Whole Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We've been watching the progress of construction for a new Whole Foods in our area. Today is the grand opening!:) Should be interesting browsing.

I love the one by me, and really like that their prices have become more competitive. The specialty stuff, be prepared to pay, but, you at least get what you pay for. It also happens to be the Whole Foods where Emeril shot his Emeril Green Show. When not shooting, he was a pretty approachable guy, and really down to earth.

My favorite part, the sit down "restaurant" style areas. from what I understand, it's one of three Whole Foods in the world that offer this type of set up, and is being used as a model for future stores.

Just a few of the exciting things our new store has to offer:

Wine tasting room with 80 wines on tap
Sausage and smoked meats made in-house
An extensive dry-aged beef selection
Meat and seafood entrees ready to take home and cook
Whole fish cut to order
Wide assortment of shellfish, oysters and smoked fish
Steamed spiced shrimp and seafood salads
Tortillas, pitas and European breads baked fresh daily
Gelato made in-house with over 20 different flavors
Hot bar and two salad bars
Brick oven pizza
Sushi
Whole Baby line of baby products
Extensive produce selection with an emphasis on locally grown and organic
Fresh squeezed juice
Custom floral bouquets
Café seating for over 250
The new Whole Sports Bar
A NEW DINING EXPERIENCE
Visit any one of our sit-down eateries. Seafood features fresh oysters, fish & chips, po-boys, ethnic and seasonal seafood dishes and fish soups. If you have a hankering for a pulled pork sandwich and all the sides, then try the Smokehouse. Travel to Asia where we offer steamed dumplings, dim sum, noodle bowls, sushi and more. The Specialty eatery features artisan grilled cheeses and sandwiches, delicious soups and cheese plates. All of our eateries offer beer and wine as well as kids menus.

Last edited:
Awesome! I love the Whole foods store. Our closest one is over an hour away.:-( I wish one would open closer to me.

There are a few things I like, pasta sauce, beans and grains, some hard to find juices, etc.

But by and large I find them waaaay too spendy for what you get.

The prepared food is horrible, as they don't season it. But only have 2 of the "restaurant style" WF here. Maybe they are better.

Our Whole Foods type store has eat in from the hot or cold deli section and an extensive soup and salad bar. They also hold weekly cooking classes, many times full participation in the meal and then you get to eat your creations. They also hold free seminars on healthy eating and Special Diets, i.e. Gluten-Free, Diabetic, Cardiac, Renal. I can spend the day in there and it's not a large store.

If you think about it, have a peek at the different shopper's shopping cart or basket at WF. Everyone buys VERY different things!

Craig, where do you live?

SE Florida. Drove past on my way to a vendor, wow there is a line out the door to get in.:ohmy:

I do not like ice-cream, ok how can you not like ice cream, so probably the right thing to say is I am never excited about it, but will eat some chocolate or strawberry flavor.
Whole foods have this, mmm, well it is not even real ice cream it is none-dairy rather something, anyways it is called "pomegranate chip ice cream". That stuff is beyond good, I can eat the whole darn container. It should be hot enough in Florida, if you go there pick one up. I was trying to find a picture of it for you, but could only find a link to a store, but with picture, so moderators I am not advertising for any kind of store, just want to show a picture of the container. Here it is:
Redirect Notice

Thanks Charlie. Do they offer any other versions you have tried? It just happens that is one of the few fruits I don't care for.:(

I know that brand - it has tons of flavors!

I like their peanut butter chocolate too. And they have a delicious cookie dough ice cream !

We've been watching the progress of construction for a new Whole Foods in our area. Today is the grand opening!:) Should be interesting browsing.
We also have one just getting ready to open down the street from where I work. I've been to other WF locations and am looking forward to the convenience of having one close by.

There's a Whole Pay Check being built up north of me...Two to the South that I have visited several times...Not really impressed ~~ Some of their 365 label stuff is pretty good however.

We have a Whole Foods store out here...but, I must admit... I miss Wegman's back east. Most of my shopping is done at Safeway and WinCo

Last edited:
I've never had the opportunity to visit any Whole Foods store and there aren't any anywhere near where we live, so I can't offer an opinion. Still, I imagine it would be an interesting excursion if I ever get the chance.

There are a few things I like, pasta sauce, beans and grains, some hard to find juices, etc.

But by and large I find them waaaay too spendy for what you get.

The prepared food is horrible, as they don't season it. But only have 2 of the "restaurant style" WF here. Maybe they are better.
I have at least two WFMs nearby and I shop there occasionally. You're right, they're way too spendy.

I find them best when I occasionally want to browse some luxury ingredients, and occasionally to buy a few favorite products I haven't found elsewhere:

Emmi cave aged Gruyere cheese. (There's two kinds and I forgot the details--know them when I see them--I think one is aged longer and that's the one I like.) WFM is usually sold out, and at times I've asked them to phone me when they got more, and at times they have.

Lundberg's Jubilee brown rice mix. (www.lundberg.com) my very favorite brown rice ever. Not spendy at all.

Last edited:
When we spent part of the winter in Miami we had a Wild Oats store nearby it was then bought by Wholefoods, We liked the shop a lot because we could by European products.

i used to go to the wf at columbus circle for all of our holiday roasts thinking they'd be worth the extra bucks for the special occasion at hand. after a few years, we came to the realization that the quality of the various meats wasn't really that much better (if at all), and wasn't worth several dollars more per pound.

the only time i go there now is for hard to find specialty organic things on rare occasion.

the only time i go there now is for hard to find specialty organic things on rare occasion.

Items like the Kaffir lime leaves we got yesterday, that I haven't been able to find in any of the asian markets!;)

Craig, they do have a lot of different flavors, but the flavor of it is so subtle you'll never know it is pomegranate (a side note to self, how can anybody possibly not like pomegranate?)

Some of us live in places where we're lucky to have Piggly-Wiggly and Wal-Mart. I haven't been to Madison in ages, well over two years, but when I do go, Whole Foods is a must-do stop. No, of course I can't possibly afford to shop there for my regular groceries. But there are so many things I just cannot get around here that when I do see a Whole Foods, there's no just driving by it.

I loved Trader Joes when we were near one. When I lived in old town Alexandria, Sutton Place Gourmet was a must-stop every few weeks. I couldn't possibly afford to do regular shopping at these places, they're for special ingredients for special meals. When I'm through with a meal with special ingredients from some of these places, we set the table in style, and know we're getting a restaurant quality meal (now, if I could only afford a waiter and a maid!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom