"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

you talkin' to me?

are you talkin' to me?

no sense of humor, thems fightin' words. put up yer dukes!!!

(actually the audience would win. alton could win on points being fast and wiry, but emeril could toss a coupla haymakers, smashing ol' alton in the mush. ahhh, the sweet science...)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Emerill would win both. Alton probably grew up attending private schools and played games like squash and croquette (I attended private schools too so don't anyone get offended here). Emerill probably played stickball on the streets (doesn't he kind of look like Babe Ruth?) and from his high energy level, seemed like one of those kids who would get into fights and liked to get dirty. Alton probably cried if he got his shirt stained. Emerill would've been one of those kids who stole Alton's lunch money and beat him up at the bus stop.

In a cook off? As much I as don't really care for him as a Chef, Emerill would win any day of the week blindfolded and twice on Sundays.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I'm with everyone that asked "who cares" . . . . . .

As for cooking, I think Emeril for sure.

Put 'em in a ring, I don't know. Emeril is stockier, but shorter. Alton is much taller and leaner, so weight may not be too far off. Knowing where Fall River, Massachusetts is, and the nature of the environment there being (at least it was, maybe changed since) more of an industrial type old school union community, Emeril would likely have the street fight smarts. The real only rule in street fighting is you don't lose. That said, Alton looks like he could be fairly athletic, and his height could be an advantage. If E could cut A down to size, E would win. If not, it would at least be a coin toss, and maybe lean towards A.

In a test of knowledge, Alton would win. Emeril certainly knows his stuff, and I mean no disrespect to his culinary mind, but as others have said, Alton knows the science of cooking like the back of his hand. Listening to him commentate on ICA amazes me. I'm not a big fan of Alton, but I don't know anyone who has a chance of knowing more.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydfan
Sheesh dude....I'm just playing around.

Doesn't anybody have a sense of humor?

I guess I just missed the humor in a fist fight between those two, but if you think that's funny, knock yourself out. Get it? Knock yourself out???

BC
Old 03-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
Contest Winner

Am I the only one who likes Alton? I thing he is great... :)
Old 03-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I love Alton. Good Eats is one of the only shows I still watch on the Food network. He is not as good a chef, imo, as Emeril though. I can't stand watching Emeril on TV, but all of his recipes I have tried have been amazing. Altons recipes are good, but not in the same ballpark as Emeril.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
Executive Chef

knowing where Emiril grew up, He would win the fist fight. The cookoff?? Both have their strengths, but my guess is Emiril would as he has years of restaurant experience. Alton is more of a writer commentator. However, I'd be delighted to be his guest for whatever he cooks.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
Am I the only one who likes Alton? I thing he is great... :)
Not at all. He's kinda starting to grow on me. That said, he's an encyclopedia, not a chef. Well, I guess one could argue he's a chef and it could be proven, but not at all at the caliber of Emeril, or many others from ICA and the other FN shows.

His knowledge and ability to be an encyclopedia makes him a perfect host for ICA. He can figure out what is going on and clearly explain it far before I can. I really like his "time outs" during the battle to explain the origin of whatever the secret ingredient is, or chart what cuts of meat come what what parts of the pig, cow, or whatever that is the secret ingredient.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Not at all. He's kinda starting to grow on me. That said, he's an encyclopedia, not a chef. Well, I guess one could argue he's a chef and it could be proven, but not at all at the caliber of Emeril, or many others from ICA and the other FN shows.

His knowledge and ability to be an encyclopedia makes him a perfect host for ICA. He can figure out what is going on and clearly explain it far before I can. I really like his "time outs" during the battle to explain the origin of whatever the secret ingredient is, or chart what cuts of meat come what what parts of the pig, cow, or whatever that is the secret ingredient.
Nothing against Alton, but he's not a chef. Never has been. Getting a culinary degree does not make anyone a chef. He's a cook who knows a lot about food.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #20
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I guess my problem is, Emeril irritates me so much I havent been able to get through a whole show of his! I'm sure he is a great chef, but I find him too loud and brash for me...

If you are wanting to crown King Arrogant, that title goes to Bobby Flay though. He makes amazing dishes, but he is so full of himself!