"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #41
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
hmmmm you can only choose one to vote for... I don't have time now to participate, altho I might very well like to do so in the future, but there's no slot for that, and... I might want at different times to be both contestant and judge.... but you can only check one.

so I checked none...

Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
hmmmm you can only choose one to vote for... I don't have time now to participate, altho I might very well like to do so in the future, but there's no slot for that, and... I might want at different times to be both contestant and judge.... but you can only check one.

so I checked none...
I don't know how to set up the poll as well as others. but we'll get it down. And it's ok. There will be more of these contests.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #43
Head Chef

Two more questions

Would you be allowed to presoak groats or steel cut oats before the beginning of the two hour limit? I assume the answer to that would also apply to beans. What about marinades?
Under Judges in the first post of this thread, what does "organization of ingredients list" mean?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Would you be allowed to presoak groats or steel cut oats before the beginning of the two hour limit? I assume the answer to that would also apply to beans. What about marinades?
Under Judges in the first post of this thread, what does "organization of ingredients list" mean?
Since beans, steel-cut oats, and such would require an absurd amount of cooking time, I would say that pre-soaking would be ok.

Organization of ingredients is just that. When I'm working on an phone installation, I create a document of required parts, methods, vendors, supplies, and any documentation that I might need to put the sytem together and make it work. Escpecially important is a list of users, their location, phone type, and the features they expect to use. This allows me to work in an organized manner.

Proper organization of ingredients will facilitate ease of navigation between the various courses, and allow the cook to access needed information pertaining to the coarse being prepared. What I think the judges would look for is an intelligent layout of ingredients, technique, etc.

Oh, and beans will cook from dry to soft in about 80 minutes, leaving an additional 40 minutes for any flavorings to infuse the beans.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-02-2007, 11:40 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I don't know how to set up the poll as well as others. but we'll get it down. And it's ok. There will be more of these contests.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed fo the North
I made a suggestion previously in this thread
Old 02-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I made a suggestion previously in this thread
Yep, ya did, a a good suggestion it was. But I don't know how to go in after the poll is already in place and remove the extra baggage, as it were. If you know how, then by all means, remove the "I won't do it" choices.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 02-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed
Oh, and beans will cook from dry to soft in about 80 minutes, leaving an additional 40 minutes for any flavorings to infuse the beans.
Reading my original question I see that it might seem I was asking about marinating beans and your reply above would be a very polite and diplomatic answer to that question. Actually thinking about overnight soaks for grains and legumes made me wonder if overnight marinades for meats would be allowed. Sorry for the extremely poor wording.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:46 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North

Proper organization of ingredients will facilitate ease of navigation between the various courses, and allow the cook to access needed information pertaining to the coarse being prepared. What I think the judges would look for is an intelligent layout of ingredients, technique, etc.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.
When explained like that, I'm not a big fan of this particular judging category as it assumes that the cook is a "method" cook (is that a term?) as opposed to a "feel" cook, unless of course you're speaking of the way a kitchen is laid out.

It just seems like something that can skew the judging in what I consider to be an irrelevant way. On that note, however, I'm willing to accede to your methods as...well...it's your contest and therefore your ideas.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #49
Master Chef

SkilletLicker & Silver; It's my contest this time. I'm just trying to set up some ground rules based on my own ideas, and ideas from others who have commented. It seemed that we needed a moderator and no one else took the job. I hope that in the future, other people will step up with possible theme ingredients and help fine tune the rules for both judges and cooks.

I too tend to cook by "feel", rather than by using a recipe. But if I put down that I made baked beans and poured in maple syrup until it looked right, or made bread dough by putting just enough yeast in to make the bread dough rise, then the judges would have no quantitative references.
I learned while writing my cookbooks that a cook has to be able to list, and quantify ingredients in order to pass along knowledge in the written word.

It's true that one can show another person how to make bread dough by letting them watch and participate in the process, without ever using a recipe. That's how I taught my daughter to make soups, cookies, bread, etc. But with the written word, it's very difficult to describe the perfect feel of raw pie dough, or the smell of oregano. So, technique and quantities are what you teach. Then you invite the reader to experiment and to smell the oregano before adding it to a sauce.

Again, I'm all ears (actually all eyes) and would love to see comments on how to improve this contest. And when this first one is over, I hope others step up to the plate with me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #50
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I see GW is our "chairman" . . . lol . . . . are you as nimble?

I said I'm game as a judge for future events, but I'd also be game to (co)being the "chairman" as well. They have the chairman; we have the Big Dog. LOL!

Is there any consideration for those that aren't quite as skilled/well versed as others in the kitchen? What I mean is a chef like IC and others here versus "the commoners" is like a pro sports team competing against a youth/church sports team.

I'll 'fess up now that I haven't read this entire topic, so sorry iuf I am rehashing covered territory.