you will do just fine with your descriptions.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It's really not that hard. I can think of these ideas off the top of my head:

Pumpkin and Oatmeal Gnocchi
Ricotta and Oatmeal Gnocchi
Oatmeal and Apricot Crusted Lamb Chops
Oatmeal and Parmesan Crusted <insert fish of choice here>
Oatmeal Blini with Braised Pork Belly
Crispy Bocconcino - Mozzarella breaded in Oatmeal Breadcrumbs
Oatmeal and Horseradish Crusted Salmon
<insert salad here> with Oatmeal Croutons
Oatmeal and Cepe Crusted Pork Chops
Roasted Pork Loin with Stuffed with Oatmeal, Dried Fruit, and Proscuitto