"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
Am I the only one who likes Alton? I thing he is great... :)
I like his show a lot. I always feel like I learned something.

BC

Old 03-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
My vote is for Emeril. I

like to watch Alton - however, halfway through his show I feel myself start to drift - sort of the way I did in science class in high school.... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, I really like Alton, but sometimes he gets so detailed that I really just don't care anymore. Just tell me, show me, how to cook something with a "brief" description why. That's it for me-my brain can't handle much else.

Now my husband, he loves Alton and gets absorbed into the indepth explanations - the difference between us.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #23
Cook

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree that Emeril would win a cook-off ; I really prefer Alton but it's obvious that Emeril has more experience and some pretty good food.....
Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #24
Master Chef

I don't like to watch/listen to people who yell -- in other words, I like some of emeral's shows, but hate anything with "BAM!" in it. I like shows where his cooking ability is the focus, not the in your face yelling. I agree that Alton's are all about science, which is interesting, but not personality driven like Emeril's shows are. Often when I watch Alton, I wonder why he is going out of his way to make cooking a dish so much harder than it needs to be. I agree Alton is no chef. Emeril seems to be a great chef, but on some of his shows (I guess ones geared to younger people than me) are just so loud and obnoxious I will only watch them with the volume on "mute". I'm getting so I don't watch either very much any more.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #25
Master Chef

I don't know if Emeril is better chef, it could be that Alton is just doing his show, and that is the immage (sp?) he is trying to keep. Maybe he is a great chef too. I've learned a lot from him. Do you remeber the show he was making fun of Iron Chef?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I don't know if Emeril is better chef, it could be that Alton is just doing his show, and that is the immage (sp?) he is trying to keep. Maybe he is a great chef too. I've learned a lot from him. Do you remeber the show he was making fun of Iron Chef?
Alton is no chef. One has to earn the title of a chef to be a chef, or at least be certified by something like the ACF. Alton is a TV personality who has a culinary background and has a lot of book knowledge. The problem is that the American media has made the term cook and chef ubiquitous. Bobby Flay is a chef. Emerill Lagasse is a chef. Tyler Florence is a chef. Alton Brown is not. Rachel Ray is not. Ina Garten is not.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #27
Master Chef

You know I've only seen couple of Inna shows, so I can't tell iether way, but why do you say she is not a chef, she has books sold all over the world?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

Chef is a professional title just as Doctor is. Just because you cook or are around food for a living does not make you a chef.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
You know I've only seen couple of Inna shows, so I can't tell iether way, but why do you say she is not a chef, she has books sold all over the world?
A cookbook author does not make one a chef. Do a search on the internet about the subject, the brigade system, etc. Other people may view it differently, but being that I have had to work my way up the system and that it is my choice of profession, I get insulted when people like Alton Brown and Ina Garten are refered to as chefs because they're not. It's the same way how some doctors feel insulted when people refer to dentists as doctors.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Chef is a professional title just as Doctor is. Just because you cook or are around food for a living does not make you a chef.
Thank you. Good, concise explanation.