"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Whole Foods bans sale of live lobsters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060615/.../live_lobsters

Old 06-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Head Chef

This is about the most idiotic story I have heard in years.

Lobsters, I have been told, are lower on the evolutionary scale than cockroaches.

Do they respond to stimuli, can they seek out food, do they take self protective actions? They sure do.

But so do earthworms, the fore mentioned cockroaches, the lowly mosquito, and bed bugs, to name a few.

Who in the Whole Foods chain came up with this anthropomorphic view of the lobster, I have no idea.

That genius just lost my business from the market.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

From now on, Whole Foods will only sell frozen raw and cooked lobster products at its more than 180 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, said Margaret Wittenberg, vice president of quality standards. And the chain will only deal with suppliers meeting their standards for humane treatment, handling and processing.

That is a direct quote from the article. So they will only sell frozen raw and cooked lobsters So they dont mind if they are frozen to death or cooked before they purchase them to sell.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Master Chef

Amber, I had the same reaction!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Or - What about the shrimp and local seafood they buy right off the dock that's 2 blocks away from our Whole Foods?

Or - what about that screaming sound you hear when you tear a head of lettuce from the ground, or pluck the beans from the plant?

Wonder where he's gonna stop?

I think this is just a publicity stunt to make the owner look oh, so PC.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Master Chef

It was only a matter of time. I posted a Washington Post article over on the Seafood forum last month announcing Whole Food's decision to stop selling live softshell crabs. They made mention at that time that they were also reviewing their policy concerning live lobster & crayfish.

So what's next? Live clams, mussels, oysters, etc.? They're live when sold.

You can thank the PETA people for this nonsense.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

"...they could not ensure the creatures are treated with respect and compassion."

But eating them is OK?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
Sous Chef

The only reason we don't boil PETA members is because they taste so lousy. :D

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:22 AM   #9
Senior Cook

The only thing that concerns me about this is that the wackos have just secured another foothold. For some reason, it is okay for all the other predators in the world to be predators, but since humans are the ultimate predators, we are for some reason thought of by other humans as being evil.

Many of the people who think this way seem to also think the world would be better off without humans, and the amazing thing to me is that they are not generally seen as being insane. Think of it this way, what if a Bengal tiger suddenly started attempting genocide on all other Bengal tigers because he felt guilty about being a predator? The thing is, this would never happen, because Bengal tigers feel no guilt whatsoever about predation.

We've already endured many problems regarding our "inhumane" treatment of chickens and bovines. The thing most people don't realize is that "free range chickens" only means they can leave the chicken coop whenever they want to; they still come back to eat, and perhaps the biggest point here is that they do.

As to bovines, most of them wouldn't even exist if it weren't for us breeding and protecting them. I am reminded of the time an animal rights group "freed" a bunch of mink. The next morning, most of them were found squashed on the adjacent highway.

Yes, we affect our environment. So has any predator who has ever lived. So has the prey. As evolution has decreed, over and over again, if we don't deserve to live, we won't. Spare me the moralizing. We eat what we eat, and if we have learned to farm, domesticate, and harvest animals, good for us. The main thing we do that the other predators have not is to make sure our prey survives.

Our dentition and history mark us as omnivores, and I for one am glad of it. I love fruits, nuts, plants, animals, and whatever else you set in front of me. If I want live lobster, this is my right as being a member of the genus and species at the top of the food chain.

I have incisors, canines, and molars, which evolved to let me pretty much eat any thing I ****-well please. I really hate it when someone tells me that the human digestive tract does not contain the necessary "enzymes" to digest red meat. Idiots!

Screw people who are against people!

Sorry for the rant, but this is the sort of thing that really burns me up! I'm really glad no chains in my neighborhood have succumbed to such idiocy!

Kelly
Old 06-18-2006, 06:00 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Good thoughts, Kelly - I don't think the big chains are going to follow suit; as I said before, I think this is a publicity stunt created by the owner of WF to gain more attention, and seem more PC. He's been interviewed all over the place this past couple of weeks - not on the lobster issue, but on his 'philosophy' in general. He's just another aging hippie who's found corporate greed - IMVVHO!