"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'd invite John Lennon.
It would be nice to thank him for all of the great music that he wrote and performed.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I think I'd invite Meriwether Lewis & William Clark and talk with them about their fantastic journey across our then unexplored country and about visiting all the local native tribes. That must have been (and was) a journey of a lifetime (not counting all the hardships they went through).

Old 08-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Head Chef

Jesus Christ. I'd want to hear about him from his own mouth.

Lee
Old 08-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Helen Keller. Since I was old enough to read her biographies and autobiorgraphy, she has been my inspiration.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
Sous Chef

James Beard

He was supposed to come for a big Mexican dinner a friend and I were cooking (the friend invited him). Sadly he had a major coronary the week before he was supposed to come and never made it. I was scared to death then - now I think it would be a ball!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Gandhi.

I think we all need some lessons in love and peace.
I'm sorry, but I cannot resist recalling a story to you. Recently, my boyfriend and I went to Punta Cana. My two young adult children joined us. My daughter is a new vegetarian, and I suspect she has become one because she succumbed to peer pressure. While we were in Punta Cana we enjoyed some magnificent meals at the resort and there were many many choices for a budding vegetarian. One evening, we dined in a restaurant that mostly catered to carnivores. I was willing to walk with her to another one of the restaurants to help her assemble a plate of suitable viands but, instead, she opted to eat what was being served in the rodizio. (The place was all inclusive, and they would have happily accomodated this request. Also, she knew we wanted to eat in the rodizio. Also, she had already dined on seafood since our arrival at the resort.) My son was giving her a small amount of needling up to this point about her being a lapsed vegetarian. However, once she decided to eat meat in the rodizio, he looked her square in the eye and remarked "Ghandi would have found something to eat".
I'm sorry if I've lost something in the translation of the event, but it was hilarious at the time. I never knew it, but, apparently, Ghandi was a vegetarian, and quite obviously, a better man than my daughter!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol... I hope he was a better "MAN" than your daughter.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I'm sorry, but I cannot resist recalling a story to you. Recently, my boyfriend and I went to Punta Cana. My two young adult children joined us. My daughter is a new vegetarian, and I suspect she has become one because she succumbed to peer pressure. While we were in Punta Cana we enjoyed some magnificent meals at the resort and there were many many choices for a budding vegetarian. One evening, we dined in a restaurant that mostly catered to carnivores. I was willing to walk with her to another one of the restaurants to help her assemble a plate of suitable viands but, instead, she opted to eat what was being served in the rodizio. (The place was all inclusive, and they would have happily accomodated this request. Also, she knew we wanted to eat in the rodizio. Also, she had already dined on seafood since our arrival at the resort.) My son was giving her a small amount of needling up to this point about her being a lapsed vegetarian. However, once she decided to eat meat in the rodizio, he looked her square in the eye and remarked "Ghandi would have found something to eat".
I'm sorry if I've lost something in the translation of the event, but it was hilarious at the time. I never knew it, but, apparently, Ghandi was a vegetarian, and quite obviously, a better man than my daughter!

LOL, Verablue! My SO's granddaughter is a "vegetarian" who loves king crab legs and chicken nuggets.

I guess they're relaxed vegetarians.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Helen Keller. Since I was old enough to read her biographies and autobiorgraphy, she has been my inspiration.
okay, my turn to digress a bit.

My dear dear father had, uhmmm, an unusual sense of humor. He told many jokes, most of which I have forgotten, except this one.

How did Helen Kellers' parents punish her?

They rearranged the furniture ...........
Old 08-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Thank you Andy and Bethzaring!