"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I see GW is our "chairman" . . . lol . . . . are you as nimble?

I said I'm game as a judge for future events, but I'd also be game to (co)being the "chairman" as well. They have the chairman; we have the Big Dog. LOL!

Is there any consideration for those that aren't quite as skilled/well versed as others in the kitchen? What I mean is a chef like IC and others here versus "the commoners" is like a pro sports team competing against a youth/church sports team.

I'll 'fess up now that I haven't read this entire topic, so sorry iuf I am rehashing covered territory.
I'd love to have you along in any capacity. And don't worry about not being as skilled a IC. It's obvious that most of us don't have his level of experience or training. But that's Ok. The judges will understand as they are in the same boat. But I caution the judges here as well. Just because IC is obviously better trained, that doesn't mean that he should be handicapped in any way. All entre's should be judged on there own merit. And I think that one of the reasons we are doing this is to learn from each other, and from our own experiences. And I think that IC can inspire me to become better with my presentations. In fact, he already has. I looked at some of his pictures just last night to teach me some presentation skills. And I used the information to create last night's dinner. It still wasn't as pretty as his, but it was definitely a step in the right direction, and tasted wonderful.

Maybe we should have multiple categories for differing levels of expertise. But remember, a good bowl of chili can look every bit as good as duck confit with fresh rosemay piled into a perfect little circle with sauce drizzled onto the plate. My adivise, cook what you know and learn to present it artfully. But try to challenge yourself to go beyond what you usually do.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
SkilletLicker & Silver; It's my contest this time. I'm just trying to set up some ground rules based on my own ideas, and ideas from others who have commented. It seemed that we needed a moderator and no one else took the job. I hope that in the future, other people will step up with possible theme ingredients and help fine tune the rules for both judges and cooks.
Goodweed, I appreciate your original idea and your sacrifice in taking on the moderation of the contest. If you sensed any suggestion of criticism or sarcasm toward anything you've said, I assure you that none was intended. Thank you for clarifying that overnight soaks of grains or legumes are allowed. The follow-up question regarding allowing meats to soak overnight in a marinade or covered with a dry rub was not answered clearly enough for my modest mind to grasp. Would you mind clarifying the point? Of course, for my part at least, your decision will be acceded to without argument.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Goodweed, I appreciate your original idea and your sacrifice in taking on the moderation of the contest. If you sensed any suggestion of criticism or sarcasm toward anything you've said, I assure you that none was intended. Thank you for clarifying that overnight soaks of grains or legumes are allowed. The follow-up question regarding allowing meats to soak overnight in a marinade or covered with a dry rub was not answered clearly enough for my modest mind to grasp. Would you mind clarifying the point? Of course, for my part at least, your decision will be acceded to without argument.
Acidic marinades really don't do anything after about 30 minutes anyway. If you search back far enough, there was quite a thread about marinades and how they create a barrier to liquid penetration by the outer protien layer tightening up in reaction to the acids in marinades. So I don't believe that marinades should be done overnight. On the other hand, brines will continually enter the meat or veggie until an equalibrium is reached between the brine solution and the meat. So I think brines should be allowed. Although, the same thing can be accomplished by pressure cooking and it takes a much shorter time.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #54
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
My adivice, cook what you know and learn to present it artfully. But try to challenge yourself to go beyond what you usually do.

So well said!
I agree with you, GW - having IC around here will probably get folks to really push themselves further than they thought possible. Thanks, IC wherever you are!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #55
Master Chef

Allright boys and girls. I'm trying out new recipes and techniques in preperation for the Golden Chef Competition. I'll be working with one of my sons. Be ready. Oh, and it's truly amazing what you can make with oats, when you think about it just a bit.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
Well I AM interested in competing, more to challeneg myself than anything else, but I guarantee that if I participate in Battle: Rolled Oats, you'll just be getting 4 variations of oatmeal, and I don't anyone really wants that. I'd definitely like to participate in the future though, and I am pretty curious to see what comes out of Battle: Rolled Oats.
+1

We got another main ingrediant somewhere? Should I read the rest of the pages of this thread? I'm sure if the budget was upped to 50 beans and the rolled oats was changed to something else, I could come up with something nice.

Key word, nice. Like many others I am not a pro. If I was, I'd have either my own resturant, TV show or combination of the two. LOL!!

Oh, also, can we have a freebie rule added as well? "Fold" in some Monster Garage to this chef challenge.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
+1

We got another main ingrediant somewhere? Should I read the rest of the pages of this thread? I'm sure if the budget was upped to 50 beans and the rolled oats was changed to something else, I could come up with something nice.

Key word, nice. Like many others I am not a pro. If I was, I'd have either my own resturant, TV show or combination of the two. LOL!!

Oh, also, can we have a freebie rule added as well? "Fold" in some Monster Garage to this chef challenge.
Explain "freebie rule" young man. And you would absolutely be amazed at what you can make with oatmeal. Why, if you make it thick enough, you could sculpt it into a Porsche Turbo Carrera GT, or a suprisingly grainy elephant. Plant the feet of the guy who didn't pay you back last week into a bucket of the stuff and threaten to make him swim in "oatmeal shoes", gasp! Make it into a sculpture of Marylin Monroe and paint it with food coloring. Or, pour a baot-load of the rolled oats into a tub, lay yourself face down in it to create an imprint, then carefully remove yourself so as not to disturn the imprint, let it dry and pour jello in it. Voila! You have a perfect semblance of yourself, made entirely out of jello. You can even make oatmeal cookies with the stuff. Boy do I wish I could laugh like Daffy Duck right now.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook
Can I just be a spectator? As you all can see, I'm not a really great cook LOL!
Hugs,
Pook
Neither am I, but what have I got to lose?

Also, Clutch, the key is the challenge...both budget and ingredient. That's part of the fun!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Freebie rule - anything you would NORMALLY have on hand in the fridge, freezer, pantry or cabinets. I would say the main ingrediant would be a must buy (25 starting - rolled oats = what you can spend on the rest) than things like, say, an apple or up to (weight can be limited) a pound of ground beef or milk (which could be a large drain on the budget is some cases).

I have a few ideas, but seeing as I just spent about $325 on groceries in the last 4 days, 55 on a sushi/sashimi knife set and am about to spend another 150-250 this coming up weekend on a Valentines Day weekend with my GF, I think buying rolled oats (even if I wanted them) would be out of the question. LOL!

Maybe next time if the circumstances are right. *coughbettermainingrediantcough*

BTW, My Porsche is the 911 Turbo. I'd rather build a real one than get paid to eat rolled oats.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #60
Senior Cook

Keep in mind that, even in Canada, we can buy rolled oats in the bulk section of the grocery store for something like $1/lb. Trust me, 1 pound of oats goes a long way.

I believe the the freebie rule IS in play. Normal pantry/on hand ingredients are available. For example, I always have oats on hand (oatmeal + chocolate protein powder + natural peanut butter with some ground flax seed is a hella awesome breakfast). I also always have some fruit on hand, such as bananas, apples/pears, frozen fruit at all times (post-workout smoothies!), yogurt, frozen chicken breasts and salmon fillets, etc etc. Things that I don't always have on hand are things like heavy cream...just not found in my fridge, so the $1.50 I'd have to spend on heavy cream were I making a dish with it goes into the budget.

At least that's my understanding from the reading of the rules. GW, correct me if I'm wrong.