"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Chef is a professional title just as Doctor is. Just because you cook or are around food for a living does not make you a chef.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Thank you. Good, concise explanation.
Okay, I'll bite.

What makes a chef as chef? At least from the generally accepted standpoint, no specific paradigms or anything.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #32
Master Chef

I Though Ina was cooking for living, wasn't she? Like i said I have not seen much of her. And even though from what I have seen I did not like her personality and her personaly, but couple of things she cooked looked very good.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Okay, I'll bite.

What makes a chef as chef? At least from the generally accepted standpoint, no specific paradigms or anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef
Old 03-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I Though Ina was cooking for living, wasn't she? Like i said I have not seen much of her. And even though from what I have seen I did not like her personality and her personaly, but couple of things she cooked looked very good.
I'm sure her food is good, but cooking for a living and being a chef are different. That's like saying the french fry guy at McDonald's is a chef because he cooks for a living. Read the link that I posted. It provides a breakdown of sorts.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #35
Senior Cook

no offence to anyone who confuses a cook or an author for a chef, but when you spend 10 years climbing the ranks to chef from scrubbing pots and peeling fava beans to running a restaurant (operations, hiring, food costs, ordering, taking the crap, learning new things ect... not just cooking) then you will understand the true meaning of chef, I know a guy that cuts grass for a living for himself, but he's not the CEO of a corporation.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #36
Senior Cook

http://www.culinary-yours.com/whatsachef.html

This breaks it down pretty good. Emeril has 9 restaurants, alton got a culinary degree so he could have ther knowledge to produce a cooking show. He owns a production co. not a restaurant. So, technically he is a director/producer. He does know a ton about food, and i love his knowledge so please don't misunderstand that, but throw him on my line on a friday night to cook for 300+ and see how much of a CHEF he is.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
OMG. I about blew breakfast out my nose.
OUCH!!!

Emeril would win. (It might be AB, if he bores everyone else to tears.)
Old 03-21-2006, 03:12 AM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Hmmmmm... well according to the wikipedia. I have all of those titles. Except I dont get paid. I havent been to school for cooking either. But I DID work the way up the ladder in my family. When I was around 13 I used to peel things. Now I have my own place and manage the pantry and refridge too!
Anyhow, Emril would beat the snot out of Alton in cooking. AS for a fist fight..... Im not sure alton is tall and in shape it seems. Emeril is short and overweight by a good amount. I would say ALton would win.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Chef is a professional title just as Doctor is. Just because you cook or are around food for a living does not make you a chef.

Very well said GB. Those other ppl that can cook are good, but they didn't have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
for an education nor did they have to slaughter beef just to be able to identify a certain cut. Oh well I could go on and on and on