"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #61
Senior Cook

"Hella"? ****, even the canadians are saying it.

I did say the Main Ingrediant should be included in the cost, regardless of how cheap it is. If it were to be a more expensive item, say, Genoa Salame, @ 10.99 a pound (+/-), there should be some sort of exclusion rule. Also, the main ingrediant should be of some substantial value, monitarily. Personally, using something that is $1/Lb. and can go a very long way is a little weird. at least in the "Iron Chef" comps there is a decent main ingrediant that you can make more than four different ways.

I digress. Is there a way to sub grits for rolled oats?

EDIT: On the iron chef there, technically, is no limit as far as cost. These guys/gals, go there and make whatever they feel like making and have a just over reasonable amount of whatever food they need.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #62
Senior Cook

I really think that people are being very close-minded about this main ingredient. I believe that GWotN chose it for a few specific reasons:

1. It's inexpensive: this is making this competition accessible to everyone on the forum, not just those with cash to spare (eg. not me).

2. It's versatile: it can be prepared in about 10 different ways that I can think of offhand, only one of which is the aforementioned protein oatmeal (that I will NOT be using as part of this competition ).

3. It's challenging: making interesting dishes out of a rather bland ingredient allows you to use your creative cooking spirit to do something outside the box and outside your normal repertoire of dishes. It's not like the ONLY ingredient in a dish is allowed to be oats.

Have some fun.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #63
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Keep in mind that, even in Canada, we can buy rolled oats in the bulk section of the grocery store for something like $1/lb. Trust me, 1 pound of oats goes a long way.

I believe the the freebie rule IS in play. Normal pantry/on hand ingredients are available. For example, I always have oats on hand (oatmeal + chocolate protein powder + natural peanut butter with some ground flax seed is a hella awesome breakfast). I also always have some fruit on hand, such as bananas, apples/pears, frozen fruit at all times (post-workout smoothies!), yogurt, frozen chicken breasts and salmon fillets, etc etc. Things that I don't always have on hand are things like heavy cream...just not found in my fridge, so the $1.50 I'd have to spend on heavy cream were I making a dish with it goes into the budget.

At least that's my understanding from the reading of the rules. GW, correct me if I'm wrong.
Silver, you are absolutely correct. in both your postings. You absolutely read my mind. I wanted to challenge everyone with an ingredient that is readily available throughout the world as we have people from all over the world. It had to be inexpensive enough that anyone who wanted to could participate, and it needed to challenge everyone to eb creative. You nailed it. Great job.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
"Hella"? ****, even the canadians are saying it.

I did say the Main Ingrediant should be included in the cost, regardless of how cheap it is. If it were to be a more expensive item, say, Genoa Salame, @ 10.99 a pound (+/-), there should be some sort of exclusion rule. Also, the main ingrediant should be of some substantial value, monitarily. Personally, using something that is $1/Lb. and can go a very long way is a little weird. at least in the "Iron Chef" comps there is a decent main ingrediant that you can make more than four different ways.

I digress. Is there a way to sub grits for rolled oats?

EDIT: On the iron chef there, technically, is no limit as far as cost. These guys/gals, go there and make whatever they feel like making and have a just over reasonable amount of whatever food they need.
I beg to differ. I once say an Iron Chef America episode where the theme ingredient was frozen peas. I was astounded by the way the humble frozen pea was used to make truly gourmet servings.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #65
Senior Cook

I don't know...I was thinking about this while I was cooking dinner tonight (which turned out to be a bit of a failed attempt at Steak au Poivre, but that's another story).

I find it a bit odd and a bit irritating that people are criticizing the contest and the ingredient choice. If you have constructive and helpful criticism, great, or even just ideas that might make the contest better, that's great.

I don't see much value in critiquing the ingredient choice and/or rules simply because you don't like them. It's possibly even a little bit insulting to those that have gone to the effort to help push the competition forward. I am also really starting to see IC's points that he made earlier.

In any event, this contest has potential to be a lot of fun, so let's just enjoy it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:30 AM   #66
Master Chef

rolled oats.
okay.
rolled oats...

I have to think about that... it's definetely a challenge... but hey.. the aim of a challenge is to solve/win it..
I must see, if I can manage my time for that...
do you have the rules in german?

for how many people do you want to have the dishes? I can't remember a number... and I won't look again, I'll just go back to bed and try to get rid of this *aetzend* cold..
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:52 AM   #67
Head Chef

As an interested observer - I'm cheering you all on, the scots do some amazing things with oats....including one of my very, very favourite puddings.....

I think oats are a brilliant challenge, because I hope you guys come up with some wonderful ways for us all to eat well, on a budget at home!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 AM   #68
Master Chef

hey, lulu.. why not join and give us something special scots? ;)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 02-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #69
Head Chef

No, for this one, I prefer to cheer you all on, maybe in the future though!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #70
Master Chef

I think, I'll join...
I hope I'll find the time for it... *sigh*