"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Master Chef

Who Wants to be Discuss Cooking's Virtual Golden Chef?

We will call our contest winner the Virtual Golden Chef as Iron Chef is already a title owned by Food Network. But the concept is the same.

Here's how it works:
Those who answer the accompanying poll agree to participate as either a cooking contestant, or judge. February 15 will be the cutoff date for entering in either category.

Our first Theme ingrediant is (drum roll please) Rolled Oats!

Judges:
Will be responsible for critiqueing recipes, ingredients, technuque, use of the theme ingredient, and presentation of the cook's various presentations. Each dish must make use of the theme ingrediant.
Points will be totaled as follows:
10 points for presentation
10 points for best use of the theme ingredient
5 points for organization of ingredient list
10 points for technique description
10 points for creativity
10 points for originality
Total points available = 55.

Cooks:
Are required to present at least 1 main dish, with 2 sides and a desert.
Will use theme ingrediant to the best of their ability
Will limit themselves to $25.00 U.S. for the purchase of ingrediants
Maximum cooking time = 2 hrs.

Submissions:
Must be entered by March 3, 2007 and will include:
Pictures of each plated food, preferably from multiple angles
The work area
List of ingrediants for each item presented
Detailed cooking technique for each item presented
Description of flavor as best as you can.

The honor system will be used for this contest.

Ok, that's it. Thanks for participating and good luck.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I love it! Over forty views and only one response, and it's not even for a contestant.
GW starts two threads trying to stir up interest in cooking, something that has been serverly lacking lately, and everyone wants to be a spectator not a participator.

C'mon people, this is a COOKING site! People will discuss all day what makes or does not make a gourmand, what kind of electric vegetable peeler to buy, and movie lines, but when it comes a time to actually SHOW what you can do, show your love for cooking and creativity, show that you're not just watching the Food Network and then paraphrasing an idea from there, no one wants to step up to the plate?? Does no one have confidence in their ability??

I'm in if there's someone who is going to give me a challenge, or even if it isn't because it's all in fun. But, I'm not wasting my time if the people judging aren't going to know what the **** I'm making anyway either.

Yes, I know I'm being harsh, and somewhat of an ***, but I'm a little peeved that a forum that is supposed to filled with those who perpetuate the love for cooking, in actuality has very little members that do so.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Head Chef

Whoa, ironchef!

I don't know about everyone else, but my interest in cooking is the same as a fun hobby, that I dabble in, mostly on weekends. I am not a professional, I don't want to be a professional, don't know or care what a "gourmand" is, and sure as heck don't need to put any stress on my fun interest.

I am a competitive barbecuer, and have done well, even beating pros like you.

But I have zero interest in a virtual competition. Sorry that's not okay with you.

Lee
Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

IC I think you need to give everyone a little slack. Not everyones level of interest is the same as yours. Not everyone has time to do these things. Not everyone is creative. Not everyone likes to come up with recipes. Lots of people only know or want to know how to follow a recipe, not come up with their own.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
Head Chef

I am guessing the "metal"chef thing is a US cultural reference, I read Goodweed's post and gathered that, but otherwise I am in the dark! I think its a good idea, and will follow and applaud, but like QSis have no desire to be competitive, nor the audacity to pretend to have the skill to judge another's plate of food. I certainly do enjoy posting about cooking, and food, and eating: it's how I came here, I am sure we all got here that way! But I made friends and talk about other stuff too. Be grateful for gourmands and gourmets: they keep restaurants/food producers of all standards open and chefs employed, lol. I am sorry that the slowness to step forward frustrates you Ironchef, but I am sure some one will take the challenge though. Having read many of your posts they will be hard pushed to better a plate you put forward!

Goodweed, although I don't know the idea this is based on its seems like a good idea, thanks for thinking it out. I will watch the competition with interest.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Well I AM interested in competing, more to challeneg myself than anything else, but I guarantee that if I participate in Battle: Rolled Oats, you'll just be getting 4 variations of oatmeal, and I don't anyone really wants that. I'd definitely like to participate in the future though, and I am pretty curious to see what comes out of Battle: Rolled Oats.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

IC, I'm not a competitor, but even if I were, you seriously outrank me! I look to your recipes for the "wow" factor!

I'd like to see you be the overall judge, actually. Kind of like the Tom Colicchio of our group.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Sorry IC, have great respect for you but do not need to be chided because I choose not to play.

Right now between work and home have little time for anything, let alone trying to come up a recipe for an ingredient I almost never use.

And quite frankly an ingredient that does not tittilate my interest, at least at the moment.

I state that, but do not feel I had to.

This is a site where people are free to expostulate, express their opinions, and generally talk about cooking matters.

I prefer the cooking topics, but others may opt for the other forums.

Goodweed, God bless, always a great poster, is trying to get something going that could be quite interesting and fun. And it may be to the members, and then again, maybe not.

It could be that the concept, or the choice of food, needs a bit of refining, or maybe not.

Heck Goodweed, go for it.

This forum is about as democratic as anyone I have seen.

It is largely defined by its members desires, with a wee bit of prodding by the administrators and moderators.

But if folks just do not want to jump into a game, well, that is the way the it is.

Sorry. But it is great to have you here.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Shucks, being unemployed I've got time - hmmmmmmm, oatmeal? Okay.

Does that 25.00 count what we have in our pantries, freezers, etc. or must we limit ourselves to 25.00 worth of ingredients total??????
Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Now, I'm aware that I won't be competition for anyone (especially IC), I don't have fancy plates for fancy presentations and I sure as heck don't know what I'm doing, but I'm in it for the good times and the challenge. I personally want to challenge my creativity (or lack thereof).

I'm sure I'll come up with something, and at the very least, I'll have to eat it!